advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is anyone still running Fortitude Training?

AllOkJumpmaster

Registered
Newbies
It was one of the most fun and productive training programs I ever ran. I was obsessed with it. I still search youtube often for updated interviews with Scott about the program. I feel like each time he would drop some new little nuance or nugget about the program. My most recent deployment kind of sidelined my ability to run it properly and I just never got back into it.

I know there was an older thread about it here, but I read every post in there already. A lot of guys also seemed to like it. I thought maybe if anyone were still using it they might like to discuss their protocol and results?

I love it, I started recently and I wish I started sooner. I run Tier II turbo, but go upper lower upper lower. I play around with the tiers though, I might do the upper loading day with Tier III, and the turbo days as Tier I, still ironing out the details of my recovery.

I stopped because it could be challenging to do in a "commercial" gym. Been doing a more traditional; "bro split" high-volume approach for a while now. Might be time to switch back though.... for something different

I stopped because it could be challenging to do in a "commercial" gym. Been doing a more traditional; "bro split" high-volume approach for a while now. Might be time to switch back though.... for something different
it can definitely be tough during peak hours in a commercial gym, I hope you give it another shot if you are able. Thanks for the reply comment.

I love it, I started recently and I wish I started sooner. I run Tier II turbo, but go upper lower upper lower. I play around with the tiers though, I might do the upper loading day with Tier III, and the turbo days as Tier I, still ironing out the details of my recovery.
thanks for the comment, and of course glad to hear you love it, I hope you find the sweet spot. Scott's forum is kind of quiet, but the FAQ/setup critique thread has a lot of end-user feedback on tweaking the tiers.

I am a big Fortitude fan. Been running a body part split for a while now but Fortitude is my favorite go-to program when I want to mix it up

I bought the pdf a while back but for whatever reason didn’t read it properly, more glanced over it. Might revisit it

Same here.I have run it a bunch of times.It is a great thought out program.I was going real late or very early to be able to go back and forth without a crowd.I have the utmost respect for Dr.Scott.

thanks for the comment, and of course glad to hear you love it, I hope you find the sweet spot. Scott's forum is kind of quiet, but the FAQ/setup critique thread has a lot of end-user feedback on tweaking the tiers.
Plus he will directly answer all questions on his forum.

The zig-zag and super sets are almost impossible to do in a commercial gym during busy hours. but if I only have 3 days a week to lift, i always do a bastardized fortitude full body sessions.

And muscle rounds are always in my program somewhere. Except I do 5x5 instead of 6x4, as after the 3rd mini set I have no idea what rep to end the set on. I swear to god multiples of 4 are like Japanese calculus to my Brain when leg pressing 🤷‍♂️

I did it for several months following my biceps surgery. It was perfect (turbo) since I was able to focus on legs and the turbo version has you training legs 4x per week.

I did it for several months following my biceps surgery. It was perfect (turbo) since I was able to focus on legs and the turbo version has you training legs 4x per week.
I burned out fast on the tier 3 turbo lol

I am finally in an appropriate place to start again. Day 1'ing FT again starting tomorrow and really looking forward to it. It was probably the most fun I have ever had training. LFG Thanks to everyone that replied here, and to Scott for the constant knowledge and insights. @homonunculus

I am finally in an appropriate place to start again. Day 1'ing FT again starting tomorrow and really looking forward to it. It was probably the most fun I have ever had training. LFG Thanks to everyone that replied here, and to Scott for the constant knowledge and insights. @homonunculus
I'll be starting it again in a few months.Currently dieting but once I hit my goal I will start with tier 1 for a couple weeks and then tier 2 before the cruise.Are you going to do a log?

You're welcome, Brother!!!

-S

Does everyone run it two days on the trot I.e day 1 lower load upper pump then day 2 upper load. Do you find any lasting fatigue from your pump day trickling in to your load day ?

The zig-zag and super sets are almost impossible to do in a commercial gym during busy hours. but if I only have 3 days a week to lift, i always do a bastardized fortitude full body sessions.

And muscle rounds are always in my program somewhere. Except I do 5x5 instead of 6x4, as after the 3rd mini set I have no idea what rep to end the set on. I swear to god multiples of 4 are like Japanese calculus to my Brain when leg pressing 🤷‍♂️
I find I was never quite able to pick what seemed the right weight for muscle rounds. I think that’s why I tended to sway towards rest pause as it’s just fail 3 times then done

Does everyone run it two days on the trot I.e day 1 lower load upper pump then day 2 upper load. Do you find any lasting fatigue from your pump day trickling in to your load day ?
Most folks end up separating the two day with Loading sets with a day of rest. (It's what i would suggest as a starting place.)

Remember, Pump sets can be performed in most any way that suits you:

The style of execution is auto regulated ("instinctively"). You pick the exercise to complement other training you've done (lower chest if mostly upper has been done recently), your state of fatigue (see below), or whatever other nuance you want to exploit (e.g. focus on safely performing lengthened partials, as is the going trend).

So, if there is fatigue carrying over from pump sets, you can simply adjust way you execute the pump sets (go to simple continuous straight sets, for example, without any partials), alter your exercise selection (use machines vs. free-weights, for example), a/o reduce the Tier you use for pump sets (e.g., Tier I for pump sets for lower body, but Tier II otherwise).

If you find, too, let's day that pump sets from UPPER body affect Loading sets the next workout, but this isn't true for LOWER body, you can swap the order of the Days I and II, so you're doing avoiding doing UPPER Pump Sets the workout before you do your Loading sets for UPPER body.

-S

I find I was never quite able to pick what seemed the right weight for muscle rounds. I think that’s why I tended to sway towards rest pause as it’s just fail 3 times then done

RP sets are amazing (I LOVE THEM!) - nothing wrong with doing them, but....
It's normal to need a workout or two to find the right weight when staring with muscle round, but if you're logging what your'e doing it should be fairly easy to hone in on the right load:

E.g., if your...
Load was TOO HEAVY
100lb x 4/4/2 fail/ then drop to 70 for 4/4/4 (no failure after first failure point),
...you might drop to
80lb and go 4/4/4/4/2 (fail) and go to 65lb for the last set of 4 (no fail)... and then then proceed.

Of if you do this (for another exercise):
YOUR LOAD WASTOO LIGHT
150lb x 4/4/4/4/4/8 (too light, but you take the last set to failure if you've not failed before)
....you could drop to
130lb and probably end up going 4/4/4/4/4/3 and then shoot for getting more than 4 reps in the last set before moving up to 140lb.

-----------
Remember, too, there's a wide range for what's consider "OK" (it's not a super secret formula of course - just a rule for guiding progression) for a FT Muscle Round:

Simply fail (safely!) in the 4th, 5th OR in the 6th set of the MR. (Just one failure point in MR's before dropping down for the remaining sets of MR to a load you can eek out the rest of those reps with, in "perfect" form).

So, you could do MR's with heavier load and that look like this:
You want to train a bit heavier (suits you a/o the exercise):
4/4/4/2 (drop ~20% - will depend on you and the exercise ) and go 4/4 (no failure). So here you'd just progress the load so you're regularly reaching failure in the 4th set of the MR.

Or

You want to train a bit lighter
4/4/4/4/4/Fail with <~4 reps. Here, you'd just regularly fail in the 6th / last set of the MR and keep progression so that stays the case.

-------

Other options:

Keep the same weight and allow REPS to progress, such that you initially fail in the 4th and eventually in the 6th set of the MR
Start heavy 4/4/4/2 (fail)... 4/4
Same weight and progress to 4/4/4/4/4/ (fail)
THEN PROGRESS THE WEIGHT

-OR- (if this suits your mentality - you REALLY like moving the weights up) and/or the exercise is one you're able to do this an keep execution in line with a strong mind-muscle connection)

Focus strongly on progressing the LOAD:

Start with a Load where you fail in the 6th set of the MR and aggressively increase the load so your failure point moves towards the failing in the 4th set of the MR. It could look like this over time:

100lb x 4/4/4/4/4/3(f)
110 x 4/4/4/4/4/2(f)
120 x 4/4/4/4/3(f)/ 100x4
130 x 4/4/4/4/2(f)/110x4
140 x 4/4/4/3(f) / 110 x4/4
150 x 4/4/4/2(f) / 110/4/4
-----
Then you might start over but with 120lb (vs. the 100lb from 6 weeks previously) and go:
120 x 4/4/4/4/4/3... And onward.

---------------

ALSO note that the regularity / pattern of how you use the same exercises for MR's is up to you. You can:
--- Do the same exercise week in and week out, and try to progress in this fashion per the above examples. (LOADING sets are where the progressive overload is a do or die thing with FT, and MR's can be as well, but this is an individual thing).
--- Pick the MR exercises in an auto regulated fashion and use (as I recommend in the book) a "Pool" of exercises: You STILL try to progress each time you come back to an exercise, but needn't do them every single week in a strict pattern as is how the Loading sets are carried out.
--- Any of various hybrids of the above: Some exercises for MR's are religiously carried out in a progressive overload fashion (performed regularly per a strict pattern), but the reaming exercises for Muscle Rounds fora given muscle group (per the Volume Tier you're using) would be chosen according to your recovery state, etc. as you do with Pump sets (but still typically performed with an eye on beating the previous performance, be that form 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 two year previously).

-Scott

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity