over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is GH Anabolic?

IronLion2

Banned
This article does very well to separate the use of GH for deficiency in clinical setting vs it's potential for use as a PED

Are scientists and doctors using too little hGH to see the effects that athletes achieve by using large doses? This is of course a possibility; by analogy, it was many years before scientists and doctors accepted that the anabolic effects of testosterone and its analogues were real—see, for example, the careful work of Forbes.65 Nevertheless, in my view the possibility is slight. Anecdotal evidence suggests that many hGH abusers, especially those taking the hormone without medical supervision, do inject supratherapeutic doses. However, in most of the studies in the literature, effects of hGH were also studied at greater than the therapeutic dose, and although these may well have been below the dosages used by abusers, they still resulted in serum concentrations of GH and IGF-I that were 3–6 times normal55,56 and that resulted in pronounced biological effects, such as increased lipolysis, altered carbohydrate metabolism, activation of the renin-angiotensin system, and water retention. It is difficult to believe that, even for effects that are not IGF-I mediated (such as the lipolytic effects), muscle tissue is IGF-I resistant to this extent.

Furthermore, when extremely large therapeutic doses of rhGH are used—for example, in the attempted treatment of wasting in HIV/AIDS—it appears to be much easier to induce diabetic symptoms than retention or recovery of lean body mass.29,66 This, of course, may be a feature of a GH resistant syndrome, but it is odd that there is such a separation between biological effects of the same substance.

Nevertheless, it is relatively easy to see effects of other biological agents that do have effects on muscle protein turnover at blood concentrations that are observed biologically, and without using massive pharmacological doses. For example, insulin has substantial effects on protein synthesis and breakdown in muscle67–69 at concentrations seen after meals. As a further illustration, a modest rise in blood amino acids such as is seen after feeding causes a near doubling of muscle protein synthesis.67,69 Why should a dose of rhGH, which can more than double serum IGF-I and cause considerable effects on body water, fat free mass, and nitrogen balance,50,51,56 be insufficient to have an effect through IGF-I on muscle protein metabolism? It would, arguably, be a very unbiological pattern of behaviour.

Does the increased nitrogen retention often reported to be observed with rhGH administration50 not argue for an effect on muscle, the largest component of the lean body mass? Not necessarily. Apart from anabolic effects in viscera and skin,70,71 rhGH has been reported to have anabolic effects on collagen metabolism,20,72 and even when bone is excluded from measurements of lean body mass using dual x ray absorptiometry, the epimysial, endomysial, and perimysial collagenous components of skeletal muscle and connective tissue elements of skin may all show up as new lean body mass. A modest increase in skin, visceral protein and tissue (including muscle) collagen would translate into a sizeable positive nitrogen balance.

Such an effect on connective tissue in muscle would make the muscle no more capable of force generation but may promote resistance to injury or faster repair, which would be an advantage to an athlete. This may explain the anecdotally reported predilection of baseball players for abuse of testosterone and rhGH together. Unfortunately this possible synergism has never been studied under control circumstances in young men. Certainly co-administration of testosterone and rhGH has only a minor effect on strength in elderly men.61

If there were a threshold in the supraphysiological range for an anabolic effect of rhGH on muscle, it would be expected that patients with acromegaly would show true muscle hypertrophy. In fact, the lack of appreciably greater muscle mass per height as well as associated pathological changes (see later) argues against this idea. This is reinforced by the finding that transgenic mice overexpressing GH show no relative increase in muscle mass as a fraction of total body weight, and what muscle they have develops less force than expected on a weight basis.73

Thus, the balance of evidence seems to be heavily against an anabolic effect of rhGH on human muscle. It may seem that the only way to settle the question in the minds of champions of the use of rhGH is to carry out a dose-response study with large amounts of the hormone. This is easier said than done: we need to discover what amounts abusing athletes inject (it will always be easy to say that what was used was insufficient) to target an appropriate dose range while staying within normal ethical limits given the cardiovascular and metabolic hazards involved.

THE DOWNSIDE OF rhGH ABUSE
The acute administration of rhGH may have appreciably detrimental effects on performance. In fact, there is good evidence that acute administration of rhGH actually results in a decrease in exercise performance according to recent results obtained by Dr Kai Lange of the Danish Institute of Sports Medicine (personal communication). In these studies, healthy endurance trained athletes were unable to complete accustomed cycling tasks after administration of exogenous hGH. There is good evidence that hGH administration exacerbates the pronounced increase in lipolysis that occurs during exercise and, in addition, increases the production of lactate and protons by working muscles. The inevitable metabolic acidaemia and consequent reduction in the rate of glycogenolysis in muscle and liver could explain the acutely decreased performance. Furthermore, because of the effect of rhGH in decreasing glycogen storage in muscle and liver, it will make recovery from exercise more difficult. However, a bigger danger is probably the unphysiologically high fatty acidaemia, which could promote cardiac arrhythmia.

