YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

intramuscular stimulation (IMS) aka trigger point dry needling? Anybody try it?

Anubis

Registered
I've had chronic hamstring issues for years and got passed around doc to doc and finally landed in a top sports med doctor who said he saw my type of situation all the time. Finally after years of docs saying we have no idea... basically the gist of it was he thought my back was likely pinching nerves in various spots causing the hammies to take the brunt of the pain. He said the only thing that'll make a difference is IMS or dry needling. I'm going for my first treatment next week. The doc said he recommends this to all his high end athletes and pro clients just for maintenance as well as when medically necessary, just found it strange I'd never heard of it. I've done accupuncture which is supposedly the hippy dippy version of it and got nothing out of that but I have done tons of physio (art, graston etc) /massage/chiros you name it, ive done it and nobody has mentioned this to me and I haven't found one person offline thats had it... so Im just curious to hear if anybody has had this done on them, what did you have worked on, did it make a significant difference, how was the process that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
I have had it done while I was in PT working my way back from a shoulder injury (slip and fall down some stairs). Definitely felt sore the next day, almost like you spent some time in the gym only working on that specific muscle. 2 days after it started feeling better, 3-4 days after my delt felt great. Definitely not an expert but I don't think your wasting your time trying it out. Let us know how it goes, good luck.

I work with doctors who do this all day long. It works. Its like weightlifting. The needle helps to stimulate healing in a couple different ways. I say try it and it could take a few sessions. And like other say it can make you sore but you tecover from it.

A lot of the times they use lidocaine but the needle itself is theraputic.

awesome thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate it.

im not to worry about the pins, god knows Ive pinned enough not to be phased by that but my hamstrings are super tight and I read online that the reaction is kind of a cramp type feeling or seizure of the muscle towards the needle. The thought of my hamstring cramping again horrifies me, that was a pain I could live without lol How was the pain during? did it mimic a cramp?

I'll definitely be going thru with it tho.

pseudoscience, don't do it:naughty::star-:ars

i had it done in several spots this year , all in the last 3 months with some really great results

right and left brachialis muscle hurt terrible, some tendonitis os something, two treatments on the left and three on the right and i actually had significant pain reduction, crazy real lack of pain. also had both hips done but i cant say its full effectiveness until i stop injecting in there so much, so in a week i will start to discover if I gained flexibility, it definitely breaks up some scar tissue, i pay 30$ a treatment. so try it if you got the cash

i had it done in several spots this year , all in the last 3 months with some really great results

right and left brachialis muscle hurt terrible, some tendonitis os something, two treatments on the left and three on the right and i actually had significant pain reduction, crazy real lack of pain. also had both hips done but i cant say its full effectiveness until i stop injecting in there so much, so in a week i will start to discover if I gained flexibility, it definitely breaks up some scar tissue, i pay 30$ a treatment. so try it if you got the cash

excellent, my insurance covers it up until the first dozen visits but the cost isn't an issue for me I just want some relief from this hamstring hell. I'm inflexible at the best of times so it'll be interesting to see if there will be benefit in other spots of my body as well.

I've had great success with dry needling.

I had issues activating my rhomboids recently and thru dry needling I have been able to achieve a better mind muscle connection. Turns out I have structural issues so also needed chiro work to reach optimal performance.

In the past I have had work done on my delts and forearms which almost immediately relived pain. My physio is a good friend so some days I would tweak something in my delt at the gym and when I would see him in the evening he would have me fixed for the next day.

I've never done it...my PT does Graston, ART, myofacial release...but not needling.

My girlfriend, however, swears by it.

I did it when i was trying to compete in crossfit competitions. Great doc that did it for me but i ABSOLUTELY HATED IT. There is no warning when they hit the spot and it feel like you are being electrocuted. I did it twice and just couldnt take it. Not sure if i saw any actual results or not.

I did it when i was trying to compete in crossfit competitions. Great doc that did it for me but i ABSOLUTELY HATED IT. There is no warning when they hit the spot and it feel like you are being electrocuted. I did it twice and just couldnt take it. Not sure if i saw any actual results or not.

damn that sounds brutal. were you doing it for some specific injury or just part of overall maintenance/recovery?

Trying to get more shoulder mobility. I have a surgically repaired shoulder and was trying to get more ROM along with general recovery.

Its great and definitely works.

Stimulating the nervous system = pseudoscience? :rolleyes:

Excellent for legs especially. Very effective in removing the trigger points, ongoing pain and tightness

I've had positive results

I am a prior Marine who sustained injuries in Iraq. Over a decade passed with every doctor saying this or that never supplying much results at all for alleviating my back pain which many times radiates down my glute and down my leg. I have a Physical Therapist who recently earned certification. It has been the most helpful therapy I have undertaken. The spasms and constant tension gets so severe massage and such has no effect but the treatment you are refering to has made it so that milder meds and massage therapies supply much greater results.
There is some Cramping(or similar feeling) but the end result is a much for relaxed muscle and hopefully a nerve no longer agitated.

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner