over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Intensifiers- taking a set beyond failure

5Noles

Registered
Newbies
In 1975 when a began bodybuilding, we used forced reps, super sets, drop sets, etc. Since returning to bodybuilding 2 yrs ago I have observed many creative techniques to extend or intensify a set.
Curious, what are you thoughts the use of intensifiers and what are some of your favorites?

I love them. I always push to failure and beyond if possible with the exercise Im doing on every working set.
My favorite are forced Reps with negatives or DC style rest pause. Not a fan of dropsets because I’m not a fan of using less weight.

Not a fan of dropsets because I’m not a fan of using less weight.

Thank you, I'd far prefer negatives when I can't physically lift the weight in its entirety anymore

For me, my set progression is thus: for exercises that can be safely rest paused, they're rest paused DC style. After the third mini set, whatever you'd like to call it, I wait a few more seconds and bang out a final full rep. From then on, it's forced reps first; I train by myself, so this typically means one limb at a time, giving assistance on each rep as little as possible. It's not hard, complete a rep as far as you possibly can, then give yourself a little 'tap' to get yourself through the entire range. Control your negative. When positives are no longer possible, you're moving into partials, then negatives.

When you literally can't move the weight anymore, you're good to stretch, shake out the lactic acid and go to the next exercise

Thank you, I'd far prefer negatives when I can't physically lift the weight in its entirety anymore

For me, my set progression is thus: for exercises that can be safely rest paused, they're rest paused DC style. After the third mini set, whatever you'd like to call it, I wait a few more seconds and bang out a final full rep. From then on, it's forced reps first; I train by myself, so this typically means one limb at a time, giving assistance on each rep as little as possible. It's not hard, complete a rep as far as you possibly can, then give yourself a little 'tap' to get yourself through the entire range. Control your negative. When positives are no longer possible, you're moving into partials, then negatives.

When you literally can't move the weight anymore, you're good to stretch, shake out the lactic acid and go to the next exercise
I’ve trained solo so long I don’t even know how I’d work with a training partner.

I use rest pause, drop sets, and static holds. Occasionally throw in something else but I use at least two of these every workout
I see a lot of people doing static holds. What is the purpose?

Doing static holds at the very bottom of a squat is brutal. Builds great strength. You can do static holds at the point of the motion where you think you are weakest. It will strengthen that part.

You can do it alone as long as you lower the weight significantly, and make sure you can do at least 8 reps with a hold.

I see a lot of people doing static holds. What is the purpose?
You’re weakest on the concentric portion of a rep, stronger on the eccentric, and strongest doing a static hold. A static hold allows you to keep hitting that muscle when you wouldn’t be able to get another rep

Doing static holds at the very bottom of a squat is brutal. Builds great strength. You can do static holds at the point of the motion where you think you are weakest. It will strengthen that part.

You can do it alone as long as you lower the weight significantly, and make sure you can do at least 8 reps with a hold.

What the mother of fuck, you were doing static holds with squats?! Jfc bro that sounds like something really bad waiting to happen. For me, static holds were for exercises where safety wasn't a huge issue, definitely not squats! I'm no kinesiologist, but it just seems like a really bad idea lol. I wouldn't really do them with too many multijoint exercises, but I admit to being almost a complete pussy

Whatever my max is on the main lift I amrap my 55% of that…usually get about 50-60 reps..takes several minutes

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131