over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Irritating Knee Pain

hawkmoon

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have had knee issues, particularly my left since I was 20 and used to squat a bit too heavy and a bit too deep.
This pain would come and go depending on how much and how frequently I would squat.

A year and a half or so ago I ran BPC-157 and TB-500 and most of the knee pain subsided. Even the annoying clicking went away.
With my partial umbilical hernia I backed off squats and heavy rack pulls since late last year.

As such, I don't have much pain in the gym; when I squat it is smith only and relatively lightweight.
Consequently, no knee pain of significance in the gym.

However I continue to hurt my knee by simply walking.
I find that sometimes on a decline or if I trip up my left leg just a tiny bit, if feels as if my patella tendon overstretches, resulting in pain and instant inflammation.
This happened yesterday just walking and still hurts considerably.

Has anyone had similar experience?
My concern is this degenerative and something I have to live with as I am taking it easy yet still have trouble.

Any anecdotes or otherwise would be of interest.

You need some imaging to get to the bottom of it truly

You (and pretty much majority of this board) probably have some chondromalacia from the years of heavy training; when I got my knee MRI it showed that, the MRI was for multiple torn ligaments so different issue. The ortho didn't think much of it after he looked at me and got my history; pretty common in lifters and athletes.

I used to get knee pain under my patellas when I was logbooking squats, leg press, smith front squats and going up in weight progressively. When I backed off, it subsided eventually.

You've been training heavy for a lot longer (and heavier); I'd wager there's some overuse going on there. I'd add some mobility work if you can as well; The size and repetitive movements done as a part of bodybuilding create some interesting imbalances long term.

Just my 2 cents

Hey🙋‍♀️,,, I'm guessing alot of bodybuilders have aches and pains, but the knee is a real ball ache!! 😒 I sympathise with your constant pain... And you should definitely press the doctors to scan it if it causes to much pain,,,
Apparently my knee isnt in the 'ideal placement!' So over time it takes a toll on your ligaments and tendons.. An the pain can turn your stomach...
My knee buckles going down stairs sometimes,,, feels like its slightly pulling to the left,, And constantly tight,,, burns,, even when sitting,,, feels like a pin stabs me in certain positions,, kneeling 100%..

I wear a support for squatting,, and try an do alot of bodyweight to light single leg exercises ( deadlifts, split squats, lunges) try and strengthen muscle round it,, and stretches/yoga/foam roll...(especially to warm up)
I Take fish oil,, omega 3,6,9 and cod liver oil,, an keep hydrated,,,

I am under the hospital and waiting for an appointment,, I went to the docs with it a few years back and they referred me to physio.. I'm sure they give the exact same routine whether you 20 or 90!! 😂 not impressed,,,

Thanks guys. I figured I have chondromalacia from my early twenties, just odd to have to seem to be OK for quite a while and now come back in the this odd form.

Do you guys get the feeling of a rubber band exceeding its limit when you pull your knee? That's how it feels when I get his. My knee buckles forward and I feel that tendon seeming to want to give way in the middle, at the knee cap.

Thanks guys. I figured I have chondromalacia from my early twenties, just odd to have to seem to be OK for quite a while and now come back in the this odd form.

Do you guys get the feeling of a rubber band exceeding its limit when you pull your knee? That's how it feels when I get his. My knee buckles forward and I feel that tendon seeming to want to give way in the middle, at the knee cap.
It's a weird feeling but yes, behind and the inner of my knee has the rubber band tightness,,,,
When I'm stretching, sometimes I cant even get it straight!! Mine is more the inner knee, but I think cause it affects balance,, it has a knock on effect to bigger muscles around it.. my IT band on the right always feel tighter.. I have a massage thing that look like a rolling pin,,, and everytime I train lower body.. I do cupping to help muscle recovery and blood flow,,, and get the rolling pin out 😂 it bloody hurts but it helps alot with recovery ...
I also recently bought myself some electric muscle stimulates,,,and I'm liking them,,, as you are not putting weight load on the muscle... just contracting it.. and you can increase /decrease the intensity... 🙂

ive had something similar a few times, always freaks me out I fear a torn meniscus or re-aggrivation of a quad tendon surgery. rest never works it kind of stays but eventually I just forget about it and it goes away along with the clicking. has actually happened in both knees in the past year.