Chronic rhGH abuse is more dangerous. As most athletes are likely to be using suprapharmacological amounts, the correct model in which to look for such deleterious effects is not the adult GH deficient patient given replacement therapy, but patients suffering from acromegaly—that is, with an excess of GH secretion, often 100 times normal. These patients have poor exercise tolerance, which improves after treatment to decrease GH secretion.74 However, they show little evidence of true muscle hypertrophy in terms of creatinine to height ratios or muscle cross sectional areas, but often exhibit a number of myopathic features such as increased plasma creatine kinase, raised type 2 to type 1 muscle fibre areas, type 2 fibre atrophy, and myofilament loss as well as myopathic electrophysiological changes.75 Furthermore, patients with acromegaly have considerably increased rates of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, abnormal lipid metabolism, osteoarthritis, and breast and colorectal cancer.63 The concentrations of free fatty acids stimulated by exercise in these patients76 is in the range suggested by Opie77 to be a possible cause of sudden death from arrhythmia.

TL; DR GH likely effects anabolism minimally, even at high doses primarily through nitrogen retention rather than IGF pathways. While it can aid in body composition it fails to be the end all be all some want it to be.

Thanks for posting we’ve been saying this here on PM for years now, GH doesn’t build muscle it’s best for recovery, prevention and aesthetics.

It's been discussed everywhere, usually in pure anecdote, leaving room for debate.

Did you see the thread? I discuss there not only the study you posted above, but also several others.

I read to you and hilly then stopped, didn't see the study but I didn't post it because it's new or ground breaking.

Generally posted because it argues the differences in GH defficent patients seeing Anabolic effects vs healthy adults using to supplement endogenous production. But more importantly that high dose GH shows potential for determent to performance.

"In these studies, healthy endurance trained athletes were unable to complete accustomed cycling tasks after administration of exogenous hGH. There is good evidence that hGH administration exacerbates the pronounced increase in lipolysis that occurs during exercise and, in addition, increases the production of lactate and protons by working muscles. The inevitable metabolic acidaemia and consequent reduction in the rate of glycogenolysis in muscle and liver could explain the acutely decreased performance. Furthermore, because of the effect of rhGH in decreasing glycogen storage in muscle and liver, it will make recovery from exercise more difficult. However, a bigger danger is probably the unphysiologically high fatty acidaemia, which could promote cardiac arrhythmia."

Thanks for posting we’ve been saying this here on PM for years now, GH doesn’t build muscle it’s best for recovery, prevention and aesthetics.

prevention for what if i may ask?

I don't know. I do know that when all the stuff was falling out the back of Eli Lilly in the late 80s one of the guys many of you may know from the north east, a top 6 at nationals for about 7 years, got hold of some and went from a lean hard 8% BF 235 to about 270 at what looked like absolutely peeled in about 6 months.This was a guy that had maxed out on AAS years ago. Too bad he got messed up shortly after and didn't compete again. Shit was insane to watch. Every now and then I see it happen out of many dozen guys that use it. I don't know WTF is the secret incantation or special genotype but it exists and it's not that common no matter what GH15 says.

I don't know. I do know that when all the stuff was falling out the back of Eli Lilly in the late 80s one of the guys many of you may know from the north east, a top 6 at nationals for about 7 years, got hold of some and went from a lean hard 8% BF 235 to about 270 at what looked like absolutely peeled in about 6 months.This was a guy that had maxed out on AAS years ago. Too bad he got messed up shortly after and didn't compete again. Shit was insane to watch. Every now and then I see it happen out of many dozen guys that use it. I don't know WTF is the secret incantation or special genotype but it exists and it's not that common no matter what GH15 says.
i think what gh does is it allows you to lose fat and build muscle at the same time
it definitely made the biggest difference I've seen
i could use fairly low doses of gear with gh and id get WAY better results than high dose gear

i could use fairly low doses of gear with gh and id get WAY better results than high dose gear
that's the trick I think, and why people with acromegaly don't have big huge muscles. They aren't taking steroids at all. GH in high doses is not healthy, but is it more unhealthy than larger doses of steroids? I guess when you get down to it, large doses of just about any PED is unhealthy and can be a big health risk. Hopefully guys realize the dangers they put themselves in when they do it.

that's the trick I think, and why people with acromegaly don't have big huge muscles. They aren't taking steroids at all. GH in high doses is not healthy, but is it more unhealthy than larger doses of steroids? I guess when you get down to it, large doses of just about any PED is unhealthy and can be a big health risk. Hopefully guys realize the dangers they put themselves in when they do it.

i think there's more to acromegaly not building tons of muscle than just not using steroids
one being the insulin resistance from gh
id imagine having tons of gh being released at all times causes insulin to eventually stop working which means you wouldn't be able to build muscle effectively or burn fat

also in studies, when you take gh continuously (non stop) igf-1 levels don't increase, it seems there has to be a drop of gh and then a subsequent rise in gh
i feel like this is how most drugs work, which may be why people find trenbolone acetate works better
also the leucine intake effect on mTor works the same

Here's what I know from my experience with GH. I only used it once to prep for my very last competition and it allowed me to gain four pounds of lean mass on top of the anabolics I had been running at that time. THe shit works to grow muscle, end of story!

Here's what I know from my experience with GH. I only used it once to prep for my very last competition and it allowed me to gain four pounds of lean mass on top of the anabolics I had been running at that time. THe shit works to grow muscle, end of story!

Could be, but end of story??? Nah

"Apart from anabolic effects in viscera and skin,70,71 rhGH has been reported to have anabolic effects on collagen metabolism,20,72 and even when bone is excluded from measurements of lean body mass using dual x ray absorptiometry, the epimysial, endomysial, and perimysial collagenous components of skeletal muscle and connective tissue elements of skin may all show up as new lean body mass. A modest increase in skin, visceral protein and tissue (including muscle) collagen would translate into a sizeable positive nitrogen balance.

I’ve never had the pleasure yet and I believe what you say but some ppl will say there could’ve been a lot at play for those four pounds but you seem to be the type of guy to understand what’s going on he’ll you compete I’m sure you know how much every ounce of tissue is worth what I’d like to know is did you feel better? Also if so how? Were your joints better? Could you eat more without fear of spilling over? These are what interests me especially from someone who used it for a show.

I’ve never had the pleasure yet and I believe what you say but some ppl will say there could’ve been a lot at play for those four pounds but you seem to be the type of guy to understand what’s going on he’ll you compete I’m sure you know how much every ounce of tissue is worth what I’d like to know is did you feel better? Also if so how? Were your joints better? Could you eat more without fear of spilling over? These are what interests me especially from someone who used it for a show.
Yes I did feel better, in that I had more strength in the gym and more energy throughout that prep as compared to other preps that were similar in makeup but without GH. As for my joints, I've been fortunate enough to not have any joint issues so I don't want to respond to that with a yes or no because that would be disingenuous. And yes, I was able to eat more; about 500 more calories per day on my last prep while still leaning out after I introduced the GH. As far as people saying that there could have been a lot at play, that is a very easy thing to say but nearly impossible to prove unless you are the one prepping for the show, as you or in this case me is the only one who knows what other factors are being controlled for. :cool:

Could be, but end of story??? Nah

"Apart from anabolic effects in viscera and skin,70,71 rhGH has been reported to have anabolic effects on collagen metabolism,20,72 and even when bone is excluded from measurements of lean body mass using dual x ray absorptiometry, the epimysial, endomysial, and perimysial collagenous components of skeletal muscle and connective tissue elements of skin may all show up as new lean body mass. A modest increase in skin, visceral protein and tissue (including muscle) collagen would translate into a sizeable positive nitrogen balance.
THis may or may not be true. But even if it is it would not account for all of the lean mass gain that I experienced. If some of my lean mass was comprised of collagen in my connective tissues, skin, and bone growth, the remainder would have to be muscle tissue. Being that this particular prep was identical in every way to my previous three preps with the exception of GH inclusion I have every reason to be certain that a significant portion of the lean mass gain was comprised of skeletal muscle growth. What I can't say for sure is wether this was hypertrophy or hyperplasia although I lean towards hyperplasia as I have retained that gained lean mass for several years after my GH use with minimal AAS usage. Additionally I don't know how much of my lean mass was made up of bone, collagen, and skin before GH use so it would be impossible to determine with any accuracy how much more of those element were gained after the fact. The same can be said of skeletal muscle as well.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws