advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is a keto diet the fastest way to cut body fat?

B1gJ1m

Registered
I'm considering starintg a keto diet but have never done one in the past. I've seen several posts talking about them, people being on them. I've noticed different versions of the keto diet too, some that are strcitly no carb allowed and some that allow a carb load every once in a while. I'm curious about how effective keto diets are for fat loss and which version if any is better, or is it simply personal choice.

Stats:
hgt:"6'1"
wgt:196
body fat: 12%
goal: lean and 6-8% bodyfat.

I do low to moderate intensity cardio45 min., 5-6 days a week usually first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
I weight train 4 days a week.

Thanks for any advice.

There are lots of variations of keto diets ranging from zero carbs, to cyclical keto diets, targeted keto diets, etc. Lyle McDonald wrote a good book about Keto diets.

Its not necessary to do a keto diet to get to 6% bf, it just requires caloric discipline. If you want to maintain the most mass while getting down to 6%, you could use a protein sparing modified fast and/or try the Ultimate Diet 2.0 (also by Lyle Mcdonald). Ive tried both and theyre very effective for starting a dieting phase while trying to maintain as much muscle as possible.

I'm considering starintg a keto diet but have never done one in the past. I've seen several posts talking about them, people being on them. I've noticed different versions of the keto diet too, some that are strcitly no carb allowed and some that allow a carb load every once in a while. I'm curious about how effective keto diets are for fat loss and which version if any is better, or is it simply personal choice.

Stats:
hgt:"6'1"
wgt:196
body fat: 12%
goal: lean and 6-8% bodyfat.

I do low to moderate intensity cardio45 min., 5-6 days a week usually first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
I weight train 4 days a week.

Thanks for any advice.

Your stats and mine are similar, I am getting leaner, but not off a keto diet, I do things that will come slower, but stay more on you. I eat 1 1/2 grams of protein per pound and eat low fat, moderate carbs.

Diet is a very individual thing, I've tried several diets in the past, (I worked out for 10 years, then took off 7 to develop my career) Now I'm back in the gym for one year and in the best shape of my life. Last year I was the fattest I have ever been.

I like the Keto diet, and mine goes as follows:

Day 1: High Protein, Moderate Carbs, low fat. (balanced day)
Sample of one meal would be: Chicken breast, sweet potato, brocolli

Day 2 & 3: High Protein, Low carbs, Low fat. (Low carb days)
Sample of one meal would be: Chicken breast, 2 brocolli spears
(sometimes just protein, like Tuna, Salmon, etc.)

Day 4 High Protein, High carbs, high fats. (eat a lot day)
2 T-bone steaks, Sweet potato, fruit

I also cycle my workout to accomodate my diet, since I train at night, what I eat really determines how much energy I have to train, so I train legs on the high carb day. rest on the balance day and days 2 & 3 train upper body.

I'm in my 6th week, it's working wonders for me! I'm very pleased with my results. I train with my younger brother, he can't lower his carbs as much as I do, he gets too tired and flat.

But some may need more high carb days, some need more low carb days. Take the others advice and consult a diet coach, or at least get some info from here or get one of these publications they talk about, that will be a start, but monitor your progress with photos and I personally use the calendar on my computer to keep track of what I eat and what day I'm on, body weight, workouts, etc.

Oh, I do no cardio what-so-ever. I'm not against it, but I've tried it in the past and it just made me smaller and softer. I let the diet cut the fat and train as heavy as possible, but my workouts are faster, less rest between sets, except for when I squat. Everything else is fast pace. Again, this is what I'm doing you have to try different things to see what does it for you, good luck, keep us posted!

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and advice.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member