over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Input on Using Statins

swim15

Registered
I’ve done some reading on the statin threads here but wanted to get some input from the medically knowledgeable guys on here. I understand there’s some highly varied opinions on them and I have always been generally against them in most circumstances but have re-evaluated some thoughts recently.

Relevant background - I’m 25 years old (been on HRT since 18 after seeing lots of docs due to genetic hormone issues). I’ve competed although it isn’t a huge priority. The main point is that I will be on gear, generally above natural levels, for the rest of my life starting at a younge age.

Been focusing on long term health/longevity lately as it’s not been a huge focus in the past and diet changes have been a huge part of that (lots more whole/raw food, fruits, veggies, fiber, etc). Also because the issues I see a lot of old timers having.

That said, gear obviously has a long term impact on a lot of things, lipids being one and decades of use will eventually have its effects.

To help negate potential negative changes in the long term I recently started low dose atorvastatin at 10mg per day with the idea to continue indefinitely to combat long term lipid changes and, subsequently, problems that can arise.

For the medical guys here - obviously statins have issues and diet can help mitigate to an extent but given the acceptance of lifelong gear usage, do you see or not see this as a reasonable risk to benefit effort?

im on them....it is also in my opinion that anyone taking gear or more importantly planning to stay on for years should absolutely take them.

the sides are overblown in my opinion, and i also think they get a bad rap considering they save lives....my 80 year old mother has been on them for 30 years and is still going strong.

ill continue to take them for precautionary reasons as long as i use gear.
my total cholesterol is never over 140 while on.

I’m all about long term preventative measures but have you exhausted your options with diet and natural supplements? Do you have a basis with bloodwork which supports your use of statins and fear of cholesterol issues or are you just taking this extreme measure in the name of being thorough?

I feel like statins should be used if you have no other choice, not really as a preventiative measure although that is just from my personal expierence and thought process.

I know a lot of doctor bashing goes on here, a lot of it for good reason, and I’m not necessarily trying to do that but just keep in mind that doctors have incentive to prescribe you things which may be leading to your belief that statins are just another tool in the box which I don’t think they are. I say that because my father was diagnosed with high cholesterol and my family and I put him on a better diet and I gave him some supplements which helped with cholesterol with the idea that we would try that first before jumping on a drug he would have to take for the rest of his life and keep his shitty diet. The doctor had no interest in it and basically talked down to me in the effort to convince my father to just go on statins and not even try, didn’t make one bit of sense to me and I wanted to strangle him.

I’m all about long term preventative measures but have you exhausted your options with diet and natural supplements? Do you have a basis with bloodwork which supports your use of statins and fear of cholesterol issues or are you just taking this extreme measure in the name of being thorough?

I feel like statins should be used if you have no other choice, not really as a preventiative measure although that is just from my personal expierence and thought process.

I know a lot of doctor bashing goes on here, a lot of it for good reason, and I’m not necessarily trying to do that but just keep in mind that doctors have incentive to prescribe you things which may be leading to your belief that statins are just another tool in the box which I don’t think they are. I say that because my father was diagnosed with high cholesterol and my family and I put him on a better diet and I gave him some supplements which helped with cholesterol with the idea that we would try that first before jumping on a drug he would have to take for the rest of his life and keep his shitty diet. The doctor had no interest in it and basically talked down to me in the effort to convince my father to just go on statins and not even try, didn’t make one bit of sense to me and I wanted to strangle him.

The doctor you are talking about is either idiot or disillusioned.

I can understand the latter - it's really hard to believe people that they'll turn their life around (diet and exercise-wise) after hearing it thousands of times and it happening nowhere near that often, to put it mildly.

Your advice is perfect, this is exactly lege artis - exactly as a good doctor would say it.

Diet is as good as it can be and mitigated through other natural supplementation methods as well for cholesterol support. I think it’s different with the general population because just mitigating through diet/exercise is essentially always enough in those cases if someone is dedicated.

I wouldn’t call it particularly extreme though. We have guys running grams of gear/growth and a million other things on here, what makes the lowest effective dose of a statin extreme?

My thought process is essentially this - my diet is going to be the same (excellent) whether I’m on a statin or not. However, I do know I’ll be on gear for the next 5+ decades or until I bite the dust. So, given that, would statins help me live longer and mitigate some of the cumulative impacts of AAS (to an extent that nothing else will), or not?

Right now my personal thought is yes but wanted to get more input in case there were factors or thoughts I had not fully considered.

for me its really a combination of both. we all know steroids cause an increase in cholesterol and decrease hdl. we know compounds like tren, winny, dbol and even testosterone taken in large amounts will increase it even if the diet is spot on.
last june i came off of them....stayed on my current cycle at the time and still did the cardio and watched my diet of course and my numbers 8 weeks later were scary. total went from 140 to 268 with an ldl of 226 i suppose everyone is different......went back on them right after and will never come off. i dont get the muscle pains and liver values are normal.

now my total is 134 with an ldl of 89.

i also look at it this way....we will have no problem injecting these compounds with all these reverse effects, but were afraid of a statin that can potentially save your life? that never made sense to me.

im on them....it is also in my opinion that anyone taking gear or more importantly planning to stay on for years should absolutely take them.

the sides are overblown in my opinion, and i also think they get a bad rap considering they save lives....my 80 year old mother has been on them for 30 years and is still going strong.

ill continue to take them for precautionary reasons as long as i use gear.
my total cholesterol is never over 140 while on.

Gotgame is a very well respected member on this board. He has talked about using small dosages of statins to prevent damage, more so when one is using AAS.

Then, there are lots of articles out there basking them stating they do nothing to save lives.

Do you notice any improvements in HDL too?

By the way bigsonbitch, can you clear your inbox?

Last edited:
I’ve done some reading on the statin threads here but wanted to get some input from the medically knowledgeable guys on here. I understand there’s some highly varied opinions on them and I have always been generally against them in most circumstances but have re-evaluated some thoughts recently.

Relevant background - I’m 25 years old (been on HRT since 18 after seeing lots of docs due to genetic hormone issues). I’ve competed although it isn’t a huge priority. The main point is that I will be on gear, generally above natural levels, for the rest of my life starting at a younge age.

Been focusing on long term health/longevity lately as it’s not been a huge focus in the past and diet changes have been a huge part of that (lots more whole/raw food, fruits, veggies, fiber, etc). Also because the issues I see a lot of old timers having.

That said, gear obviously has a long term impact on a lot of things, lipids being one and decades of use will eventually have its effects.

To help negate potential negative changes in the long term I recently started low dose atorvastatin at 10mg per day with the idea to continue indefinitely to combat long term lipid changes and, subsequently, problems that can arise.

For the medical guys here - obviously statins have issues and diet can help mitigate to an extent but given the acceptance of lifelong gear usage, do you see or not see this as a reasonable risk to benefit effort?

When in doubt, review the studies in the PDR (if you can understand all that statistical crap intentionally used to confuse even doctors) make your own decision based on the known facts i.e. evidence-based medical medicine. If that is beyond your scope, then refer to the recommendations outlined by the USPSTF (Unites States Preventive Services Task Force). Keep in mind that the USPSTF is supposed to be unbiased but some of it is not. Thus, be vigilant in what you read and what recommendations you should follow.

https://www.uspreventiveservicestas...revention-of-cardiovascular-disease-in-adults

Gotgame is a very well respected member on this board. He has talked about using small dosages of statins to prevent damage, more so when one is using AAS.

Then, there are lots of articles out there basking them stating they do nothing to save lives.

Do you notice any improvements in HDL too?

By the way bigsonbitch, can you clear your inbox?

Inbox cleared

My hdl was 17 when I came off the statins - since going back on, my hdl is back up to 33
Still low, but my cardiologist mentioned since my hs-CRP was .6 and ldl is under 90, and trigs in the low 60s, having a low hdl isn't a big deal. He's the top cardiologist at NYU medical center and is on Dr radio on Sirius satellite

Last edited:
Inbox cleared

My hdl was 17 when I came off the statins - since going back on, my hdl is back up to 33
Still low, but my cardiologist mentioned since my hs-CRP was .6 and ldl is under 90, and trigs in the low 60s, having a low hdl isn't a big deal. He's the top cardiologist at NYU medical center and is on Dr radio on Sirius satellite

been on one for 13 years, my cholesterol has been perfect since my doctor put me on one. i am diabetic so this is part of the reason also. dont listen to people, especially pm doctors. keep doing what your doing

For those of you who are taking them, which one and what dose?

Have you guys had any noticeable impact on muscle building or performance? Was mostly curious due to decreases in mitochondria numbers

For those of you who are taking them, which one and what dose?

Have you guys had any noticeable impact on muscle building or performance? Was mostly curious due to decreases in mitochondria numbers

Ive been on for almost 11 years now. I started out on Crestor then switched to Lipitor when it went generic, for the cost. I use/used the highest of the two dose sizes for both of them. Forget the mg measurement.

Never had any problems that I can tell.

Ive been on for almost 11 years now. I started out on Crestor then switched to Lipitor when it went generic, for the cost. I use/used the highest of the two dose sizes for both of them. Forget the mg measurement.

Never had any problems that I can tell.

Crestor is rosuvastatin (40mg highest) and lipitor is atorvastatin (80mg highest). Thanks for the input man!

Mine might all be coincidental but the first time i took crestor, had a test shot the next day and within 1 week suddenly had a dvt???

Nit sure if its all a coincidence or if the crestor had anything to do with dislodging or causing the clot, but, with having high cholesterol, it is kind of concerning to me,

I may venture back towards one IF it doesnt cause me any sides

I know doctor oconnor (steroid doc) says its best to be on a low dose statin IF u cannot keep ur cholesterol down thru other means then it might be worth it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine might all be coincidental but the first time i took crestor, had a test shot the next day and within 1 week suddenly had a dvt???

Nit sure if its all a coincidence or if the crestor had anything to do with dislodging or causing the clot, but, with having high cholesterol, it is kind of concerning to me,

I may venture back towards one IF it doesnt cause me any sides

I know doctor oconnor (steroid doc) says its best to be on a low dose statin IF u cannot keep ur cholesterol down thru other means then it might be worth it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've seen one of his videos where he says he takes low dose crestor for prevention. I don't think he mentioned actual dosage though.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131