Votes: 63 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • They will grow/ shrink together

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters

Bertucci

Registered
I was talking with a buddy today and we got to talking about how the number of bodybuilding competitors is diminishing but the number of 'mens bikini' competitors is growing. Do you feel that physique is the future of bodybuilding?

I think its on the decline...dying, well I dunno if its dying.

It has been on the decline since I started back in the 1980's so they said.....

The prize money for the Mr. O has increased over the past years. I don't think it's dying. It's not like it was back in the 70's-90's, but I still think it's a strong force, IMO.

I think to those not looking for a title its booming , so many girls involved , so many girls on gear , new gyms popping up like crazy , my girl dies her first bench competition this Saturday , the place will be packed , she's 5'4" ,143 putting up 180

Not at all. The number of extreme BB's will probably be the same but it is all the other weight classes that will increase. With all the reality shows and people wanting to get their face and body out there and show themselves in some kind of way there will also be more people wanting to show themselves on a stage. We will still have the extreme physiques for men and women but will aso have everything in between the largest BBs and the beach bodies.

I don't know if it's dying, but I sure hope something changes. The ridiculous amount of drug abuse in this sport is a real turn-off.

I think it's just because men's physique is easier than bodybuilding. Don't need legs, and don't need to be as peeled as you would if you were competing in bodybuilding. People tend to gravitate toward what is easier.

dunnno if its dying in society but its not as popular in mainstream media like i remember when i was a kid and npc nationals used to be on espn,not anymore in my early 20's i used to be able to rder the arnold classic and the olympia on pay per view in my area in the country you cant order em now I would lve to see shows televised again on espn instead of showing texas hold em,really??

I don't know if it's dying, but I sure hope something changes. The ridiculous amount of drug abuse in this sport is a real turn-off.

drug abuse has been a factor since the '50s who cares

there are lots of Natural tested organizations too

abuse will never, ever, ever, be curbed... not only is it impossible but its not needed. massive drugs do NOT get you to be a champion bodybuilder. genetics and hard work play a bigger role in determining winners and losers

And it all depends on the shows, I compete often, ive had ~20 guys in my class and ive had 4 guys in my class, all depends on the show

national shows continue to grow in size every year as well

now the FAN BASE, thats non existent lol... thats not going to come back, this is not entertaining to watch and I dont think people will ever appreciate bodybuilding as a legitimate "sport"

I think it's just because men's physique is easier than bodybuilding. Don't need legs, and don't need to be as peeled as you would if you were competing in bodybuilding. People tend to gravitate toward what is easier.

Agreed, I think they should get rid of the fucking bermuda shorts, maybe have them wear shorts that are above knee cap level so they can judge that bodypart like any other, til then I have no respect for them, and sadly some of those guys use as much or MORE gear then the hardcore bodybuilders, fucking silly.

I don't think they are gravitating towards it because it is easier, I think they are going that direction because they prefer that look and because women prefer that look.
Every single person I talk to that is not involved in bodybuilding thinks that both huge muscles and extreme vascularity are silly looking. My non lifting friends always tell me that I should stop trying to be so big and just be ripped.... 'chicks like that' they say (and these are guys in their 30's, lol).
None of them want to look like bodybuilders, they would all rather look like larger fitness models.
I fall kind of in the middle, I prefer the Frank Zane and Serge Nubret level of muscularity.... still body builders, but not abnormally huge or freakish looking.

i dont think its dying. i know a lot of people who are taking it seriously. mens bikini is really just the look at my abs and faux hawk kids who had no spot to compete before that class come up. definitely not people who once were bodybuilders.

however i have to agree with what was mentioned before that if anything is killing the sport, its the drug abuse. key word being abuse think back to the early days when the drug use was typical of what an average person would use, now we have people who are pushing the boundaries of what is genetically possible with drugs. kinda takes the fun out of it if you ask me..

It's a sport?

Bodybuilding is dying.

I am a big fan of the sport, but the guys have gotten too big. I think for the average guy its just to unobtainable at this point. I think men's physique will get bigger and bigger and all the money will end up there. You see it with MMA taking contract money, and add men's physique. I dont think it will ever be like when Joe Weider ran things in Bodybuilding it was the Golden years for big contracts. I cost too much money to be that big, with no return on your investment. I would say to everybody that has a brain. Do it as a hobby to get Woman and that's it.

It's a sport?

no its a glorified beauty pageant. its not dying, its just that the other divisions are more attractive and drawing in more. you dont have to diet or work out that hard to be in those, or take it to the extremes with drug use and final weeks prep. i'm not knocking those guys who do it, just stating the obvious. hell you also "rube" people into thinking you are quasi natural in those divisions too.

I am a big fan of the sport, but the guys have gotten too big. I think for the average guy its just to unobtainable at this point. I think men's physique will get bigger and bigger and all the money will end up there. You see it with MMA taking contract money, and add men's physique. I dont think it will ever be like when Joe Weider ran things in Bodybuilding it was the Golden years for big contracts. I cost too much money to be that big, with no return on your investment. I would say to everybody that has a brain. Do it as a hobby to get Woman and that's it.

Key words right there. The cost to do a show is insane, you could easily buy a new car or something nice like that...

Well, look at it from this perspective...over the past few decades the size of competing members is increasing. Modern competitors have a massive amount of muscle compared to the fellows of the classic era. The dosages of drugs when discussed are much higher, and the kind of drugs used has changed. HGH is prominent, just look at the stomachs of so many competing people, looks like a watermelon is hidden inside them. Also whatever methods or substances used for fatloss seem more extreme as contestants are more vascular and have noticeably lower bf%. Perhaps there are fewer overall competitors because the demands of the sport have grown and the commitment and sacrifice has increased with the increasing aas and compounds necessary. Perhaps if those viewing the competitions and participating in them could learn to accept smaller sized people, in essence lower the neccessity doses of aas, then there would be more competeing people. Physique and balance is the key, so it would seem to me that if the tread of sheer muscle mass does not reduce then the sport will become more selective and smaller as a whole (though not necesarily smaller on a financial scale).

Agreed, I think they should get rid of the fucking bermuda shorts, maybe have them wear shorts that are above knee cap level so they can judge that bodypart like any other, til then I have no respect for them, and sadly some of those guys use as much or MORE gear then the hardcore bodybuilders, fucking silly.

:D

Attachments

• mens physique.jpg
    mens physique.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 4,756

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members