over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Inguinal Hernia

j4ever

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I have had this for the past few years, it has been very small and painless, but over the last couple of days it has increased in size and is painful, has anyone had this? I am going to have to get surgery, Can you give me an idea of recovery? as far as getting back to everyday life and training?

Yes, you need surgery.

I had varicocele. Similar procedure.

Doc will probably tell you 2 weeks. Make it 3 months. Trust me on this. 3 whole months without any lifting, sitting on hard surface for long periods, standing for too long or even driving a stick. Mine was in 2001, I still feel local numbness and pain if I ride a bike.

Not sure how the procedures are done in the US, but try to avoid an epidural if you can. I still feel mine to this day. My back has never been the same.

I had one of these repaired as a teenager back in 1994 when they were fixing them with flexible mesh. My Dr. told me to avoid training for 2-3 months but being who I am and being a egocentric teenager I was back in the gym in 3 weeks. Of course I didn't start going heavy again for another 3 months after that. But three consecutive weeks and I was back in the gym. Do you know how they plan to repair it?

I had one of these repaired as a teenager back in 1994 when they were fixing them with flexible mesh. My Dr. told me to avoid training for 2-3 months but being who I am and being a egocentric teenager I was back in the gym in 3 weeks. Of course I didn't start going heavy again for another 3 months after that. But three consecutive weeks and I was back in the gym. Do you know how they plan to repair it?

suppose to be a mesh that fits on the inside and outside of abdominal wall, will be a laparoscopic repair, suppose to take about 45 minutes and i will have to stay for approx. 1 hour after procedure. I have not consulted with the doc yet, I just somewhat know someone that works in the office.

Yes, you need surgery.

Doc will probably tell you 2 weeks. Make it 3 months. Trust me on this. 3 whole months without any lifting, sitting on hard surface for long periods, standing for too long or even driving a stick. Mine was in 2001, I still feel local numbness and pain if I ride a bike.

Not sure how the procedures are done in the US, but try to avoid an epidural if you can. I still feel mine to this day. My back has never been the same.

thanks, yeah I know what you mean about the epidural, I have had it before, but it will not be needed for this procedure.

I had laproscopic surgery, mesh implanted. I never had actual pain, and probably continued lifting for 6mo after I discovered it, before surgery, without problems. I was 52yo.
Dr said don't lift hard for 3mo. I started lifting light in 10d, making sure not to build pressure or build pressure in the abdomen, by breathing steady. Id say I did this for 3-4wks while going progressively heavier. In 8wks I was at full strength, and 10wks for squats. I certainly pushed the envelope, but never suffered any problem, luckily.

Yes, you need surgery.

3 months?? Terrible advice man lol. I was back to light lifting in 2 weeks. Each week I was able to progress weight wise. After 5 weeks I was back to normal lifting. There's no reason you need to wait any longer then 2 weeks to start light lifting.

3 months?? Terrible advice man lol. I was back to light lifting in 2 weeks. Each week I was able to progress weight wise. After 5 weeks I was back to normal lifting. There's no reason you need to wait any longer then 2 weeks to start light lifting.

Well. I was back at normal activities in 10 days and lifting in 3 weeks and I regret.

I have one and have had it for about three years now.

First doc said I needed surgery. Got a second opinion and the other doc said it wasn't "large" enough to warrant surgery, since I told him it wasn't causing me much discomfort, but I obviously knew something was there.

Second doc said that getting surgery could possibly cause more damage, if anything, and to get in touch with an orthopedic surgeon.

I'm not entirely sure it is a "hernia"--it feels more like a wicked pinched nerve if anything.

Massages have helped, as has supplementation with NGF supps, such as Lion's mane and rhodiola. Working out and building my core has also improved the area.

When I deadlift--granted not a yuge amount--it doesn't cause any pain or trouble. I'm mindful about lifts and strive to be careful with movements and whatnot.

I also found some tutorials online of exercises to help isolate and strengthen the muscles in that area.

When I first had it, pain was noticeable, but I could manage. Since getting back to lifting, and again targeted massages, the pain is minimal. It's mental, in a way, as I know it's there, but there isn't any pain reminder.

Good luck to you. Check out other options, if you can, perhaps you can avoid surgery. I've read many stories about guys getting nerve damage as a result--seems like it caused more problems than anything.

I would say it depends, mine was associated with a muscle tear. I was in the operating room in 2 days, for a ~4 hour open surgery. It took 3-4 months to even think about shitting aggressively...

I had mine 11 years ago. They were able to do the laparoscopic procedure and put in the little mesh. I went out for a couple drinks that night (yeah, I was an idiot).

I had it on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. I think I waited a few weeks before lifting, and I started light.

As long as they don't have to do the invasive procedure like Allex described, don't worry too much. Not that big a deal.

I've had both inguiniel and umbilical hernias repaired..full speed in 5 weeks. After 2 weeks the mesh is not going to tear. I often believe doctors and some physical therapists are way too conservative.

i had a varicocele as well Allexx... they found it in my physical signing up for the Army.. told me i was suppose to be healed up and back ready to go in 4-6 weeks after a "simple surgery" .... something happened tho in the surgery and i was fucked up for over a year... had like 4 additional surgeries trying to correct it and series of nerve blocker injections right into the sac.... after asking them to do it every week for a year so i could goto Iraq, they finally removed my nut... then when they removed it i woke up and the chord it attaches to recoiled up into my lower abdomen and they put me right back to sleep and cut me open again to remove that... the whole thing was like 10 years ago, was brutal pain, the worst of my life ...

the only advice i can give is goto the BESTTTT highest rated clinic/hospital you can even if you have to drive 3-4 hours... I went to a little general hospital for the initial procedure and then went out to Cleveland Clinic to try to fix wtf those other docs did...

Mine was congenital. Daad had one, Sister had one, they never lifted weights.
I never actually did a lift and was lift WHOOPS and knew I caused a hernia. I just felt the lump one day.

Remember how the Dr would ask you to lie down and turn your head and cough, and he would feel you in the abdomen/inguinal while you performed his instructions? That would be one way to see if its a hernia... or something else.
If you cough and feel the lump 'pop' out a little, its probably a hernia.

i had a varicocele as well Allexx... they found it in my physical signing up for the Army.. told me i was suppose to be healed up and back ready to go in 4-6 weeks after a "simple surgery" .... something happened tho in the surgery and i was fucked up for over a year... had like 4 additional surgeries trying to correct it and series of nerve blocker injections right into the sac.... after asking them to do it every week for a year so i could goto Iraq, they finally removed my nut... then when they removed it i woke up and the chord it attaches to recoiled up into my lower abdomen and they put me right back to sleep and cut me open again to remove that... the whole thing was like 10 years ago, was brutal pain, the worst of my life ...

the only advice i can give is goto the BESTTTT highest rated clinic/hospital you can even if you have to drive 3-4 hours... I went to a little general hospital for the initial procedure and then went out to Cleveland Clinic to try to fix wtf those other docs did...

Amen to everything you wrote.

I was supposed to be operated at a major hospital but my insurance back then only approved the procedure at a more local unit and only open surgery.

The doctors insisted it was very simple and after a month I wouldn't feel anything.

I was fucked up for a couple of years and to this day I don't feel like my old self in the groin area and the back.

If I knew back then I would have insisted or found another insurance company or whatever.

These are not simple procedures, as much as the doctors tell you they are.

Find the best in the country and sell your car if you have to

I've had both inguiniel and umbilical hernias repaired..full speed in 5 weeks. After 2 weeks the mesh is not going to tear. I often believe doctors and some physical therapists are way too conservative.

Let's hope people are smart enough to listen to their Dr. and not some dudes bro science advice on the Internet.....

I'm finally going in to the doc to get advice on a surgeon next week. I have had an inguinal hernia for a full year now. Honestly it was REALLY small at first, when I got really lean last summer I thought it was just a thicker vein I had never seen before because of how lean I had gotten on my cut. As I went back into bulking season I must have made it slightly bigger doing deadlifts or squats, because since it now is about the size of a deviled egg (basically half an egg). It goes away when I am not moving (or sleeping at night) but upon any exertion (even a cough or a sneeze) it can pop out somewhat. I have developed a habit of lifting the my right leg (hernia is on the right groin side) before I sneeze or cough and it doesn't happen. It's not painful but it's weird and the GF considers it to be quite unsightly, going to have it worked on. I have a bulk planned starting pretty soon though so I have to decide if I should hold out 12 more weeks or give it a rest this winter.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131