Is Bodybuilding a Dying Sport?

• Yes

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • They will grow/ shrink together

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
I dont think its dying. The fitness models are new so it may seem like it may take over bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is gonna grow. There are lots of kids who wanna grow up and be big and strong.

In the 90's and early 2000's many were saying metal music was dying or dead. Of course bands like Pantera were always kicking ass despite this. The view of something "dying" has more to do with magazine publications and media telling the average person what to think. But look at how many of us are on here. Not all of us compete but if we did it sure as hell wouldn't look like bodybuilding is dying. And metal is still alive and kicking. It's an ebb and flow kind of thing. Your true bodybuilders will always be here and influencing others despite what mainstream media says.

In the words of Philip Anselmo of Pantera, "Fuck 'em all"

I think it is cyclical...Appears to be coming back in this region, after a lull.

I don't completely understand what's going on with it right now. The thing that makes it hard to keep interesting is that in the tabloids and the articles how many different ways can we be informed on how to do the same thing? Bodybuilders have been doing the same thing in the same way for 50 years or so and its just stale to read about at some point. I mean, all these stupid New ways to train or diet are just desperate attempt to keep New and exciting things integrated. But we aren't stupid. Same shit, different day. We only care because we have a passion for training and building a better body. Most if not all fans of bodybuilding are also bodybuilders. Narrow audience to say the least.

I don't completely understand what's going on with it right now. The thing that makes it hard to keep interesting is that in the tabloids and the articles how many different ways can we be informed on how to do the same thing? Bodybuilders have been doing the same thing in the same way for 50 years or so and its just stale to read about at some point. I mean, all these stupid New ways to train or diet are just desperate attempt to keep New and exciting things integrated. But we aren't stupid. Same shit, different day. We only care because we have a passion for training and building a better body. Most if not all fans of bodybuilding are also bodybuilders. Narrow audience to say the least.

as long as the youth keep aging, they will always discover it as new. after being into the workout scene since around 17, almost ten years later im talking to friends who are getting into it now and relaying me information i have known since my teens.

with that being said, i think their making it more marketable. dont wanna be a jacked freak? how about a model type figure. kinda thing. is it just me or are their a lot more wannabe bodybuilders hitting the gym now a days

Last edited:
The smaller cut look is certainly taking over but there will always be people who want to be as big as they can get.

Bodybuilding as a whole will just get more and more popular as the world is getting more look conscious.

You must laugh a lot during the olympics then too

And you don't laugh? It's comical to refer to a bodybuilder as an athlete, just as it is even funnier to call someone in curling an athlete

I see it as this odd body modification scene that gets supported by supplement company money. Its not really about fitness (tren?, diuretics?) but more about building and sculpting never before seen human forms. When Arnold gives his fitness talk it seems hilarious to me. Good training, diet and lots of drugs is key. It's not a sport that I really follow and IMO it's not a sport.

It would be nice to see a move in the enhancement community (gear/gh bros) towards power lifting, MMA and crossfit. More badass and less vanity.

Last edited:
I went to our NPC state championship last night and the venue was sold out, standing room only. This is the first time i have seen this happen in Alaska.

But....
There where more mens Physique competitors than bodybuilders, no women bodybuilders at all (plenty of figure and bikini), and the best bodybuilder also took the overall in Physique. He had great conditioning, but not much X shape or size.

It seems that around here people are more interested in getting a trophy for looking pretty than are willing to bust their ass to put on muscle.

The whole thing kinda made me feel like a dinosaur. Hmm... maybe I could be a normasaurus!!!

I was just asking myself the same thing last night.It seems the that mucle models are to grow in popularity. When you get a chance look up Mike Rashid he training with ct fletcher. He is contest shape year round.

I went to our NPC state championship last night and the venue was sold out, standing room only. This is the first time i have seen this happen in Alaska.

But....
There where more mens Physique competitors than bodybuilders, no women bodybuilders at all (plenty of figure and bikini), and the best bodybuilder also took the overall in Physique. He had great conditioning, but not much X shape or size.

It seems that around here people are more interested in getting a trophy for looking pretty than are willing to bust their ass to put on muscle.

The whole thing kinda made me feel like a dinosaur. Hmm... maybe I could be a normasaurus!!!
Not everyone wants to be freakishly huge, and frankly it's come to the point where if you aren't willing to spend the tens of thousands on gear you have no shot at body building.
At least with physique contests your average guy that doesn't have the extra money and time for body building can still manage to develop an impressive physique that can win contests.
Personally though, I think physique contests are a little lame with the board shorts. Legs are the most important muscle imo. Then for me body builders have gotten too big with less focus on aesthetics. I feel like it was in its prime back in the 60's and 70's. If only I was born in the 40's or 50's.

Bodybuilding has never been mainstream anywhere in the world, ever...

Some charismatic people like Arnold brought some attention to the sport, but it was brief.

Pro bodybuilding isn't dying, but it isn't growing much either.
Healthy weight lifting seems to be growing nowadays.

It seems like every guy these days is a physique competitor.

I am more like a hardcore BB'er type

A few weeks ago...dude in my gym who is in to the board shorts competitions made a comment to me about 'I wish bulk up season was all year'.

I laughed and replied....'what are you talking about, it is.....'

It is 'easy' for any guy with god given muscles to pump up a little and walk on stage for a 'board shorts' competition....its just a 'pretty boy' show after all

REAL bodybuilding is a whole other bear

you cant even compare the two

It is like a walk in the park compared to a marathon sprint

marketing

In my opinion what we need is an enterprising person to see the opportunity here to "re market" body building and bring it into the modern main stream

Maybe a reality show? featuring a few men and women bb? Couldn't hurt that's for sure

In my opinion what we need is an enterprising person to see the opportunity here to "re market" body building and bring it into the modern main stream

Maybe a reality show? featuring a few men and women bb? Couldn't hurt that's for sure

It wouldn't work.

Most people are grossed out by the appearance of bodybuilders. Even the new Conan is a lot smaller than Arnold. Let's face it, bodybuilders can barely walk like a normal person and looke more like a cartoon than a human being. It's weird.

Last edited:
Based off how large the local shows are I would say it is growing!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There is a reality show like that, and it was made a few years back. The participants were boring because they had no life outside of lifting and getting buff.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws