over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Insulin carbs per iu - what went wrong?

nutsnbolts

Newbies
I am new to using insulin and just experienced my first bout of hypoglycemia, it hit me like a freight train! v scary moment but all settled now following some carbs.

I am using humalog and was over the peak of 1-3 hours

Here is what happened..
NOTE: I haven't increased carbs on insulin because I thought my current intake would be enough, maybe you think otherwise? appreciate any feedback.

Thurs: 5iu
Sat: 6iu
Sun: 7iu
Tues: 8iu (today)

My plan was to increase 1iu each time up to a max of 10iu but based on what happened today I guess I should stick at 8iu? and up my carbs a little? or just move some more carbs to the peri workout?

Here is how I did it

40min pre workout 8iu insulin with 200g carbs + 15g EAA + 15g BCAA + 5g creatine

Intra sipped throughout 100g carbs + 15g EAA + 15g BCAA + 5g creatine

by the time I get to gym train and get home its about 2 hours, at which point I should be coming out of the peak (1-3hr).

I waited 1 hour for my next meal (approx 4 hours post insulin injection), having had the intra workout I thought there was no need for post shake and based on the amount of carbs im taking in I thought it would be ok. However literally at the 1 hour mark post workout dead on BOOM, I was just about to start making my meal when within 2 minutes of feeling a little strange I was dripping with sweat, could barely stand up and was extremely dizzy. I downed some carb powder and after 10 min of trying to focus at a spot on the wall and stay conscious I started to feel normal again and followed up with my next meal..

250g carbs + 90g protein + 10g fat

as you can see my pre intra and post is 550g carbs, my total daily intake is 800g carbs, I try to have as many as possible around the workout pre, intra, post.

Again, I haven't added any carbs because I am using insulin, this is my normal intake, the only thing I changed is adding insulin to my protocol.

I have always been extremely insulin sensitive, at 800g carbs a day I can maintain body fat which is around 10% (lean, visible striations and veins across abs etc), bulking I can push up over 1,000g a day.

What went wrong?

is it really that likely that with 300g carbs and only 8iu of insulin I went hypo?

any comments/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

In my opinion it was a timing issue. You have enough carbs to cover the insulin several times over. I even think the huge bolus of carbs contributed since you are getting tons of endogenous release as well. I would sip on small amounts of carbs say every 15 minutes until the insulin clears, instead of huge intakes and then nothing for an hour or whatever.

thanks for the reply. Would you recommend reducing the amount of pre workout carbs and then introducing something like a post workout shake to sip on until next meal?

something like

100g pre (in one go with insulin, 40 min pre)
100g intra (sip through workout)
100g post (sip post workout until next meal)

Like Killer said, seems to be a timing issue. Spread it out and have a constant "drip" of carbs coming in.

I used to run into an issue where as soon as I would take humalog I'd panic and start drinking my shake.. and after 15 minutes half the shake was gone. Too much too quick.. and humalog didn't even hit a chance to really hit bloodstream.. endogenous insulin was using those carbs.. and the end result was hypoglycemia 45 minutes later.. even tho I "had enough carbs" to cover the slin

@jpkoepse yep that sounds about right! you read so many posts telling you that you will die if you even look at insulin the wrong way that it makes you panic...I am literally taking down carbs as I do the insulin!

guess I should back off the pre carbs, instead of 1 big hit and change the setup to continually supply carbs over the workout period.

with 300g pre/intra how would you do it? just 1 big shake in 1/2 gallon of water that you start sipping on 15-20 min after insulin and finish up by the end of training?

In my opinion it was a timing issue. You have enough carbs to cover the insulin several times over. I even think the huge bolus of carbs contributed since you are getting tons of endogenous release as well. I would sip on small amounts of carbs say every 15 minutes until the insulin clears, instead of huge intakes and then nothing for an hour or whatever.

x10

It's 100% timing. You could have even less carbs and if you sip them during training and then have a post workout meal you will be more than covered. I take well over an hour to drink my intra shake. Even short acting insulin hangs around and it didn't help you consumed a large amount of carbs in a relatively short time creating more insulin release. Drink and eat slowly when using insulin. You should never go 1 hour + without any carbs when using fast acting slin.

thanks for the reply. Would you recommend reducing the amount of pre workout carbs and then introducing something like a post workout shake to sip on until next meal?

something like

100g pre (in one go with insulin, 40 min pre)
100g intra (sip through workout)
100g post (sip post workout until next meal)

That could work. Just don't go an hour or even a half hour with no carbs coming in, that's the main thing IMO.
Experiment a bit to find what works for you. As you found the hypo goes away within minutes when taking in carbs so don't panic. Still, have respect for it and have carbs on hand at all times even if the last 50 times you were fine. Don't get stuck in traffic with no carbs for example :D Even if not deadly, going hypo probably leads to a needless stress response that isn't optimal for recovery and performance.

That could work. Just don't go an hour or even a half hour with no carbs coming in, that's the main thing IMO.
Experiment a bit to find what works for you. As you found the hypo goes away within minutes when taking in carbs so don't panic. Still, have respect for it and have carbs on hand at all times even if the last 50 times you were fine. Don't get stuck in traffic with no carbs for example :D Even if not deadly, going hypo probably leads to a needless stress response that isn't optimal for recovery and performance.

I agree, I used slin a few years ago and went hypo before my brother and I made it to a dinner event, got stuck on the beltway, by time we got where we were going, I was going hypo bad. Very scary.

Always have glucose tabs with you just in case. IME, they kick in a lot faster than food, plus it's easier to control how many carbs you're taking in instead of just pounding down a mountain dew.

I plan to use slin again come the end of August, finish up my vials I have left. Good luck dude.

Personal experience, it about the carb source

I go hypo with too much dex or hbcd. And thats without exogenous slin.
With slin and those carbs? Both hit you. This is just my experience.
I'll never do either carb with slin again unless its less thats mixed with slower carbs.

Last edited:
just have some OJ....and chill

:)

just have some OJ....and chill

:)

I think that's the standard rec for diabetics, OJ and chill :D

I remember reading that the rec was 5 grams of glucose if going a bit hypo, so you don't necessarily need much to pull out.

Personal experience, it about the carb source

I go hypo with too much dex or hbcd. And thats without exogenous slin.
With slin and those carbs? Both hit you. This is just my experience.
I'll never do either carb with slin again unless its less thats mixed with slower carbs.

Very true but the speed you drink those carbs is key too. Those carbs are very fast acting and many guys slam down 50-100g each time but it's optimal do drink them slowly. I am super slin sensitive and never go hypo with dex or hbcd but I literally sip my drink after every set and take well over an hour drinking 40-100g carbs. The obvious fact some people also take too much slin is another factor. Even if they have enough carbs it can cause issues especially if used everyday. I definitely recommend using high dosed aminos and glutamine with slin as it improves results and helps prevent going hypo.

too much slin man... don't really need to do very much at all. The biggest mistake people make with slin is trying to "Feel" it. further more... don't even bother with slin unless you running GH with it or you just gonna get fat.

too much slin man... don't really need to do very much at all. The biggest mistake people make with slin is trying to "Feel" it. further more... don't even bother with slin unless you running GH with it or you just gonna get fat.

You don't hgh with slin. People just overeat with slin and that's why they get fat. Plus guys who shouldn't be using it get fatter as they are not lean enough to begin with but add it in with lot's of carbs so no surprise. Slin should only be used for lean people if fat increase is a concern. Then comes dose and timing which are other factors.

Not sure this is adding up. What is your current size? 800 grams of carbs is a lot assuming they are clean.

Not sure this is adding up. What is your current size? 800 grams of carbs is a lot assuming they are clean.

I didn't comment on this but I thought similar even though 800g carbs to me can easily be done (especially for a natural ectomorph who has always ate high carbs). He is using too many carbs when the slin is active imo. Plus I am an advocate of using higher carbs to get the most out of slin and ultimate muscle fullness etc. Too many try to get away with the least amount possible when they should be thinking about getting the most out of everything. There are guys who can get away with such high carbs and I used to be the same (not so much now :eek:). OP can you post a pic?

People just overeat with slin and that's why they get fat.

Yeah I think so too.

Here's some basic info on insulin that may be interesting. Not necessarily much to do with using exogenous insulin but there's a lot of misconceptions about insulin and carbs etc.
One thing he says, which I've noticed as well as some friends, which is that insulin is a satiety hormone and can actually reduce appetite. Exogenous insulin definitely reduces my appetite.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7xZH0jmxUg"]James Krieger: Carbohydrates & Insulin - YouTube[/ame]

I have had this happen before. Not crazy hypo but enough to get very scared.

Now I have a sugary drink like a capri sun about 20 min before my pre workout meal. Then I scarf down the meal and dothe slin AFTER the meal. I bring an intra workout carb to the gym to drink while I'm there, and then have post workout meal with carbs.

Haven't had an issue.

You are probably very sensitive to insulin. Will effect you differently than it effects others.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws