over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Irritating Knee Pain

For most joint issues, the cause is compensatory and neurological not muscular. So assuming you have the same imbalance I had (which is common) it's the gluteus medius not turning ON when it should. The nerve isn't activating it properly because TFL is doing most of the work that the glute-med should be doing. Solution: retrain the glute-med to activate instead of the TFL. The most basic way to do this is side steps with band around feet or ankles. Toes do NOT turn out, that is the TFL, toes stay forward and lead with the side of the ankle, THAT is glute-med. Your TFL has become neurologically dominate and now your femur cannot externally rotate properly when pushing out of a deep knee bend.

My PT taught me all this, if you get a really good one it's a free education as well :)

How about just doing squats to emphasize glutes some? What are some good free weight exercises you can do to stress glutes, besides stiff deads? Thinking of things i can do at home. Maybe its best to get a band and do the exercise that Kaladryn describes. Kal, could you link a good band to buy on Amazon? I'm unsure of length and resistance. Ive never used bands before.

Also, maybe a good band and exercise for working internal and external rotation of the shoulder. My left shoulder rotator cuff is a mess.

The only thing I've done for my glutes is kickbacks. In this situation, a compound movement like squats or SLDLs isn't enough - you need something that directly hits the glutes.

An easy way to do kickbacks at home is to attach a resistance band to something that's about the same height as your core. Put one foot on the band, bend forward or to the side a bit (whatever gets you in good position), and do kickbacks. You'll have to do them probably at a 45 degree angle downwards, but it's a an effective way to directly hit glutes.

I have an ankle that I keep twisting that's caused me a knee injury. Very frustrating.
Yeah, once you sprain it the ligaments are forever lose and more likely to give away again. That stuff never heals. My left wrist is like that now. Sprained it doing flyes when I was 16. 50 years old now and it still hurts.

Well thanks to the insightful comments here I made some small changes.

Trained glutes with legs last night using the hammer hip machine, rear and lateral movements. I did rears for prep glute detail work, but not in off-season. This is the first time working the glute medius directly.

I also got some arch support insets. My feet are flat as pancakes and I had inserts when I was a kid. My shoe wear patterns are fine, but this is a cheap experiment to try.

Yeah, once you sprain it the ligaments are forever lose and more likely to give away again. That stuff never heals. My left wrist is like that now. Sprained it doing flyes when I was 16. 50 years old now and it still hurts.

I sprained my ankle really bad last October so I'm approaching a year now. I'm seeing a doctor who specializes in these injuries in just a few weeks.

Well thanks to the insightful comments here I made some small changes.

Trained glutes with legs last night using the hammer hip machine, rear and lateral movements. I did rears for prep glute detail work, but not in off-season. This is the first time working the glute medius directly.

I also got some arch support insets. My feet are flat as pancakes and I had inserts when I was a kid. My shoe wear patterns are fine, but this is a cheap experiment to try.
Hawk, I had issues squatting due to my flat feet. I would get intense hip pain from bursa inflammation. The fix I did was also related to the glute medius. The band and side steps are good but need to be performed correctly otherwise you'll just piss it off more. Squat University on Instagram has some solid videos on how to properly do the exercise. I know I've mentioned him twice in two posts, no I'm not affiliated but he knows his stuff and the info he shared help me resolve my issues.

The toes can turn out when doing the side step but the key is to keep your knees in line with your toes. That is the external rotation that the glute medius is supposed to facilitate.

Other awesome glute centric exercises are the GHR, stiff leg-deads, properly done good mornings (not a big fan of these personally), hip thrusts (use a band on knees for warm up, weight for progress), and simply squatting with a band just above your knees. These bands are like Mark Bells Slingshot, not the high resistance powerlifting bands. I used that band during my warm up and work set squat weight and now no longer have issues with bursa, hip, or knee pain.

The last side of the story is stretching. If your quads get too tight they will pull on the patellar tendon, cause it to incorrectly rub or track and this will eventually lead to tendinitis. I hate stretching and activation stuff because its boring, but its necessary and it works. I strongly believe though that many of the ailments that plague lifters can be avoided if we do the right warm-up, and maintain mobility and flexibility respectively.

I'm up there in nomination for the flattest feet in the world award

It's actually so bad that the arch collapsed and the muscle grew from the side to compensate. I look like I have flippers for feet when I'm barefoot

Hawk, I had issues squatting due to my flat feet. I would get intense hip pain from bursa inflammation. The fix I did was also related to the glute medius. The band and side steps are good but need to be performed correctly otherwise you'll just piss it off more. Squat University on Instagram has some solid videos on how to properly do the exercise. I know I've mentioned him twice in two posts, no I'm not affiliated but he knows his stuff and the info he shared help me resolve my issues.

The toes can turn out when doing the side step but the key is to keep your knees in line with your toes. That is the external rotation that the glute medius is supposed to facilitate.

Other awesome glute centric exercises are the GHR, stiff leg-deads, properly done good mornings (not a big fan of these personally), hip thrusts (use a band on knees for warm up, weight for progress), and simply squatting with a band just above your knees. These bands are like Mark Bells Slingshot, not the high resistance powerlifting bands. I used that band during my warm up and work set squat weight and now no longer have issues with bursa, hip, or knee pain.

The last side of the story is stretching. If your quads get too tight they will pull on the patellar tendon, cause it to incorrectly rub or track and this will eventually lead to tendinitis. I hate stretching and activation stuff because its boring, but its necessary and it works. I strongly believe though that many of the ailments that plague lifters can be avoided if we do the right warm-up, and maintain mobility and flexibility respectively.

Thanks, that's very helpful.
I will check out Squat University, always more to learn.

I'm up there in nomination for the flattest feet in the world award

It's actually so bad that the arch collapsed and the muscle grew from the side to compensate. I look like I have flippers for feet when I'm barefoot
Look into orthotics. I paid $300 out of pocket for orthotics based on molds made from my feet done at my PT. They get my feet to neutral, they are too flat to get them to an arch. The benefit - I can squat with nead perfect form now with no hip or knee pain. Before I was fighting to get my knees to track properly over my toes. I paid the money out of pocket to not pull from my HSA. From a lifting perspective , one of the best $300 I've spent on getting better.

Thanks, that's very helpful.
I will check out Squat University, always more to learn.
He has a website too and I believe from memory you can search by body part. His articles typically show the anatomy, then a video of the exercise. I'm a pain as a patient at the doctor's, PT, chiro, what-have-you. I want to know why. This guy answers that in understandable language.

Best of luck.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner