kinglab
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is Calorie Surplus really necesary to build muscle/gain weight on AAS?

Kaladryn

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
A calorie surplus doesn't necessarily help you grow, it just ensures you don't accidentally eat a calorie deficit, eating the exact right amount is impossible. I think the perfect amount of surplus is just enough to gain is around 1 pound per month, you can diet that off extremely fast.

Some people do seem to get results from even greater surpluses.

USMuscle9403

Registered
This is what I find intriguing, we know that technically we only need a small surplus (and honestly no one knows exactly how many calories are in every single thing they eat) to gain muscle without gaining body fat. Moreover, there's obviously a limit to how much muscle one can put on in a given time period... You would think. Then you have guys like Jordan Peters, whom I've never seen out of shape, gaining massive amounts of lean body mass in very short order eating 10k a day. Training and drugs, sure, those account for a lot, but so much that it mitigates a ridiculous calorie surplus while sparing him much body fat? I think there are myriad variables at play here and I think a few we may not fully understand.

Elvia1023

Featured Member / Supp Guru / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Verified Customer
This is what I find intriguing, we know that technically we only need a small surplus (and honestly no one knows exactly how many calories are in every single thing they eat) to gain muscle without gaining body fat. Moreover, there's obviously a limit to how much muscle one can put on in a given time period... You would think. Then you have guys like Jordan Peters, whom I've never seen out of shape, gaining massive amounts of lean body mass in very short order eating 10k a day. Training and drugs, sure, those account for a lot, but so much that it mitigates a ridiculous calorie surplus while sparing him much body fat? I think there are myriad variables at play here and I think a few we may not fully understand.

I haven't kept up with this thread and as you state there are so many variables it would be impossible to state a definite generalized answer. You would need to investigate each person in a near clinical setting basically monitoring everything they take in and do. Ok so maybe that is wrong as a generalized answer would be lbm, calories/macros, activity (cardio/training) and drugs. There will be some things we are unaware of but I think even the basics are enough to understand how it can occur (staying leaner). Some guys are very active and that helps. Some carry a lot of muscle so that automatically increases their caloric needs. Adding both together obviously increases those needs further. Someone who has 260 pounds of lean muscle who is training hard is going to need a lot of calories to just maintain, nevermind grow.

Adding certain drugs on top of that equation can also change things dramatically. Some of these guys don't even move much but they carry a lot of muscle and they basically abuse the drugs. They are often take much more than people think as well. If a guy is on 6-30iu hgh daily for example it's going to change things dramatically. Some people are in the upper part of that IU range as well so their bodies become furnace like. All of these guys are following a consistent and progressive diet as well which only adds to things. That's why a lot of guys can stay fairly lean at a big body weight taking in massive amounts of calories and not even being that active through the day apart from training. It's also worth noting many also keep covered up in the off season so they can hide what extra fat/water they have put on. Quite often they just post an odd pic and that can be manipulated to look as good as possible (empty stomach, angle, lighting etc).

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Facefirst