Is Bodybuilding a Dying Sport?

• Yes

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • They will grow/ shrink together

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
Bodybuilding is a dying sport in So. Cal. In just the last two years bodybuilding entries are way down, men's physique and bikini have taken over. The promoters are loving it, half full auditoriums are full again, at least they are when those two categories are competing. At the USA's this year, capitalizing on the MP and Bikini categories growth, two pro cards per division were given out. What the hell does a person do with a MP or Bikini pro card?? To reinforce that point, most of the recently appointed "pro's" don't have sponsorship and probably never will.

Who cares what BBing is; a sport, hobby, ballet, etc. It is whatever you make if it.

Is it dying? Hell yes. How can you not see it? The introduction of BS like men's physique and bikini shows the slack needs to be made up for. But It could also just mean promoters and whoever want to make more money and sex sells.

The whole idea of amateurs not being allowed to win cash prizes is baffling. Honestly, SOMEONE explain that to me.

I think it comes down to the mentality of society today, US society. If i'm going to do something like invest into a "sport" or whatever, if I win, I should be rewarded. What is a better reward then cash? Cash is the greatest motivator. You invest so much of it into a prep, i'd be great to get some percentage of it back. When faced with reality of what needs to be done to actually make a profit from BBing: g4p, sponsorship, dealing drugs, etc. I can see how many people say fuck it.

I enjoy competing at local shows, but the idea of going and the expense of a national show is daunting. I'm looking at paying for 2 round trip tickets (girl & me), hotel, rental car, gas, food, registration, and NPC card fees. While at the show, if your lucky, people are going to be taking your picture, videoing you, and using your body basically to make money. No competitor is going to say no to MD or RX if they want your picture, right?

This my own view point in the subject, I don't care to argue it. Just adding another POV to the topic.

Last edited:
Who cares what BBing is; a sport, hobby, ballet, etc. It is whatever you make if it.

Is it dying? Hell yes. How can you not see it? The introduction of BS like men's physique and bikini shows the slack needs to be made up for. But It could also just mean promoters and whoever want to make more money and sex sells.

The whole idea of amateurs not being allowed to win cash prizes is baffling. Honestly, SOMEONE explain that to me.

I think it comes down to the mentality of society today, US society. If i'm going to do something like invest into a "sport" or whatever, if I win, I should be rewarded. What is a better reward then cash? Cash is the greatest motivator. You invest so much of it into a prep, i'd be great to get some percentage of it back. When faced with reality of what needs to be done to actually make a profit from BBing: g4p, sponsorship, dealing drugs, etc. I can see how many people say fuck it.

I enjoy competing at local shows, but the idea of going and the expense of a national show is daunting. I'm looking at paying for 2 round trip tickets (girl & me), hotel, rental car, gas, food, registration, and NPC card fees. While at the show, if your lucky, people are going to be taking your picture, videoing you, and using your body basically to make money. No competitor is going to say no to MD or RX if they want your picture, right?

This my own view point in the subject, I don't care to argue it. Just adding another POV to the topic.
Zomb makes some great points....
I saw a lot of guys who were competing when I first started in 04.
They werent competing at my show, they were judges, expeditors, and in the crowd as coaches or just came to see the show.
A lot of them were talking to me as if Im the old guard...lol!
They all have dropped out of competition and imagine reasons like what Zomb mentioned has to do with why.
I spent a ridiculous amount of money on budget to do this show, and Ill bet you it was still close to 5-6000.00 total and that was with people paying for things like, tanning, NPC, card and entry fee.
I got 3rd in both my classes and lost to very good competitors, as someone said rather get beaten by the best then beat some push over.
But, what do I have to show for it?
Acknowldegement? Ok great but I have not a penny back in my had from it, I do it because I am still passionate, but I see a lot of the other people smarten up and get out of stage life and I see why the bermuda klan is taking over.

