YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is competitive bodybuilding a dying sport and if so why?

Getnbiggger

Featured Member
Featured Member
Registered
So I was at the NPC Sacramento this weekend as part of my coaching of my client for the open light heavyweight BB'ing division. There were a total of about 4 guys in each class, with only one light heavy, one heavy (my client who did not make weight) and one superheavy. I can remember, back in the day, the Sac was one of the biggest NPC shows of the year especially since it was two weeks before Nationals and was many guys last chance to qualify for Nationals. There used to be 20+ guys in each class, if not more, and the condition and size these guys brought to the stage was incredible. I witnessed the same low amount of BB'ing competitors at the SF BB'ing championship two weeks ago. Is amateur competitive Bodybuilding dying and if so why?

Clearly the number of classic physique and physique competitors has increased dramatically and maybe that is one reason but its a shame that we may be witnessing the death of amateur bodybuilding....

Last edited:
yes! I think there are several reasons but todays bodybuilder, doesnt have the eye appeal that the bodybuilders of the 70's-90's did. They are too extreme now which is pushing away the average fan. This is why the physique and classic divisions are getting so popular. The average gym rat can see himself in those people. Its just a really nice ripped beach body which appeals to regular people. The huge slin guts and the monsters that you see now, are pushing away fans.

So I was at the NPC Sacramento this weekend as part of my coaching of my client for the open light heavyweight BB'ing division. There were a total of about 4 guys in each class, with only one light heavy, one heavy (my client who did not make weight) and one superheavy. I can remember, back in the day, the Sac was one of the biggest NPC shows of the year especially since it was two weeks before Nationals and was many guys last chance to qualify for Nationals. There used to be 20+ guys in each class, if not more, and the condition and size these guys brought to the stage was incredible. I witnessed the same low amount of BB'ing competitors two weeks ago at the SF BB'ing championship two weeks ago. Is amateur competitive Bodybuilding dying and if so why?

Clearly the number of classic physique and physique competitors has increased dramatically and maybe that is one reason but it shames a shame that we may be witnessing the death of amateur bodybuilding....
I think the open class is beginning a slow decline. I think there willl always be a subset of people that want to see freaks. And those people will be considered weirdos.
Bodybuilding will survive though clsssic and physique.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

probably declining cuz it don't pay $$$ for shit lmao

3rd place 212 Olympia got LESS than 3rd place bikini Olympia

they got like $10 :eek:

probably declining cuz it don't pay $$$ for shit lmao

3rd place 212 Olympia got LESS than 3rd place bikini Olympia

they got like $10 :eek:

True but the open guys also get paid loads more than classic physique for example. Most of the divisions get paid crap. I think bodybuilding is getting bigger and bigger. Now open bodybuilding as in the big guys is dying. It will always have a fanbase but I see a slow decline over the next few decades. Classic physique and physique will definitely take over. They are already more popular but I mean they will start being the headline shows but not for many years.

Right now guys who couldn't make it in open bodybuilding are going down to classic physique. It's the much easier option in many ways. Plus the young people of today all want to be ripped and look good but not be mass monsters. There will always be guys who want to be huge though so it will never die but it's definitely on the decline. Who can blame a 16 year old watching the O and wanting to look like Chris Bumstead over the likes of Phil or Roelly. The freaks are good to watch but even I think the distention etc now is ridiculous and I am bodybuilding through and through. But to me classic physique is the perfect mix of bodybuilding and aesthetics.

Bodybuilding is healthy in many countries, but in the US it is in decline.

Many reasons: Shits prizes for all except the MO, corrupt judges, NPC creating shit divisions, NPC and promoters only moved by profit at all costs, too much emphasis on the condition, children who only want the pro card no matter where they compete, little passion for the effort.

You talk about the waist and unattractiveness of the guys in the open. If you have Cedric or Curry as an MO, things would not be different? Those guys look infinitely better than the classic ones.

Let’s be real here....

Because as a sport it’s fucking garbage... There’s no money unless you use it in a social media/entertainment aspect...

I’d consider it more as a hobby with a certain community.

But as a sport? Lol comical.

I’d rather dip my eyes in acid than watch a bodybuilding show..

Longevity, health, training, entertainment, education etc... You can implement bodybuilding in all these and create a life/income and still do what you love, I’m not knocking it as a whole. Only as a sport..

Let’s be real here....

Because as a sport it’s fucking garbage... There’s no money unless you use it in a social media/entertainment aspect...

I’d consider it more as a hobby with a certain community.

But as a sport? Lol comical.

I’d rather dip my eyes in acid than watch a bodybuilding show..

Longevity, health, training, entertainment, education etc... You can implement bodybuilding in all these and create a life/income and still do what you love, I’m not knocking it as a whole. Only as a sport..

You hit the nail on the head.....the shows are too boring for everyone except hard-core fans....I used to take my girl friends to shows but started just going alone because it just doesn't appeal to most regular people.

People will always go to the top shows because thats where the true freaks are but the amateur shows are getting pretty bad....the last couple I went to there was only about 3 guys in each division so no matter what everyone was coming in top 3 lol.....the amount of bikini girls is staggering though, that part of the show just takes forever with what seems like hundreds of girls

It's as underground as it's always been. Even during Arnold's era, it was a cult thing, never been mainstream.

And most guys didn't make all that money back then either.

Bodybuilding is not dying. It's changing and diversifying, but it will stay.

You hit the nail on the head.....the shows are too boring for everyone except hard-core fans....I used to take my girl friends to shows but started just going alone because it just doesn't appeal to most regular people.

People will always go to the top shows because thats where the true freaks are but the amateur shows are getting pretty bad....the last couple I went to there was only about 3 guys in each division so no matter what everyone was coming in top 3 lol.....the amount of bikini girls is staggering though, that part of the show just takes forever with what seems like hundreds of girls

Agree 100%

Seems the only fans in attendance these days are friends and family members of the competitors.

As far as the competitors themselves? I don't think today's generation wants to put in the time and work to be a bodybuilder.

It's quicker to be competitive in MPD or even Classic.

It is no surprise that the physique classes are dominating in numbers, its the much more streamline look blah blah blah...

I am almost wondering though, if it is also a function of the amount of shows there are today now? I would dare say the development requisites are a bit higher now days to compete now days as well. I could see those 3 factors (popularity, show frequency and time to develop) really washing out a lot of the entry loads.

This has been a topic of conversation for 6-7 years now. I think it is dying but slowly. LS mentioned they aren't getting paid much, and that's a huge reason why. If there was a real financial reward for doing it, we would have a hell of a lot more large bodybuilders in the world. With more and more people now aware of the health ramifications, it's only going to get worse.

I think another overlooked aspect is that a lot of guys don’t want to look like that anymore, most don’t want to even look like the old school guys let alone the freaks we see now. It’s changed from wanting to be big to wanting to be fit (ie have the body of little boy to fit into fruity skinny jeans).

The environment has changed, not even bodybuilding fans want to go to the fans, so what? To see all those delusional kids of youtube and a lot of streapers on stage?

I think it is declining because it may be that people do not want to do the work for years to progress up the ladder. It is assumed that any one big is on drugs. And that is the short cut that you have to do. We are an instant society, we want size, money, fame etc. and we want it now. And do not want to work to get it. So the other divisions can get them where they want to be in much less time. I figure everything is a life long process and we never get to the top, but that works for me.

Look at all the bodybuilders who used to compete who now do not. Why? It doesn’t pay what being a social media celebrity does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a bodybuilder has never paid any money for the vast majority of ametuers or professionals that have competed or not. Yet their used to be many that tried and competed.

Around the globe: no.

In the US: yes.

Infact I think BBing is more popular than it ever was around the world.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws