YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is a SHALLOW incline better for upper pecs?

anab0lic

Registered
I feel like the first incline setting on most gym bench's is too steep and turns your pressing into a shoulder builder more than an upper pec builder...

Thoughts?

Yep, one notch from the bottom on incline bench does the trick.

30 degree angle at most, any thing more and you're in a dead zone between military and incline, weakest position for your chest AND your shoulders.

I agree with this but it took me a long time to realize and accept.

Declines and dips will give you all the pec growth you need. There is no way to isolate upper pecs at any angle. The pecs contract as a whole in response to resistance. Declines have been shown in studies to stimulate the most over-all pec growth.

Declines and dips will give you all the pec growth you need. There is no way to isolate upper pecs at any angle. The pecs contract as a whole in response to resistance. Declines have been shown in studies to stimulate the most over-all pec growth.

Bingo, the only way to bring up your upper pec is to do it systematically with the rest of your chest so you are better off sticking to the major mass builders. Dips, declines, and flat.

Bingo, the only way to bring up your upper pec is to do it systematically with the rest of your chest so you are better off sticking to the major mass builders. Dips, declines, and flat.

The decline DOES target and do more damage to the whole pec than Incline does BUT incline targets the upper chest MORE then the decline. So if the goal was nothing but the upper pec, the incline would be better.

The decline DOES target and do more damage to the whole pec than Incline does BUT incline targets the upper chest MORE then the decline. So if the goal was nothing but the upper pec, the incline would be better.

You cannot target any one part of the pec. This is a bodybuilding myth.

You cannot target any one part of the pec. This is a bodybuilding myth.

SuppVersity EMG Series - Musculus Pectoralis Major: The Very Best Exercises for a Chiseled Chest - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

"In summary, the inverse(=decline) bench press is the most effective exercise for the pectoralis major as a whole. The incline bench press (+45°), on the other hand, isolates the upper part of the chest muscle, i.e. the descending fibers of the pars clavicularis (cf. image 1) optimally and will thus - as bro-science tells you - bring up your " pecs"."

:confused:

SuppVersity EMG Series - Musculus Pectoralis Major: The Very Best Exercises for a Chiseled Chest - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

"In summary, the inverse(=decline) bench press is the most effective exercise for the pectoralis major as a whole. The incline bench press (+45°), on the other hand, isolates the upper part of the chest muscle, i.e. the descending fibers of the pars clavicularis (cf. image 1) optimally and will thus - as bro-science tells you - bring up your " pecs"."

Thank you for posting this study. My knowledge seems to be a bit out dated. I stand corrected.

Interesting web page, thanks for posting.

TOM: we still love you big guy! :D

start

I always start my chest with incline press and it works for me. After, I go straight to decline press. I never do steep incline because of my shoulders can't take it.

One of my favorite sites

What about overall load difference? I've met very few people who train both equally that have a higher incline bench vs. the decline. IMO for more mass more load is necessary. this would put the decline in the lead for even upper pec development.

What about overall load difference? I've met very few people who train both equally that have a higher incline bench vs. the decline. IMO for more mass more load is necessary. this would put the decline in the lead for even upper pec development.

Agreed

just be careful with incline BARBell bench press, I injured my shoulder probably about a year ago from which I have still not recovered and it was NOT very much weight at all. It was a weight that when fresh, I could easily pump out 12-15 reps....
take Phil's advice on barbell bench movements, and don't go down more then half way to save shoulders.

just be careful with incline BARBell bench press, I injured my shoulder probably about a year ago from which I have still not recovered and it was NOT very much weight at all. It was a weight that when fresh, I could easily pump out 12-15 reps....
take Phil's advice on barbell bench movements, and don't go down more then half way to save shoulders.

Yep with my long arms I stop 2-3 inches from my chest. Keeps focus on my chest and off my delts

Yep with my long arms I stop 2-3 inches from my chest. Keeps focus on my chest and off my delts

lol, I have short arms, still messed up my shoulder. Funny thing is, I didn't change anything for the rest of the workout, totally pushed on, not thinking for one second, because of the weight, that I had injured something. For me, every once in a while I'll get a twinge or whatever of pain, but then its gone after a few days at the most, that's what I thought would be the case with this too...injuries suck. you younger guys listen to us old men!:banghead:

I will venture to say yes an incline press does allow more upper pec stimulation as I did train with declines and flats only for two years. I switched back to doing a shallow incline and my upper chest has made significant improvements

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131