I think one thing to look at there, however, is the level of competition. How many of those guys come in looking really good, regardless of whether or not they have top level genetics? From what I've noticed it seems that half the guys at some of these shows go onstage and look downright pathetic. Not to dog on them or anything, but you always see those guys who weigh close to 180 lbs and have 10% bodyfat and are flat as hell.

the question was is the sport dying not how many people are good. its like any sport you have some better than others

Bodybuilding is a dying sport in So. Cal. In just the last two years bodybuilding entries are way down, men's physique and bikini have taken over. The promoters are loving it, half full auditoriums are full again, at least they are when those two categories are competing. At the USA's this year, capitalizing on the MP and Bikini categories growth, two pro cards per division were given out. What the hell does a person do with a MP or Bikini pro card?? To reinforce that point, most of the recently appointed "pro's" don't have sponsorship and probably never will.

Compete pro mens physique.

I dont understand why people hate on men's physique. I mean its not my thing but i see these guys bust ass in the gym. i live in san diego and there are alot of mp competitors here but to each there own.

not everyone wants to be juiced to the gills and eat pounds and pounds of meat everyday

the question was is the sport dying not how many people are good. its like any sport you have some better than others

Well I just mean that since a lot of the competition is not that difficult doesn't that reflect on the popularity of the sport? I always hear guys talking about how in the 80's local shows had some real competition but now they don't have as much.

Well I just mean that since a lot of the competition is not that difficult doesn't that reflect on the popularity of the sport? I always hear guys talking about how in the 80's local shows had some real competition but now they don't have as much.

I see your point.

i mean i guess as long as people are following it then its good. I mean i see alot of older guys or people who dont even work out follow it.

Those are the ones who prob sponsor majority of the guys hahaha (gay for payers).

It seems the 80's had better drugs as well.

I think it's about to blow up in Texas we have good shows that are growing with bodybuilders and with the new movie coming out next year I think it's just gonna get bigger

What the hell does a person do with a MP or Bikini pro card??

What does someone do with a BODYBUILDING pro card, considering most can't, won't, or don't parlay it into anything (read: a living)?

What does someone do with a BODYBUILDING pro card, considering most can't, won't, or don't parlay it into anything (read: a living)?

Bob Chicerillo (sp?) wrote an article about pro bbers saying if you were lucky enough to make 3rd at a qualifier for the Olympia during the year the money you spent and the money you made from the prize money translated into about $8.50 an hour.
Not too mention no health benefits or coverage for a sport that involves pushing the limits of healthy living and can be quite unhealthy at times.
Its no wonder guys drop out.

no its a glorified beauty pageant. its not dying, its just that the other divisions are more attractive and drawing in more. you dont have to diet or work out that hard to be in those, or take it to the extremes with drug use and final weeks prep. i'm not knocking those guys who do it, just stating the obvious. hell you also "rube" people into thinking you are quasi natural in those divisions too.

I agree, I love the hobby of bodybuilding. It's like a car show in a way. ITS SUBJECTIVE. Some people like the Corvette more than the Viper sometimes the judges choose the Viper sometimes they choose the Corvette. I prefer the look of the corvette.
I think things have gotten really extreme, but I enjoy seeing how far the human body can go.

Absolutely YES

And for sure most ALL of the presents day bodybuilders are ALL also dying off one by one .. The Bottom line is there is no way a person can put so much Shit into his body over a long period of time and not FUCK yourself up EXTREMELY BAD

our sport

pro bodybuilding has always been an underground sport, maybe now more than ever after all the anti steroid media crap...i remember watching the ifbb on ESPN back in the 90's...those days are over, thanks in part to President George W. Bush and his state of the union address where he chose to address steroid use in sports rather than the failing economy, rape, murder, terrorist, child molestors, cocaine, heroin, crooked politicians, crooked cops, i mean really that shit was painful to watch for me:banghead:. No more pro bodybuilding on espn after that night, to the best of my recollection.

Zomb kept it real in his post.

To piggy back on it, I've weighed the pros and cons of competing and every time, the cons just outweigh the benefits.

- I don't have ifbb pro genetic size (my structure is good though). To even get close to their size, I would have to abuse so many drugs under the sun in very high doses, which is obviously going to lead to a shortened lifespan, along with the fact it will cost an insane amount of money over time. I know what my genetic response to gear is, and this happens to be the case with me.

- Like zomb stated, why compete in a local show just to win nothing but a little pride? No financial reward at all, and I will have to go on a miserable contest diet and become a hermit to the world. I'm too outgoing to shut myself off to society.

- I don't know how to pose, so it would be a bitch to learn how to do all that too.

Overall, unless someone has a legit shot to give Heath a run for his olympia crown, or at least become Olympia caliber, I don't see the point. If you aren't getting sponsored or getting paid to attend events, then what the hell are you doing with yourself?

And for sure most ALL of the presents day bodybuilders are ALL also dying off one by one .. The Bottom line is there is no way a person can put so much Shit into his body over a long period of time and not FUCK yourself up EXTREMELY BAD

Well, some get lucky like the guy that smokes 2 packs or more of cigarettes a day and never has a single health problem and dies in his 80s. One of my best friends is like that, and really the whole male side of his family. His grandfather lived to be in his 90s and smoked a pack a day or more up to his death, his father smokes about 2 packs a day and hes is about 70 now with no issues. Some are lucky that way. He himself smokes at least 2 packs a day now. He is lucky because he is in the family business and they all smoke at work.

Its too bad that guys choose to look at the examples of people that have no issues and then look at those that have either died or suffered serious damage and rub it off as bad genes.

Last edited:
i dunno whats going on in america

but in australia bodybuilding the sport itself isnt popular, but jesus christ its become a fashion trend bigger then slice bread lately

everyones got fan pages, training pages, training videos, fb motivational posts, selfie pics, gym status updates, dieting tip pages, online videos, promotions fo bodybuilding and fitness clothing

shits unreal, what was almost unknown 2-3 years ago, now everywhere i go i get atleast 10 men per hour asking me 'whats ur macros like brah?'' whats ya split like brah?'

i even got women wearing matching clothing outfits at gym, men wearing rocky balboa shoes when squating, men wearing sleeplvess zip up hoodie jackets, with the zip undone and no tshirt underneath, hell a weightbelt is a fashion accessory in the gym or shopping centres today, i seen quiet a few guys after gym stroll through shopping malls still wearing there weight belts, or at the gym doing the stepper with there weight belt on............

this sports becoming a big fashion trend now

Well, some get lucky like the guy that smokes 2 packs or more of cigarettes a day and never has a single health problem and dies in his 80s. One of my best friends is like that, and really the whole male side of his family. His grandfather lived to be in his 90s and smoked a pack a day or more up to his death, his father smokes about 2 packs a day and hes is about 70 now with no issues. Some are lucky that way. He himself smokes at least 2 packs a day now. He is lucky because he is in the family business and they all smoke at work.

Its too bad that guys choose to look at the examples of people that have no issues and then look at those that have either died or suffered serious damage and rub it off as bad genes.

that is my grandma and grandpa.. chain smoking since 17.. they are 86 and 90 years old now (respectively)

i dunno whats going on in america

but in australia bodybuilding the sport itself isnt popular, but jesus christ its become a fashion trend bigger then slice bread lately

everyones got fan pages, training pages, training videos, fb motivational posts, selfie pics, gym status updates, dieting tip pages, online videos, promotions fo bodybuilding and fitness clothing

shits unreal, what was almost unknown 2-3 years ago, now everywhere i go i get atleast 10 men per hour asking me 'whats ur macros like brah?'' whats ya split like brah?'

i even got women wearing matching clothing outfits at gym, men wearing rocky balboa shoes when squating, men wearing sleeplvess zip up hoodie jackets, with the zip undone and no tshirt underneath, hell a weightbelt is a fashion accessory in the gym or shopping centres today, i seen quiet a few guys after gym stroll through shopping malls still wearing there weight belts, or at the gym doing the stepper with there weight belt on............

this sports becoming a big fashion trend now

I think this has a lot to do with people figuring out a way to exploit the athletes, if you want to call them that. I know a girl who is on a figure 'team' and she has to pay huge amounts of money for a trainer who works with a ton of other girls, photo shoots, and all this other garbage. She's in the hole a few grand and she has only done local level shows, all while she is in college. These teams try to market the idea that if you get on their bandwagon and let them have their way with you that you'll become some high level athlete, when in actuality many of these girls run out of money and have to stop competing altogether, all because of these teams.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131