advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Insight and Opinions - Old Guys can gain muscle?

Wonton

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
First - Like to say - yes sir older guys can def gain muscle - maybe not all but def some -

Little story first - Quit lifting probably 5 years ago - I became frustrated , reading this and that on the forum and ever getting any bigger after putting in the time.
Obviously I didn't know my ass from my elbow and wasn't smart enough to hire someone that could guide me. At the time I quit I was 177 lean muscle - Hydrostatic - not the best but not the worst in getting the lean and fat figures. 68 inches - I know a ton of you are monsters sitting at 245 255 etc - but as a individual I competed with myself and lost !

So I decided to get back into it because I was and am if i survive - hitting 60 yrs old in no time

Sept 2021 I believe I started dieting - hired a coach in October - and I did a hydrostatic test - tested at like 170 lbs muscle - and I weighed 210 - 212 - Unfort I don't have that test available atm to post up..but I asked the company to email me a copy. From 210 to 212 I went to 188 total body weight -
Then in March I retested my lean body mass it was 175 lean - so muscle recovery of 5 lbs - now my goal was only to get to 182 or 188 lean because I thought that would be very hard to accomplish.
I hired a new coach June 4 th but I still have the old coach as well because ..well I paid for a year and I'm to stupid to ask for a refund and he might add some value , even if small value better then nothing, since my age is a limiting factor...also I consider that money gone anyway so.

Also when I was 188 189 I started doing my own thing - I didn't follow my coaches advice to stay at my low diet calories...and I didn't cycle like he wanted...I went higher much higher - he was very very low - reason I stopped following because I realized he wasn't giving me the time of day and my time was important to me.

March 175 lean muscle
May I had an operation and didn't lift for 6 weeks
Hire a new coach June 14 ish
Dexa scan July 30 186.9 lean 8.76% fat

Thing is the new coach who I love and I have spoken about - the food is so intense - was having huge issues with it after a couple weeks - so I went a head an tweaked it myself - My thoughts was tweak it for a couple weeks and then reattempt to do the diet the coach laid out for me....maybe find better food sources I could handle etc, raisins, non fat greek yogurt - jasmine rice...instead of brown - soak my oats - etc

Now after I took the dexa Im not ...there is no freaken way for me to be 186.7 and 8.7% fat - thats just stupid - because when I was 188 - I had veins every where - I was starvin marvin !! But now...veins but not like before

So I sent the dexa to both coaches..the first coach..hasn't even looked at it..the second coach was like...Dam - but he mentioned my RMR and said - your calories are so much higher then they probably need to be based on RMR - even after adding in my activity level etc... but apparently your burning them off because your 8.7% fat

So I came clean with him and told him...listen I haven't checked in for a 2 weeks because Im not following the plan...I lowered it
Well we discussed and he was and is always very professional -
But I had a light bulb...let me help myself and my coach out...let me get the REAL RMR test -

So I've attached my RMR test and my current dexascan results and if someone has any opinion on that - feel free
WHY SO DAM LOW !!

What I am so shocked is how LOW my RMR is... I think I understand why maybe I don't lose muscle fast because my requirements are so dam low
Am also shocked on the muscle gain in 3 or 4 months I made.

So now Im thinking I want to get to 192 or 202 but want to focus on attempting to putting it on in the right areas so my physique is more appealing

I'm not looking for compliments or anything - just sharing my experience

Also I decided come march 2023 - im done with high cycles and just gonna lift for the enjoyment - which I do now but I'm also striving for mass

Btw the picture of the guy sitting isn't me...its just to show people the test incase they didn't know

Attachments

• PROm Dexascan.png
    PROm Dexascan.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Prom RMR.png
    Prom RMR.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 30
So I said I would put up my previous starting lean and my lean in march 2022 for a comparison for July 30 2022

178 lean in march - i was thinking 175 or 177

Attachments

• dunk test.png
    dunk test.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 12
So I said I would put up my previous starting lean and my lean in march 2022 for a comparison for July 30 2022

178 lean in march - i was thinking 175 or 177
Good job! You are moving in the right direction.

Did hydrostatic today

I am going with dexascan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
knarf447