YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

iPhone 4 contacts erased. Now it's locked.

triathloncoach

Featured Member / Kilo Klub / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Board Supporter
My 12 year old daughter erased her iCloud back up on her contacts. She was able to get back her contacts thru the letter G. We tried to get the rest of the contacts and received a message

Unknow error (21???) and the iPhone cant be synced with the computer. There is an icon on the screen of the phone that shows a USB cord with an arrow pointed at the iTunes icon. And the phone is frozen. I can turn it on and off, but the above described screen doesn't change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by this technical dunderheaded father.

Last edited:
If she is using iCloud, don't use iTunes for the contacts, as they are stored in the Cloud via iCloud! Do the following:

Go to Settings>iCloud, toggle "Contacts" off, select "Keep on My iPhone" and then re-enable Contacts, and then hit "Merge". They will download automatically from iCloud.

You can also first go to www.icloud.com and sign in with her Apple ID, and click on Contacts to make sure they are all there.

As for it telling you to connect to iTunes, first update iTunes to the latest version, then plug the phone into the computer and have iTunes open. It'll inform you what needs to be done there. Her iCloud backup should be still good to go.

Last edited:
Wait, your 12 year old has an iPhone? What is the world coming to?@!

Thanks Bamma Bubba. I cut and pasted your instructions and emailed them to her.

And Trenbah, she also has a net book and my 9 year old son has an iTouch and he wants an iPhone 4s.

Honestly, it's bullshit.

But so is all the time and energy I put into this site. Thank goodness there is also ashleymadison.com for a change of pace for an additional source of illicit living.

And thanks for the PM Orazco! While this site doesn't provide the same level of service as AM, it's a great community.

Last edited:
Thanks Bamma Bubba. I cut and pasted your instructions and emailed them to her.

And Trenbah, she also has a net book and my 9 year old son has an iTouch and he wants an iPhone 4s.

Honestly, it's bullshit.

But so is all the time and energy I put into this site. Thank goodness there is also ashleymadison.com for a change of pace for an additional source of illicit living.

And thanks for the PM Orazco! While this site doesn't provide the same level of service as AM, it's a great community.

I am a long way away from having kids so idk what kids are doing these days. Is that normal?

Hey bro take out the back cover and dsconnect the battery and reconnect if that doesnt work then it may be a motherboard problem

Just get a new phone period!~ Your contacts should in in your email one last option is to visit and speak to the "genious" bar and see who they could assist you

No need to buy a new phone. It's not bricked. If it requires a full initial phase restore via iTunes, which is simple, the iCloud backup will be there to restore from backup, and she won't lose much of anything.

LOL! You've never owned an Apple mobile device, huh? They don't have removable batteries.

LMAO you never taken one apart! I work in the cellphone repair biz! you need a pentalobe screwdriver and take out the 2 bottom screws and take out the back!

Last edited:
Like I said before, take apart the back piece and disconnect the battery your going to need a pentalobe screwdriver and a philipps disconnect it. If it does not work it may be a software issue or may be the motherboard

Last edited:
LMAO you never taken one apart! I work in the cellphone repair biz! you need a pentalobe screwdriver and take out the 2 bottom screws and take out the back!

Haha! Makes sense what you were suggesting now. ;-)

My guess is he viewed it as I did when you didn't initially explain what you meant by actually removing the internal battery. Doing a power cycle, that I suggested, would give the same result, and be a lot easier. FWIW, I have disassembled every model of iPhone made, and both the iPad 1 & 2. And not all iPhone 4 models used pentalobe screws.

Last edited:
As for DFU, iTunes won't suggest it needs to recover in this mode, naturally. However, I don't really see the point of using DFU mode, unless she's trying to downgrade, or jailbreak.

If the power cycle doesn't kick it out, Dean's idea of using recboot is wise (the maker of TinyUmbrella also makes a simple "Fix Recovery" prog). But if neither situations work, her iOS is most likely corrupted, and it simply needs to be restored. After restoring the iOS, a restore from her iCloud backup, which is presented during the initial setup, is extremely simple to do.

The syncing issue she's having could also be from using an outdated version of iTunes.

Try my suggestion of RecBoot first, if failed do a DFU restore. If still failing it's motherboard is likely faulty.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131