I have a lot of tendon issues from years of training. Stuff that's been nagging for years. A few months ago I started working on mobility through a website called romwod.com. Its like yoga meets stretching. You basically get in these deep stretches and hold them for up to 5 minutes. Some of them are incredibly painful and challenging. Supposedly it helps stretch the fascia and strengthen the tendons and joints. Ive noticed an incredible difference.

My patella tendon has bothered me for such a long time but ive been working on the different saddle variations. (basically where your shins are on the ground and you sit your but back onto the back of your calves). This type of stretch would probably help you a lot. You may need to use some props at first to make sure you don't go to deep and irritate it more thorough.

These types of long stretches are incredibly effective though. I do their 25 minute routines daily and usually add another 20 minutes of my own stuff. There's also a lot of breathing work involved. Its pretty cool.

The asian cultures are actually known for their insane ankle mobility which gives them super strong knees. Nothing ever worked my IT bands until I started to regularly sit on my knees/ankles for several minutes a day.

I have the crunching/clicking sound in my knees as well. All the running I did in the military pluus what I have to do now for my job on top of my bodybuilding has my knees always uncomfortable or achey.

I've been considering flying to Thailand to get PRP injections in my knees to see if that will help.

I get pain now in my left knee just from walking too much. Doing an hour mowing the yard messes it up so that I can't do treadmill for several days. I had to cut my treadmill time in 1/2, 15 minutes down from 30. Now finally its getting better. Squats don't bother mine much.

Have you recently increased cardio? Could be overuse.. I recommend alternating between bicycle and treadmill. When i was at the gym it really helped. Im doing home workouts now and don't have a stationary bike. Cycling shouldn't hurt your knee at all.

Mine hurts inside the knee, kinda on the outside edge of the bottom of my femur. If I step the wrong way it hurts bad. Walking around, if i change direction suddenly it can twist the knee and that feels like shit. When its acting up I make sure to only make turns at right angles, lol! It works.

I have moderate arthritis in my knees. Mostly they hurt if I sit with them bent for any length of time. But when they get aching more I find a new pair of shoes that are not worn down where it be the sole or the heal cup itself can help a lot. As my condition gets worse I find I end up changing my walking stride without trying to, just the body adjusting to the conditions. And that changes the wear pattern and how things hurt.

I have moderate arthritis in my knees. Mostly they hurt if I sit with them bent for any length of time. But when they get aching more I find a new pair of shoes that are not worn down where it be the sole or the heal cup itself can help a lot. As my condition gets worse I find I end up changing my walking stride without trying to, just the body adjusting to the conditions. And that changes the wear pattern and how things hurt.
Yeah, you can learn a lot just looking at the sole of your shoes. Looking at the wear pattern. Ive had the same experience as you.

Sounds like a knee tracking issue which is the most common knee problem, extremely common in bodybuilders who put a lot of stress on the quads without ideal glute activation. Basically your outer quad is pulling too hard. Oddly enough, the fix may be to strengthen the glutes, especially the gluteus medium. This issue has a lot of different possible symptoms and often the fix isn't that intuitive.

It took me 30 years of nerdy bodybuilding to learn this: Physical Therapists are full doctors and working with a good one is absolutely essential for long term weight lifting success. A good therapist will use science and study proven methods to diagnose and treat you. Issues that have been developing over many years (or decades in my case) can take a lot of work to correct.

You may already know all this but it's good to state for everyone's sake. Unfortunately, PTs are expensive, but insurance companies are often happy to pay for PT because they know it saves them money.

Yeah, you can learn a lot just looking at the sole of your shoes. Looking at the wear pattern. Ive had the same experience as you.
When I started mountain climbing with a buddy of mine that climbed some of the tallest mountains in the world. He showed my how important the heel cup is, in stabilizing the heel which is where much of the problems come from. An instability in the heel can also be seen in the wear pattern of the sole.

Could be a lot of things; but definitely could be the meniscus. Images and special tests can help diagnose if it is bad enough that it is worth the time and money.

I get pain now in my left knee just from walking too much. Doing an hour mowing the yard messes it up so that I can't do treadmill for several days. I had to cut my treadmill time in 1/2, 15 minutes down from 30. Now finally its getting better. Squats don't bother mine much.

Have you recently increased cardio? Could be overuse.. I recommend alternating between bicycle and treadmill. When i was at the gym it really helped. Im doing home workouts now and don't have a stationary bike. Cycling shouldn't hurt your knee at all.

Mine hurts inside the knee, kinda on the outside edge of the bottom of my femur. If I step the wrong way it hurts bad. Walking around, if i change direction suddenly it can twist the knee and that feels like shit. When its acting up I make sure to only make turns at right angles, lol! It works.

Hi Mal,

My cardio is pretty fixed as it's my walk to the gym and back 30m each way. I also try to walk 20m or so after lunch.
Nothing in the gym.

When I do ride my bike, which is rare these days - it doesn't hurt, unless I run the wrong gear.

Sounds like a knee tracking issue which is the most common knee problem, extremely common in bodybuilders who put a lot of stress on the quads without ideal glute activation. Basically your outer quad is pulling too hard. Oddly enough, the fix may be to strengthen the glutes, especially the gluteus medium. This issue has a lot of different possible symptoms and often the fix isn't that intuitive.

It took me 30 years of nerdy bodybuilding to learn this: Physical Therapists are full doctors and working with a good one is absolutely essential for long term weight lifting success. A good therapist will use science and study proven methods to diagnose and treat you. Issues that have been developing over many years (or decades in my case) can take a lot of work to correct.

You may already know all this but it's good to state for everyone's sake. Unfortunately, PTs are expensive, but insurance companies are often happy to pay for PT because they know it saves them money.

Knee tracking is something I have wondered about as it seems my knee gets "loose" at times and that often results in pain.
I used to have a similar problem with my ankle when I was younger too, where it felt like the joint was coming apart during a step.

I probably should get to a good PT when I can. They are hard to come by here and mostly not covered by insurance.

This was my problem. I never had pain with it, just needed stronger glutes.

On last summer's rebound, I started ~205lbs. at 6% and peaked at 259lbs. at ~11% in September, and a lot of that went to my legs. Around early September I started noticing a popping on the outside of my right knee just below where the quad attaches, and it only happened on Hack squats after my first 2-3 reps. The first time it happened I immediately stopped as I didn't want a tear, but it was never painful and I cautiously continued to train with it. At that point I figured it was just tendinitis.

In October I went to a sports chiropractor to get it checked out. His diagnosis was that weakness and poor activation in my glutes was causing inflammation in the tendon, leading to the popping as it moved back and forth. I had never trained glutes directly, ever, and his recommendation was to start.

I started training glutes directly that night and the popping in my right knee has never returned.

For most joint issues, the cause is compensatory and neurological not muscular. So assuming you have the same imbalance I had (which is common) it's the gluteus medius not turning ON when it should. The nerve isn't activating it properly because TFL is doing most of the work that the glute-med should be doing. Solution: retrain the glute-med to activate instead of the TFL. The most basic way to do this is side steps with band around feet or ankles. Toes do NOT turn out, that is the TFL, toes stay forward and lead with the side of the ankle, THAT is glute-med. Your TFL has become neurologically dominate and now your femur cannot externally rotate properly when pushing out of a deep knee bend.

My PT taught me all this, if you get a really good one it's a free education as well :)

How about just doing squats to emphasize glutes some? What are some good free weight exercises you can do to stress glutes, besides stiff deads? Thinking of things i can do at home. Maybe its best to get a band and do the exercise that Kaladryn describes. Kal, could you link a good band to buy on Amazon? I'm unsure of length and resistance. Ive never used bands before.

Also, maybe a good band and exercise for working internal and external rotation of the shoulder. My left shoulder rotator cuff is a mess.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws