over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

is competing worth it?

beastmode121

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I been waking up recently and questioning myself and this whole prep.
Is it worth competing if I’m going no where with bodybuilding even if I won ?
how about if it’s affecting my work, family and social life?
I have a career; why am I even focusing on something else that I’m going to gain nothing from ?
is the sacrifice worth it when I can put my energy in something else?
am I just a narcissist who loves looking at his shredded muscle in the mirror and show off his gains?
wtf am I doing? I already done 6 shows, what am I trying to prove?

it’s been one of these days man...

why do birds sing and why to fish swim.
because they can, because its part of them, and sometimes it gets you from point a to point b.
If you enjoy it and your not neglecting your job, family, or social life -- then you are fine.
you never know the next competition might open a new door for you.
you just have to enjoy it, do it for yourself, and not hurt anyone along the way

The beauty of bodybuilding is that you can't justify it, it doesn't pretend to be anything useful. But most human activities fall into this category. Don't look for utilitarianism in all things, just enjoy.

The discipline it takes to go through a prep translates over really well into my daily life and businesses. I would not be where I am from a financial standpoint had I not stepped on stage... Prep really gives you clarity when it comes to time management I feel and the fact that my businesses are in the health and fitness industry definitely doesn't hurt. For me, its worth it.

I think you need to take a step back and ask yourself if that's how you actually feel or did you just have a bad day which led you to typing out that message. Personally I don't like making decisions when I'm stressed or emotions are in the way but sometimes it takes stress to push us to make decisions we normally would not.

I think it's all very personal. Why does anybody do anything. If you TRULY enjoy it, continue. If the passion has faded then step away for a bit, possibly for good. Only time will tell. If there's something else your time would be better spent doing, only you would know what that is.

You may have answered your own question(s) in your original post....unless you are just hungry, lol.

You can still look and feel great without competing...while also finding a compromise between work, family, etc.

Another question I would ask myself, is bodybuilding negatively affecting my health? Sounds like its negatively affecting your family and friends. Ask your family if they are ok with it. If they say they want you to stop, I would seriously consider it. The health question is going to depend on how many PEDs you're taking for the contest. Obviously if there is evidence that your health is under assault, it's time to stop.

Sorry, but nothing is worth sacrificing family time and your job efficiency. If it's seriously effecting any of that, you need to reevaluate. Especially if you're not even making a living from it. If there's a way you can continue but still maintain a work, life and health balance, then do it, but you have to really think about what you're getting out of this. I have no willingness to compete because I'm extremely OCD and know I'd let it consume me to the point of detriment in other facets of my life. Even harder dieting has effected my job performance and relationships. I'm not trying to deter you from what you love, just things to think about.

I did one show placed 3rd and started a prep for my second to go for a win. I was killing my prep and looking better than ever at that point. One day I woke up and realized I didnt care for the show promoter, the people I was competing with, or the crowd I had started associating with as a result of being a "bodybuilder". I literally just said fuck it but peaked for the show anyways. Never stepped on stage though and never wanted to do another but most importantly had zero regrets.

Now the question is, would I have won? I could not possibly care any less to be blunt.

Now this is just me and trophies mean nothing to me. On any given day you win as long as the other guy doesnt show up. The one who has your number.

Is it worth it? Well you're the one spending money on most likely an NPC card, the promoters fees, time, and the posing practice.

For me, i love lifting, the gear, supplements, learning about the human body, the sense of fullfillment, pushing myself, and the reward that comes with it. I still get all of that and thats all I want and thats without ever getting a trophy for my efforts or being acknowledged for what I do with my time.

I get asked "do you compete?"and my answer is always the same "whats it pay?" Thats where im at in life.

Good luck. Either way youve built a physique most guys dream about having themselves.

If you have already done 6 shows, then, you know what you get from the entire process. Do you need to repeat or not worth it? Everyone is different, some people never compete, others compete once and do not want to go back on stage, and others simply become addicted to the stage.

Competing is expensive, money is a problem? You can always get in contest shape but no go to stage and avoid registration fees, travel and hotel...

Are you a narcicist and want flattery or bodybuilding is just an area where you challenge your limits?

If you have already done 6 shows, then, you know what you get from the entire process. Do you need to repeat or not worth it? Everyone is different, some people never compete, others compete once and do not want to go back on stage, and others simply become addicted to the stage.

Competing is expensive, money is a problem? You can always get in contest shape but no go to stage and avoid registration fees, travel and hotel...

Are you a narcicist and want flattery or bodybuilding is just an area where you challenge your limits?

IT'S JUST A HOBBY! If your hobby starts affecting your friends and family in a negative manner then pick another hobby. Simple as that!

very good insights from everyone.
Thinking about it now with a full stomach and a clear vision..

I love bodybuilding; I love competing because I’m a competitive person and want to be the best at everything I do but is it worth the mental fuckery? can I balance life and bodybuilding together? will it consume me and become a selfish asshole?
I had to think clearly and decide it isn’t worth it. this is my life style; but I should be doing this for more than selfish reason chasing a trophy.

scrolling through IG, It’s clear what a narcissistic sport we are in. I’m guilty of this..

If its not hurting you, or hindering your responsibilities then i think its worth it.

i competed when i was in my early and mid 20's. i remember the mindset i was in. so laser focus. i burnt out. i honestly get envious the day of the show and how you look is so fucking awesome. i just cant bring myself to get to that mind set again. no matter how hard i try. i hate fucking eating 6-8 times a day.
so if you can do it fuck ya its worth it. its awesome

This is a ridiculously interesting question i ask myself all the time.

The real question is—
WHAT DRIVES YOU
I happen to be someone who needs a purpose. Some people get it from their jobs, others dont. Some people just dont think this way at all. They can kinda cruise through life without much thought. I, cannot.
I basically can't "stay the same." I need something to chase. I do it in my actual 9-5. I'm ambitious.
And it's also why i love the gym. I can't just stay lean and maintain. I need to be getting leaner, bigger, stronger, something.
I'm not saying that chasing something and being passionate about those goals is a must-have trait to compete....
But i like that it's an easy way to have fun and actually access your progress , something you've worked so hard on, every couple years.

I'm definitely not into the compete every year thing. Hell, im not a good BBer. I have shitty injuries and a structure that is NOT GOOD for this sport. But i love pushing myself and chasing something. And every couple years, after chasing hard, I like to say, "ok, lets see what the finished product looks like..."

I just asked myself this today.... this Saturday i'll be 16 weeks out from what my 1st show this year SHOULD Be.... I will say i dont have the same hunger i did before winning my Pro card.... 2017 turned Pro and did my Pro debut (2nd place)... 2018 did a few including the NY Pro (got SMOKED)... 2019 i took off as i couldnt get my mind where it needed to be... turned 50 last month and have Pittsburgh Masters circled on my calendar... thinking "ok this will be my last year" and THAT would be my driving force..... but im thinking "why?.. what for?".."wheres the return?".. There is no lucrative money in Masters and in Opens i dont have a prayer... So wtf???...Even if I WIN, i lose with expenses etc etc... They say you have to "find balance" but to compete and DO WELL (ESPECIALLY as a Pro) you cant have balance.... you have to give it your all towards competing.... am i willing to do that NOW at 50?? im not so sure anymore.... theres TONS that one needs to weigh out... Im a single guy and have found THEE love of my life.. and even though she supports the competing, i don't want her to see that grumpy ass HANGRY side of me when i get deep in prep... the sex is outta this world and am also concerned the drugs i need to take will affect my libido/erections.... so its quite the conundrum...like BIO stated above ITS ALL PERSONAL .....i still dont know what the fuck to do...

I just asked myself this today.... this Saturday i'll be 16 weeks out from what my 1st show this year SHOULD Be.... I will say i dont have the same hunger i did before winning my Pro card.... 2017 turned Pro and did my Pro debut (2nd place)... 2018 did a few including the NY Pro (got SMOKED)... 2019 i took off as i couldnt get my mind where it needed to be... turned 50 last month and have Pittsburgh Masters circled on my calendar... thinking "ok this will be my last year" and THAT would be my driving force..... but im thinking "why?.. what for?".."wheres the return?".. There is no lucrative money in Masters and in Opens i dont have a prayer... So wtf???...Even if I WIN, i lose with expenses etc etc... They say you have to "find balance" but to compete and DO WELL (ESPECIALLY as a Pro) you cant have balance.... you have to give it your all towards competing.... am i willing to do that NOW at 50?? im not so sure anymore.... theres TONS that one needs to weigh out... Im a single guy and have found THEE love of my life.. and even though she supports the competing, i don't want her to see that grumpy ass HANGRY side of me when i get deep in prep... the sex is outta this world and am also concerned the drugs i need to take will affect my libido/erections.... so its quite the conundrum...like BIO stated above ITS ALL PERSONAL .....i still dont know what the fuck to do...
you took the words out of my mouth.. bodybuilding is a life style and is very enjoyable, defiantly a fun sport. competing on the other hand is very selfish and self absorbing. To get to that level, it has to become all about you; you have to go through hell and back to achieve that crisp conditioning and everyone suffers AND that what takes the fun out of it..

you took the words out of my mouth.. bodybuilding is a life style and is very enjoyable, defiantly a fun sport. competing on the other hand is very selfish and self absorbing. To get to that level, it has to become all about you; you have to go through hell and back to achieve that crisp conditioning and everyone suffers AND that what takes the fun out of it..

Agreed 1000%... The higher level you get to it seems like the more you have to sacrifice...this fuckin shit aint free... AND like Maldorf stated earlier... ALSO putting health at risk having to get pretty aggressive with drugs as well..... keep playing with fire and at some point... we all get burned....

Is competing worth it? Hell no it's not, destroying your body and making yourself look like a walking freak show for a plastic trophy is ridiculously silly, childlike stupid.

That being said i wrestled in college, gave my entire life to the sport also destroyed my body and sacrificed things I'll never get back while knowing it had no future. Was that worth? Hell no it wasn't but I did it anyway because I loved it, wish I had played anything else looking back on it but I didn't.....

But that also being said I was in my teens, thinking of doing that now at 35 devoting myself to something with no future and horrible consequences seems incredibly irresponsible even unthinkable.

But you can't tell someone how to live and what they should or shouldn't love. If you're asking me I would tell you being a bodybuilder is a completely fruitless endeavor, almost laughable that it's so fruitless, but I'm not that person and it doesn't matter what I think in regards to what someone else thinks.

I'll say this, I know what it takes to be a good wrestler and I'm sure you know what it takes to be a good bodybuilder they are both sports that demand you give everything to succeed. You can't do it half way and the mental aspect is just as important as the physical, if you're having doubts it's probably because you know it's time to quit. You did something 99.9% of the population can only dream about doing, moving on doesn't mean you lost.

I agree, if you love it, fucking live it. If you don't, you're always regret the time you never quite went through with it. If it's in you, do it, use your head and have no regrets...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws