over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Insulin and fat storage

Iasssone

Newbies
So as we all know (I assume), insulin is the hormone released when blood glucose levels are high (a range for the body to work optimally is between 70mg/100ml and 110mg/100ml). Insulin will store glucose in muscles (as muscle glycogen), in the liver (as liver glycogen) and in fat cells (as fat). I'm not sure of who has the priority between muscles and liver, but I know that fat cells are the last option. It is advised in the fitness and bodybuilding industry, to consume foods that aren't going to cause a large insulin release as that will result in fat storage if the liver and the muscles are saturated in glycogen. Though, it would make sense that even if you consume foods that are gonna cause a slower insulin release in the blood stream, glucose is gonna get stored as fat if the muscles and the liver are saturated.

Therefore do insulin levels play a role in fat storage?

Bleed

Kilo Klub Member
Yes.

So as we all know (I assume), insulin is the hormone released when blood glucose levels are high (a range for the body to work optimally is between 70mg/100ml and 110mg/100ml). Insulin will store glucose in muscles (as muscle glycogen), in the liver (as liver glycogen) and in fat cells (as fat). I'm not sure of who has the priority between muscles and liver, but I know that fat cells are the last option. It is advised in the fitness and bodybuilding industry, to consume foods that aren't going to cause a large insulin release as that will result in fat storage if the liver and the muscles are saturated in glycogen. Though, it would make sense that even if you consume foods that are gonna cause a slower insulin release in the blood stream, glucose is gonna get stored as fat if the muscles and the liver are saturated.

KillerStack

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Insulin also stops lipolysis. Carbs don't easily turn to fat. What happens first (before de novo lipogenesis) is less lipolysis and more fat stored as fat.

Don't worry about insulin levels. If you are getting fat, eat less.

Iasssone

Newbies
Insulin also stops lipolysis. Carbs don't easily turn to fat. What happens first (before de novo lipogenesis) is less lipolysis and more fat stored as fat.

Don't worry about insulin levels. If you are getting fat, eat less.

I know lol, it's just to know how to manipulate carb consumption properly.

Bleed

Kilo Klub Member
Are you obese? What do your insulin resistance and sensitivity say?

It depends on "who" you are.

So if I am carb depleted and eat 4 slices of white bread with jam, will that be mostly stored as muscle glycogen or as fat?

Iasssone

Newbies
Are you obese? What do your insulin resistance and sensitivity say?

It depends on "who" you are.

Let's say we're talking about a person with 12% bf, with normal insulin resistance and sensitivity.

bad rad

Registered
I'd read Body Opus if you can find a copy. Carbs, other than fructose, fill the muscles, then liver, then fat cells after conversion to fat. I'm sure there's a ton of updated research but that diet plan works great for me. My version is steak and eggs twice daily on a 16/8 fast. I follow the carb-up from Friday night through Sunday morning.

Cito33189

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I feel like I have a good understanding of things but insulin is not one of them. My head just doesn’t grasp the concept of it. I wish a light bulb would go off in my head so I understood it. Then I would use it.

KillerStack

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know lol, it's just to know how to manipulate carb consumption properly.
So if I am carb depleted and eat 4 slices of white bread with jam, will that be mostly stored as muscle glycogen or as fat?

You probably don't know, but that's alright, lots of people are confused about insulin.
I don't claim to know much or everything either but it seems, to me, that it doesn't matter much how a macronutrient is metabolized or stored moment to moment during the day. The "insulin model" of obesity doesn't seem to hold much weight according to all current research. Meaning insulin doesn't make you fat in isolation, you need to eat in excess to get fat.

It doesn't matter if thst bread get stored as fat or glycogen, you won't get fat if you are in a deficit. Conversely, in excess that bread might be stored as glycogen but you could still get fat as you are not releasing as much stored fat.

TRENUP80

Registered
Newbies

yes it does however it also depends on body type, type of food you eat , your BMI , your insulin sensitivity

StevenGFH

Registered
Do not worry about that....if you are getting fat...it isn't insulins fault. You are eating too much.

I am type 1 diabetic...I use insulin to stay alive. I have to be VERY controlled to get in shape for the stage. The insulin I use has a greater propensity to cause fat issues...not as much with human insulin. UNLESS you are suffering from insulin resistance issues.

Iasssone

Newbies
You probably don't know, but that's alright, lots of people are confused about insulin.
I don't claim to know much or everything either but it seems, to me, that it doesn't matter much how a macronutrient is metabolized or stored moment to moment during the day. The "insulin model" of obesity doesn't seem to hold much weight according to all current research. Meaning insulin doesn't make you fat in isolation, you need to eat in excess to get fat.

It doesn't matter if thst bread get stored as fat or glycogen, you won't get fat if you are in a deficit. Conversely, in excess that bread might be stored as glycogen but you could still get fat as you are not releasing as much stored fat.

I mean, if you eat 1g of protein per pound of BW and all the rest of your calories (let's say at maintenance) are from fast acting carbs, 1) you will get fat because your glycogen storages will quickly get saturated and so carbs will be stored as fats, and 2) you will damage your muscles' insulin sensors which will make your insulin sensitivity worse, which will make so that you store carbs as fats more easily 3) your insulin levels will stay chronically elevated which will cause the release of LPL, which will prevent fat being used as fuel. Sp you don't really have to eat in excess to get fat if your diet isn't on point.

If the carbs from that meal get stored as glycogen it probably means that your blood glucose levels are within a normal range, which will make so that your body functions normally uses more fats as fuel through the day, so how can you get fat if it's stored as glycogen?

KillerStack

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I mean, if you eat 1g of protein per pound of BW and all the rest of your calories (let's say at maintenance) are from fast acting carbs, 1) you will get fat because your glycogen storages will quickly get saturated and so carbs will be stored as fats, and 2) you will damage your muscles' insulin sensors which will make your insulin sensitivity worse, which will make so that you store carbs as fats more easily 3) your insulin levels will stay chronically elevated which will cause the release of LPL, which will prevent fat being used as fuel. Sp you don't really have to eat in excess to get fat if your diet isn't on point.

If the carbs from that meal get stored as glycogen it probably means that your blood glucose levels are within a normal range, which will make so that your body functions normally uses more fats as fuel through the day, so how can you get fat if it's stored as glycogen?

If you are at maintenance and eat that much protein you aren't getting fat. If you do it's not maintenance.

You don't get insulin resistant from "fast carbs" per se. What are "fast carbs" anyway? Rice? Fats and protein can contribute as well. You get insulin resistant if you overeat period, and don't exercise. Or use a lot of GH.
You can search for "protein insulin resistance" to see how protein can contribute to IR.

Carbs don't get stored as fats easily in normal circumstances, they have done studies on this. Search for "de novo lipogenesis overfeeding" or similar terms.
However when you eat a lot of carbs you stop lipolysis and any eaten fats get stored so the end result is fat gain.

madg

Registered
Newbies
I'd read Body Opus if you can find a copy. Carbs, other than fructose, fill the muscles, then liver, then fat cells after conversion to fat. I'm sure there's a ton of updated research but that diet plan works great for me. My version is steak and eggs twice daily on a 16/8 fast. I follow the carb-up from Friday night through Sunday morning.

This is tried and true and works great for me too

Long live Vince and Dan !

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Roguepat1