YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is it possible to build a complete physique without machines or cables?

JJT

Registered
Newbies
All these on and off lockdown has me wondering is it possible to build a complete physique without machines or cables? Just Barbell and Dumbells movements..

YES! But you’ll need a chin up bar to build the lats!

I was thinking more along the lines of leg training. Like leg extensions, leg press, specially leg curl variations

There are many variables of squats, plus hip lifts and lunges.

You do not need machines or cables, although you may need a bit of imagination or spend some time on YouTube watching videos of trainings in garage basements.

Of course, you need a power cage, a bench, and some serious weight.

There are many variables of squats, plus hip lifts and lunges.

You do not need machines or cables, although you may need a bit of imagination or spend some time on YouTube watching videos of trainings in garage basements.

Of course, you need a power cage, a bench, and some serious weight.

Can you suggest some hamstring excercises? Besides SLDL?

I was thinking more along the lines of leg training. Like leg extensions, leg press, specially leg curl variations
Of course it is. You need not look any further than many Olympic weightlifters. In addition to the competition lifts, they're squatting or front squatting and often include some kind of pull variation (sometimes Romanians) in every workout unless injured. Many of them have excellent leg development and some even have great back development (as you would imagine from all of the pulling). In terms of physique you won't find many with good arm development for obvious reasons and even fewer with pectoral development but pretty much everything else is there and they're pretty much working exclusively with barbells.

examples: Ivan Stoitsev, Lu Xioajun, and Dmitry Klokov

Of course it is. You need not look any further than many Olympic weightlifters. In addition to the competition lifts, they're squatting or front squatting and often include some kind of pull variation (sometimes Romanians) in every workout unless injured. Many of them have excellent leg development and some even have great back development (as you would imagine from all of the pulling). In terms of physique you won't find many with good arm development for obvious reasons and even fewer with pectoral development but pretty much everything else is there and they're pretty much working exclusively with barbells.

examples: Ivan Stoitsev, Lu Xioajun, and Dmitry Klokov

Well using elite lifters as an example is like chicken or the egg question all over again... Are they good at their craft because of those genetically driven msucular traits or did the develop those muscles using the training as you mentioned :unsure:

In addition to the squat and lunge variants that will work your hams:

Russian leg curls
Glute Bridges
Reverse hypers
Pull through with bands

Reactions: JJT
Man, take a look at golden era powerlifters.

Some dudes like Doug young proved that it's possible.

Hell, some didn't even do chins!! Just rows everytime they worked out.

I stopped doing chins/pulldowns a few months back and haven't noticed a difference...yet

In Iraq I would do laying leg curls with the a dumbbells held between my feet. It helps to have somebody place it there but you can situate it by oneself without much issue.
I actually grew to like doing them this way. Quite difficult to go heavy but you can really feeling the hamstrings burn while performing the reps slow and steady.

Well using elite lifters as an example is like chicken or the egg question all over again... Are they good at their craft because of those genetically driven msucular traits or did the develop those muscles using the training as you mentioned :unsure:
Well, they are recruited at a fairly young age after displaying physical prowess in things such as ability to jump high. This is before any formal competition. However, the training does develop their lower bodies to an incredible level and you can bet that muscle would not have been built without that training. With that being said, not every elite weightlifter has huge legs. Most do, or at least they have fairly muscular legs, but not all so i tend to believe that it was due to their training but even then not all have insane leg development. You can't pigeonhole all lifters with one example but again, Dmitry Klokov is a good example. Look at pics of his from when he was a Junior or even early into his Senior career. Now, if we're talking about explosive strength, that probably was present before they ever touched a weight being that many, if not all elite lifters are blessed with a ridiculous amount of fast twitch muscle fiber.

Reactions: JJT
Man, take a look at golden era powerlifters.

Some dudes like Doug young proved that it's possible.

Hell, some didn't even do chins!! Just rows everytime they worked out.

I stopped doing chins/pulldowns a few months back and haven't noticed a difference...yet
I recall reading that Capt. Kirk only did Squats, DL, a shrug variation, barbell curls in addition to bench work and he had an incredible physique. Doug Furnas (RIP) was another guy who i believe only did the competition lifts and at a very low frequency. Guy had massive legs.

I train exclusively from home now , made my house into a gym cause of fucking corona

In begining i had only rack+weights+dumbells+barbell+adjustable bench+dip+chin

I didnt like training legs in this setup , i dont believe in the squat for bodybuilding purposes so squat+romanian DL wasnt cuting it

Then i added hamstring dumbell curls , GHR and sissy squat .... with this setup i could get great leg workouts by doing :
Front squat bb , dumbell bulgarian split squat , sissy squat , hamstring db curls , GHR , romanina DL

That being said i still went on and bought leg extension, leg curl and leg press / hack squat combo and now i LOVE training legs again

For me leg extension+leg curl+ leg press+ hack squat + romanian dl is the best workout for legs

Save up imo and get what you like , its worth it

This below is the sissy squat and is FUCKING KILLER PUMP

1609585705507.jpeg

I recall reading that Capt. Kirk only did Squats, DL, a shrug variation, barbell curls in addition to bench work and he had an incredible physique. Doug Furnas (RIP) was another guy who i believe only did the competition lifts and at a very low frequency. Guy had massive legs.
Exactly! People these days put in too much variation, me included!

I noticed huge noticeable improvement when I narrowed my exercise choices and chose to focus on the stuff that works better for me.

I’ve had a home gym for years. Power rack, plates, bars, few different handles for doing rowing movements, bands etc. just the basic stuff

If you have a power rack or high beam you can make yourself the cheapest pulley going that’s bomb proof. Check you tube there’s loads of videos. I made one years back for push downs and stiff arm pull downs. Cost me about £15 or $20

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws