advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Insulin and Lipohypertrophy...a warning to those that don't know. I didn't!

Aikman56

Kilo Klub Member
When dieting down for my recent competition, I noticed an odd thing. A considerable amount of body fat, in a really odd formation, on only one side of my belly button.
Now, I know that we don't always distribute body fat perfectly symmetrically, but this couldn't be explained as normal.
It was as though there was a bulb of fat just sitting there, regardless do the fact that the rest of me was the leanest and hardest that I've ever been.
I tried to think of ANYTHING that could have explained that discrepancy between sides.
The only think I could think that I consistently did to that area was inject my insulin (I do GH IM).

So I Googled "fat accumulation at insulin injection site".

The search returned numerous articles and entries on Lipohypertrophy.

====================================================================================================
"Lipohypertrophy[1] is a medical term that refers to a lump under the skin caused by accumulation of extra fat at the site of many subcutaneous injections of insulin. It may be unsightly, mildly painful, and may change the timing or completeness of insulin action. It is a common, minor, chronic complication of diabetes mellitus.
Typical injection site hypertrophy is several inches or cm across, smoothly rounded, and somewhat firmer than ordinary subcutaneous fat. There may be some scar tissue as well, but the major component is adipose tissue, as insulin exerts a hypertrophic effect on adipose cells. To avoid lipohypertrophy, persons with diabetes mellitus who inject insulin daily for an extended period of time are advised to rotate their injections among several areas (usually upper, outer arms, outer thighs, abdomen below and around the umbilicus, and the upper parts of the buttocks. Rotation charts are often provided as part of diabetes education to help prevent lipohypertrophy.
Lipohypertrophy usually will gradually disappear over months if injections in the area are avoided.
It is a common misconception that the lump is largely scar tissue, as injection site hypertrophy is much rarer and milder with injections of other hormones and medications which lack the specific ability of insulin to stimulate adipose hypertrophy.
In a sense, the "opposite" of injection site lipohypertrophy is injection site lipoatrophy, in which the subcutaneous fat around an injected area "melts away" over a few weeks or months, leaving unsightly, well-demarcated depressions in the skin. The mechanism of this local lipoatrophy is not understood and may involve autoimmunity or local inflammation."
==================================================
==================================================

I had never heard of such a thing, but it makes perfect sense.

Several medical/diabetic/syringe-producer sites also warned of the condition and recommend rotating injection sites.

Personally, I'll be doing my insulin IM from now on. I'll have to learn new timing, as I'm sure it'll hit faster IM than Sub-Q.

This may be useful or useless, I don't know. But I'd have liked to been made aware before I spent so much time injecting the same area just because of convenience!

I'm interested to hear if anyone lease has experience with this particular blunder and how long it really does take to return to some kind of normalcy.

Last edited:
Intersting. I've only ever ran slin Around workout and not large amounts so luckily haven't tan into this issue. Hopefully as its just fat your burn it off eventually. Makes sense though I guess

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Is this where the "slin-gut" or visceral fat gain stems from? I had never in my life heard the term lipo-hypertrophy. Sounds like what happens after a bad night of drinking and ice cream binging lol

That why we rotate sites on our diabetic patients. If you're doing regular subQ injections, try the fat over the triceps and use the whole abdomen (at least 2 inches away from the belly button)

I move my injection sites constantly for everything. I use areas all over my abdomen and upper thighs for insulin. I rarely ever hit the exact same spot twice.

you can use lipostabil for spot reduction, I would think it would work well for something like this.
Thanks, I'll do a search and see if I can find it!

Is this where the "slin-gut" or visceral fat gain stems from? I had never in my life heard the term lipo-hypertrophy. Sounds like what happens after a bad night of drinking and ice cream binging lol

No, this isn't visceral fat. Visceral around the internal organs, under the muscle.
Mine is totally subcutaneous, brought on by absent-minded ignorance!!!

Thanks, I'll do a search and see if I can find it!

No, this isn't visceral fat. Visceral around the internal organs, under the muscle.
Mine is totally subcutaneous, brought on by absent-minded ignorance!!!

Its all good bro...live and learn, now you know.

Im sure it will go away in time just like everything else...

I have little knots on both sides of stomach and upper quads from insulin injections for the last 16 years. I am a type 1 diabetic so over the years doing 3 shots a day caused the knots. I probably could of spread shots more but i only use 4 spots. Both sides of stomach and upper quads

I have little knots on both sides of stomach and upper quads from insulin injections for the last 16 years. I am a type 1 diabetic so over the years doing 3 shots a day caused the knots. I probably could of spread shots more but i only use 4 spots. Both sides of stomach and upper quads

Have you considered (or tried) injecting IM?

Have you considered (or tried) injecting IM?

Honestly i have not thought about it. I guess its just how i have always done it and thats the way my doc told me how to do it. I always thought you had to inject insulin into fat. I am not sure about this though

I'll definitely be going IM next go-round and will post my experience and results.

I got that from using peptides and doing 6 injects a day in the same area. Use sub q in your upper quads- hip area, buttocks, anywhere you have it. The leaner you get it will be harder to find but you can still find it.

I have a problem pining with slins subQ anywhere apart from my hips, it's painless there but everywhere eles fucking kills!

I pin hgh, slin, an MT2 all on my hips and the Mt2 has gave me horrible dark shadows on my skin at the injection site, looks like a stain or something

I have a problem pining with slins subQ anywhere apart from my hips, it's painless there but everywhere eles fucking kills!

I pin hgh, slin, an MT2 all on my hips and the Mt2 has gave me horrible dark shadows on my skin at the injection site, looks like a stain or something

MT2 has given me this "stain" before on my midsection....its like completely different color from your regular palette of colors....thats why I just always pinned the top side of my quads...ventrogluteal shot....its better than having "stains" on your ass or your visible body....

MT2 has given me this "stain" before on my midsection....its like completely different color from your regular palette of colors....thats why I just always pinned the top side of my quads...ventrogluteal shot....its better than having "stains" on your ass or your visible body....

Yeah, horrible arnt they

Gona start shooting it in glute, I was gona shoot it in muscle but wasn't sure if that was ok

Interesting. Never before considered or heard of pinning hips/upper thighs. I'll have to try this and stick to using GH on my abdomen.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131