over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Intermittent fasting

Cool.

Guess I am much like you daily.

I eat dinner at about 5pm and don’t eat again ‘till breakfast (if you can call it that) usually around 10 - 11am the next day. And I can train most people into the ground 🙂 when I get to the gym at 7am.

Today was an exception. Just got home from dinner at a vegan restaurant (my wife is vegan) and now I am eating a slice of chocolate cream pie while I type this. Life is good.
I eat 8 meals a day. Very small. < 500kcals. I'm pretty much always hungry except after my post-workout feasts. After CKD for this many years, how to I incorporate a fast. Do you take EAAs and water only? How would that even work? 2 days? 5?

Not trying to hijack, OP, but let us know how you work that in. Right now I fast 1 day per month for non-athletic reasons.

I have notice that IF is brilliant if you have more carbs in a diet. If your first meal is after 16 hours of fasting plus training it is almost impossible to get fat. This would be my way to go. 100 carbs postworkout later some lean meats and veggies to hit another carb meal and just before bed some proteins and fats. 100 carbs in two meals two meals protein fats only. Really great way to grow without getting fat at all.

I eat 8 meals a day. Very small. < 500kcals. I'm pretty much always hungry except after my post-workout feasts. After CKD for this many years, how to I incorporate a fast. Do you take EAAs and water only? How would that even work? 2 days? 5?

Not trying to hijack, OP, but let us know how you work that in. Right now I fast 1 day per month for non-athletic reasons.
Sure.

Good to always be hungry. But most people have no clue what real hunger is.
That is when your body is primed for the nutrients. My opinion. (With this crowd,
forced eating is a topic I would not touch with a ten foot pole, you don't
hand people clubs to beat you with.)

Fasting. I try and do a 2 day fast about every month. It usually starts with me not
being really hungry around dinner time when I might pass on dinner and start a
2 day fast. But no hard and fast schedule or rules here.

For you and your 8 meal a day (you must be a furnace) you might just want to
pick a day or two every month and just don't eat. It's not that hard. You
won't die and your physique will not suffer.

Extended fasting occurs about every 3 months. I coordinate it with my blood
donation. (I also take a 1 week break from training following my donation.)
I will have good dinner after my donation then start a fast the next day. 4 - 5 days.
Very easy and doable. Again, you won't die and your physique will not suffer.

Many people are afraid of losing muscle and rightly so, but personally I don't
see this as an issue. Any muscle you lose during a fast can easily be regained
in your first week back in the gym. If not, you are doing something wrong.

During the fasting, like I said, I do not lift weights. I walk every day, stretch and
meditate. Takes about 2 hours, about the same amount of time I allocate for my
body 6 days a week.

Water only. No supps. Not even vitamins. I usually drink only when thirsty
which totals about 3 liters per day and is my goal. I will set this out ahead of
time and it will be consumed throughout the day. Of course exercise
and environmental factors must be factored in (think heat).

And personally I would put on hold all AAS, GH, and insulin. I do TRT once
every 7 days so this is not an issue for me.

I see this much the same as meditation, it is giving my brain a vacation. Same
with a fast, I am giving my body a vacation.

This what I do. Your mileage may vary.

Probably too many words but it is something I can do ;)

Sure.

That is when your body is primed for the nutrients. My opinion. (With this crowd,

Fasting. I try and do a 2 day fast about every month. It usually starts with me not

I will have good dinner after my donation then start a fast the next day. 4 - 5 days.

During the fasting, like I said, I do not lift weights. I walk every day, stretch and
body 6 days a week.

which totals about 3 liters per day and is my goal. I will set this out ahead of

I'm going to try a couple days. It will certainly be a break from the planning. 😁

Damn 2 days is long but I know it has been nice leaving for work in the morning and not worrying about food.
I’m Looking full and veiny as hell right now from the IF. I’ve been pretty slack with the food choices post workout even throwing in a little dessert but I’m kinda chilling and going to Florida til mid week in vacation mode lol. I’ll tighten it back up when I get back if needed. I’ve been trying to keep the feeding window under 5 hours

Sure.

body 6 days a week.

i do 36 ish hours a few times a year, going to and past 48 i find harder or sometimes ive added juice or broth in there. i forget the longest ive gone.

i think most here are to scared of dropping a few lbs to persue it but i think for health, mental and physical some fast liek this is really a good thing.

props on 4-5days!

i do 36 ish hours a few times a year, going to and past 48 i find harder or sometimes ive added juice or broth in there. i forget the longest ive gone.

i think most here are to scared of dropping a few lbs to persue it but i think for health, mental and physical some fast liek this is really a good thing.

props on 4-5days!
I agree. It’s crazy about losing something that is so easily found.

4 - 5 days is really easy. The hardest part is getting started. Then it gets easier, almost effortless. The things you imagined would be there, aren’t.

Plus it is a very good mental exercise. It’s like when people ask me why I quit drinking, I tell them to see if I could.

Sure.

body 6 days a week.

How do you feel when not eating anything for 2 days? I work a physically demanding job. It’s summer basically here and the heat/humidity in south LA is miserable. The days I’ve skipped breakfast and was too tied up at work to eat lunch I’d be feeling hypoglycemic. Just weak, cold sweats, slightly nauseous, etc. I’d be forced to climb in my work truck pump up the AC and sip on a Gatorade to nix the hypo feeling. Once that declines I’m immediately heading for food.

So that’s basically 20hrs of no fuel. If I had a seditary job working in the AC it’d be much different, but that’s not the case for me.

Cage

How do you feel when not eating anything for 2 days? I work a physically demanding job. It’s summer basically here and the heat/humidity in south LA is miserable. The days I’ve skipped breakfast and was too tied up at work to eat lunch I’d be feeling hypoglycemic. Just weak, cold sweats, slightly nauseous, etc. I’d be forced to climb in my work truck pump up the AC and sip on a Gatorade to nix the hypo feeling. Once that declines I’m immediately heading for food.

So that’s basically 20hrs of no fuel. If I had a seditary job working in the AC it’d be much different, but that’s not the case for me.

Cage

Your not metabolically flexible bud. That’s why. Hour 12-14 is tough. Then hour 16-17 it’s like a switch flips and you feel fucking terrific.

Hours 17-21
Are a breeze

Cage
I agree.

I would never fast if I had a job and circumstances like you do. No way.

See, I don’t have to work so I can plan my fasts to suit me.

And I feel fine, really good actually. Of course I don’t workout or do anything physically demanding.

You will adapt. It sucks in transition, I mountain biked in 90° fasted yesterday with just water and electrolytes.

You will adapt. It sucks in transition, I mountain biked in 90° fasted yesterday with just water and electrolytes.
How many days had you been fasting?

How many days had you been fasting?

About 40hour when I started. 48 when done. We were out all day. I do keto 16/8 4× a week and 23/1 3× a week. I'm pretty fat adapted so it's a lot easier as long as I keep the electrolysis in.

About 40hour when I started. 48 when done. We were out all day. I do keto 16/8 4× a week and 23/1 3× a week. I'm pretty fat adapted so it's a lot easier as long as I keep the electrolysis in.
Fat adapted is great. Without that there is something called ‘the wall.’

Cycling world they call it bonking. Every one I rode with was eating PBJ sandwiches all day.
Yes, bonking. I have had it twice on my street bike rides. My wife an I used to bike all the time (many many centuries under our belts) so I get it. It is a terrible hole to get out of. Rest and carbs for me then back on the bike 😩. But once you learn how to manage this you are golden.

Alan Aragon just posted a link to a huge study on ig which essentially said if has no benefits ( health or fat loss) over regular feeding intervals.

Not surprised by this but I still use it

1. To control appetite
2. No desire to weigh food at night, take Tupperware to work each day and force myself to eat every so often

I think there's enough evidence now to show that for gen-pop IF/fasting has no physiological benifits over any other diet scheme so long as calories are equated. That's not to say there's not psychological/adherence benifits for some (as stated by others in this thread - many find it more manageable to be hungry for 16 hours and satiated for 8 than to eat like a bird and never quite be satisfied).

That being said for strength athletes and body builders, particularly during the off season I think programmed fasts have health benefits - constantly pushing the food causes inflammation of the digestive system, raises in blood glucose and systemic stress that can be "reset" with a well programmed 48 hour fast.

I think it's been generally accepted that to even have a shot at the purported benefits such as cancer prevention etc. you need much longer fasts...certainly over 16 hours and likely multiple days (and even then the science is murky). That said, I still do it and have for about 5 years. Here are the benefits I've noticed. Some subjective in nature, of course:

1. Mental Clarity. This is the main thing I love. My job is super stressful and intense and the clarity and drive I noticed is really quite unreal. Not sure if everyone gets it to the degree I do but this initially was the think I was most skeptical about.

2. Calories and food being equal, my c-reactive protein dropped substantially and my LDL and a1c also both decreased. I don't know why, but food being equal (in type and volume) all those metrics raise when I go back to eating every 3-4 hours. Note that all those markers were in the normal range they just got better. I say that so nobody thinks I had an LDL of 170 that went to 100. More like 115 that went to 100.

3. No difference in weight loss when calories are equal. Duh...but feel like it needs said. Nothing magic with IF in that regard. Again...just feel like it needs said.

4. No difference I've noticed in building muscle calories and drugs being equal. If you are like Luki could that change things? Probably for a variety of a reasons but for a recreational bodybuilder type I don't notice anything.

5. Digestion has radically improved. No heartburn, no stomach aches, my IBS also is completely gone. Calories and food being equal all these problems trickle back in when I add meals.

It's not a miracle but it's been enough for me that I'll probably stick to it. I do a 18-6 fasting schedule for the record. I don't eat from 7:30pm to about 2:00pm the next day.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws