over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Interview with Lee Haney

pretty cool i guess..even tho its from 2011 lol

Q&A: What do you think about Mentzer’s heavy duty training system? It’s gotten a lot of publicity through the years.

Lee: You tear yourself up with that. You tear joints up, you tear up tendons.

It’s what got Dorian Yates in trouble. Always train to stimulate and not annihilate.

Q&A: Did you ever suffered any serious injuries yourself?

Lee: Nope… not one. I finished my career injury free. I have no joint problems, no knee, no hip, no back, none of that.

I find that amazing...

Q&A: What do you think about Mentzer’s heavy duty training system? It’s gotten a lot of publicity through the years.

Lee: You tear yourself up with that. You tear joints up, you tear up tendons.

It’s what got Dorian Yates in trouble. Always train to stimulate and not annihilate.

Q&A: Did you ever suffered any serious injuries yourself?

Lee: Nope… not one. I finished my career injury free. I have no joint problems, no knee, no hip, no back, none of that.

I find that amazing...

How one's joints and body weathers the storm of the lifestyle has a lot more to do with genetics than training style, in my humble opinion.

You don't think years of extremely heavy lifting causes long term damage? Like seeing people bench 400-500lbs, deadlift 600lbs and squat 5 plates in drop sets.

How one's joints and body weathers the storm of the lifestyle has a lot more to do with genetics than training style, in my humble opinion.

Respectfully I have to disagree. I feel it's the exact opposite. To me, it has more to do with training style (cumulative trauma) with genetics playing a secondary role.

Respectfully I have to disagree. I feel it's the exact opposite. To me, it has more to do with training style (cumulative trauma) with genetics playing a secondary role.

Well, let's not be silly here. If you train like Dorian, you're going to break down earlier than training smart. Obviously training style is a huge factor and I agree. I guess my point, more accurately stated, is that if you take two people and they train essentially the same, sometimes one person just gets more injuries. I chalk this up to genetics. Without sounding racial, it seems black training partners I've had seemed particularly robust and more hardy when it came to minor injuries and nagging pains. Some people just aren't cut out for the sport.

Well, let's not be silly here. If you train like Dorian, you're going to break down earlier than training smart. Obviously training style is a huge factor and I agree. I guess my point, more accurately stated, is that if you take two people and they train essentially the same, sometimes one person just gets more injuries. I chalk this up to genetics. Without sounding racial, it seems black training partners I've had seemed particularly robust and more hardy when it came to minor injuries and nagging pains. Some people just aren't cut out for the sport.

That makes so much more sense haha and I totally agree. With your original statement I thought you were insane

Lee Haney

One of the favourites of all time.

Ronnie Coleman said in one of his interviews that if he and Lee would have the same tools, Lee would have been kicked his ass onstage

Pretty much a legend, Id love reading about his training when I was a kid.

I do believe people can have genetic which are either positive or negative in different aspects of bodybuilding.

1. Size and strength (physique symmetry also)
2. Ability to process food, supps, drugs.
3. Structural longevity.
just to name a few....

Just because you have one doesnt mean you will have another.
For instance, a huge monster (mesomorph) can have injury issues.
Another huge guy may not.
An endomorph can have strong structural characterists.

I was a small person who tended to retain bodyfat. I worked for every ounce of muscle and strength when with others it came easily. But I train heavy as possible 52wks a year with loose form. At 54yo, Ive never had shoulder, lowback, knee issues. I had some tricep problems in my early 40s. Of all the things I could have wished for, this is what Im grateful to have. At my age, I just keep going. guys 20yrs younger (example - a 34yo ex-professional football player for 5yrs who was my training partner for 4-5yrs) who is freakishly strong, but has many injury issues... while every workout, I lift heavy (5reps on my heavy compound sets) with little problem, and I am grateful to be able to just keep it up. Hope it stays that way...lol...if I need to adapt I will. For example, on Chest and Shoulder presses and squats, I have made some changes-I now use the smith machine. But heavy as possible! And my form on some heavy sets is not pretty.

Ive met Lee Haney. He is the most humble, kind, and friendly guy youd ever want to meet. This guy would be a #1 bodybuilding role model for the public.
He is genuinly pleased that you take the time to talk to him, instead of the other way around as with most persons of fame. A true great person!

One of the true genetic freaks

It's interesting...In Lee Haney's era, be it bodybuilding, football, baseball, etc. if you were 30 or over, you were in your twilight! Lee Haney won 8 Mr. Olympias and retired at 32!! Ronnie was in his early to mid forties!! So, the question is how long could Haney have continued? Remember, had he not retired he and Dorian would have battled for the title!! I think Lee would have beaten Dorian that year...As for the others, I'd have to go back and look at Dorian's progress year after year...Then you'd have to imagine what Haney would have looked like if decided to add another 20lbs!!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear