over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Inner-chest Development

say what you will..but I never really thought much of my "inner chest" until I started doing cable crossovers with moderate weight. Lovin Dante's chest stretches also

say what you will..but I never really thought much of my "inner chest" until I started doing cable crossovers with moderate weight. Lovin Dante's chest stretches also

But still you are training your total chest and NOT isolating anything.....Thats the point i was trying to make. The only way to make your "inner" chest grow is to make your whole chest grow. i.e. doesnt really matter which excercise. Incline will activate your entire muscle anyway, just as decline will do.

Question answered...

But still you are training your total chest and NOT isolating anything.....Thats the point i was trying to make. The only way to make your "inner" chest grow is to make your whole chest grow. i.e. doesnt really matter which excercise. Incline will activate your entire muscle anyway, just as decline will do.

Guys, if I try to read between the lines here, I think we've actually answered the question, but getting lost in semantics. Can I try to bring this to a summary?

1) I think everyone here accepts that the entire muscle is activated during an exercise (incline, decline, flat, etc.). No disagreement there.

2) Different angles can EMPHASIZE one area more than others (but yes, the entire muscle is activated!). Again, EMG analysis confirms this.

Cool?

I can TRY...

What you are suggesting is that you can change the recruitment pattern of a muscle by changing positions/angles of movement. Please post the EMG analysis as I would be very interested to see this.

Quick note- I wouldn't say "change recruitment pattern". When a muscle fiber "fires" it follows the "all or none" principle. It either does or doesn't. But when working a muscle along the angle of it's origin and insertion you will simply recruit those fibers more than others.

Try this-
1) Hold your right arm out parallel to the floor and your left hand over your chest.

2) Now squeeze your right arm downward into your body with your left hand spread enough to feel the entire chest.

3) Repeat step one.

4) Now squeeze your arm ACROSS your body, neck level (arm parallel to the floor). Again, with your left hand spread apart enough on your chest to feel the entire muscle.

I think you will feel a noticeable difference on muscle contraction. The entire chest is activated, but different parts are recruited MORE, not different.

Muscle, I can try to find some studies online. I sincerely prefer to see studies myself. In all honesty, this is coming from about 10 years ago during my Kine studies and all my research journals from the NSCA and ACSM. All those journals have long been tossed years ago. I am now in the medical field and whatever books I have laying around pretty much are in that area.

Can you elaborate?

I hope from the last post we've been able to somewhat come to a resolution on this matter.

I am curious though Iron, can you elaborate? What have you been doing? What difference have you noticed?

As myosin pointed out, different exercises and going at a muscle from a different angle will emphasize different areas.. For example, after not training for a couple years, I started doing just flat bench for chest for a few months..
I then decided to do incline bench instead - still working the chest, yes.. But once I was doing inclines, my UPPER chest would be pretty sore the next day, which wasn't the case doing flat bench.. I worked the muscle from a different angle, and put the emphasis on the upper chest.. I don't think there's much you can argue with here.. It's the same concept of when I started doing DB flies, my OUTER chest would be sore.

even though you can use favorable mechanical positions, and stress a particular recruitment pattern to a greater extent, once that "area" begins to fatigue, what do you think will happen? The rest of the muscle will be forced to compensate, since its all contracting anyways.

i.e. "upper chest" recruitment begins to fatigue at rep 8 on incline, the rest of the pectoralis will then compensate to continue. Don't forget, muscle fatigue is only a SMALL portion of failure. The periphreal and central nervous system are responsible for muscle contraction to a much greater degree.

And to put it into further perspective, an incline bench will only de-emphasize the lower chest - not necessarily increase stimulation on the upper chest.

I finally started filling out my entire chest by doing floor presses, declines and chest dips (leaning way forward, don't go too low as to overstretch the shoulders). Incline only gave me shoulder issues and I stagnated over and over again.

No offense but

even though you can use favorable mechanical positions, and stress a particular recruitment pattern to a greater extent, once that "area" begins to fatigue, what do you think will happen? The rest of the muscle will be forced to compensate, since its all contracting anyways.

i.e. "upper chest" recruitment begins to fatigue at rep 8 on incline, the rest of the pectoralis will then compensate to continue. Don't forget, muscle fatigue is only a SMALL portion of failure. The periphreal and central nervous system are responsible for muscle contraction to a much greater degree.

I cant believe how much full of shit you are.........I mean really? The 8th rep on the incline huh? Then the "rest of the muscle".....explain what the "rest" part of the muscle will compensate.

Clarification...

And to put it into further perspective, an incline bench will only de-emphasize the lower chest - not necessarily increase stimulation on the upper chest.

I finally started filling out my entire chest by doing floor presses, declines and chest dips (leaning way forward, don't go too low as to overstretch the shoulders). Incline only gave me shoulder issues and I stagnated over and over again.

Thanks Blade, I think one thing may have been missed friend. We weren't talking about "incline only" work.

As far as injury's go- well, I think everyone could list an injury by an exercise that someone else never experienced, i.e., some never have problems with shoulder and incline, but perhaps they had an issue with bench and shoulder. Also, incline bench discussion is something that is a thread on it's own as the angle of the incline is a VERY important topic. Some go WAY to high on it. Also range of motion can be an issue too.

Absolutely- you need different angles, declines are great. No one said otherwise.

Last edited:
I cant believe how much full of shit you are.........I mean really? The 8th rep on the incline huh? Then the "rest of the muscle".....explain what the "rest" part of the muscle will compensate.

Oh, no offense taken....really.
8th rep was just an example. 8/10 per say. The vague "rest" term was being used because (if you would have been reading the rest of the thread you would have seen), myosin was saying that people were playing semantics games. Too much debate over nomenclature, when the principal being discussed was pretty obvious.
Also, your last sentance is an english teachers nightmare. LOL. I'm not sure if it's a question or a statement. Either way, I get the jist...

Well

Oh, no offense taken....really.
8th rep was just an example. 8/10 per say. The vague "rest" term was being used because (if you would have been reading the rest of the thread you would have seen), myosin was saying that people were playing semantics games. Too much debate over nomenclature, when the principal being discussed was pretty obvious.
Also, your last sentance is an english teachers nightmare. LOL. I'm not sure if it's a question or a statement. Either way, I get the jist...

I actually never said "no ofense"......but I meant it.....anywho.......................( is anywho english?) .......my point was that its not the chest compensating on inclines, it is the anterior delts....but good lookin out on the sentence structure.

I actually never said "no ofense"......but I meant it.....anywho.......................( is anywho english?) .......my point was that its not the chest compensating on inclines, it is the anterior delts....but good lookin out on the sentence structure.

I agree Phil, that the anterior delts do HELP to compensate, but if the AD fatigue, and your chest still has more to give (assuming one knows how to properly execute an incline bench press) it will certainly compensate to a much greater extent.

For example, if you know how to properly execute the lift (flat db for example), your triceps and delts should not give out before your chest does. If it does, you have some serious weak points that need to be addressed before you start worrying about "upper chest"

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws