YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is it possible to have decent legs w/o doing squats regularly?

Still only a partial range of motion doing those as well. I have done them on and off over the last 30+ years and never saw any real gains. And the uneven loading of the spine with doing 1 legged presses or squats with any real weight leaves me to think it raises the risk of spine trouble over the years.
I think deads done right with reasonable weight protects the back and abdomen, I only do weight I can do 10-12 reps on so even if that’s sets with 405 it’s still comfortable same days at the end of a long back run it’s 225 lbs but my form is always perfect and I have fun doing them. I’ve seen a lot of guys who dropped the compound movements and that’s when the injuries started coming

2 weeks ago i saw an ortho about an issue and when i mentioned my bad back as i have disc issues, that cause no pain. He laughed and said my vertebra are in better shape then 99% of guys my age. As my spine shows some one who has lifted weights their whole life and ate healthy. as the muscles and abs are strong an do all the work. And he would like to send all his other 60 year old patients to me to show them what to do. I agree that doing work that requires the body to do things synergistically as opposed to just training individual muscles makes a difference.

Oh, and i am 6'4" so my legs are probably longer than a lot of y'alls. I still used to have pretty good size packed on them and am determined to do so again

fkn so hard when you are that tall.

Best thing for me was squats and heavy leg press. Now days at my age with my lower back and knees I can't do either. My legs are so shit now.

20230318_103021.jpg short on time w kids' sports today but i had to try it, arrived last night. Abt to finish 8th set of 20 reps, took abt twenty mins, my quads are screaming. Yes! The traction on my low back actually feels kinda of good. I need to figure out a fuller ROM (blocks maybe but could be sketchy). I can already appreciate the engineering brilliance of the sorinex j*squat. I'm gonna end up buying that. This set-up w belt was like ~$170
I can't believe i had never done belt squats

View attachment 172710short on time w kids' sports today but i had to try it, arrived last night. Abt to finish 8th set of 20 reps, took abt twenty mins, my quads are screaming. Yes! The traction on my low back actua, gotlly feels kinda of good. I need to figure out a fuller ROM (blocks maybe but could be sketchy). I can already appreciate the engineering brilliance of the sorinex j*squat. I'm gonna end up buying that. This set-up w belt was like ~$170
Went for broke on 8th set got 32 reps before failure, legs almost gave out when i unclipped and stood up. FUCK YEAH

2 weeks ago i saw an ortho about an issue and when i mentioned my bad back as i have disc issues, that cause no pain. He laughed and said my vertebra are in better shape then 99% of guys my age. As my spine shows some one who has lifted weights their whole life and ate healthy. as the muscles and abs are strong an do all the work. And he would like to send all his other 60 year old patients to me to show them what to do. I agree that doing work that requires the body to do things synergistically as opposed to just training individual muscles makes a difference.
How do you know you have disc issues if you have no pain are they just compressed but if they are how did you figure it out

How do you know you have disc issues if you have no pain are they just compressed but if they are how did you figure it out
I have had a couple MRI's and at least a couple CT scans over the years. Every disc i have had MRI'd from the lower thoracic region into the sacroiliac is bulged or herniated except one just has a flat side on it. And it appears they have all degenerated. Which explains some of the reason i am about 1.5 inches shorter then i used to be. But some of that would be cartilage worn out in my knees and hips.

I have had a couple MRI's and at least a couple CT scans over the years. Every disc i have had MRI'd from the lower thoracic region into the sacroiliac is bulged or herniated except one just has a flat side on it. And it appears they have all degenerated. Which explains some of the reason i am about 1.5 inches shorter then i used to be. But some of that would be cartilage worn out in my knees and hips.
Damn 1 1/2 inches shorter I guess that would be a clear indicator does degenerative stuff run in your family?

My simple short answer is YES, 110%.
No if's no but's.

Still only a partial range of motion doing those as well. I have done them on and off over the last 30+ years and never saw any real gains. And the uneven loading of the spine with doing 1 legged presses or squats with any real weight leaves me to think it raises the risk of spine trouble over the years.
Keep in mind that one-legged leg presses should be performed like a lunge to prevent hurting your back. The working leg up higher and the non-working leg with foot placed low on platform to prevent twisting of the hips. This works the glutes a lot more than the quads.

I have done those for years mostly with little results. And do not think they do near as much as a full range of motion. Range is still very limited in that position. RDL's and such are much more effective from my experience.
I have found stationary reverse lunges while holding a dumbbell in one arm and holding onto something with other arm for stabilization—to be the best glute exercise of all. It also works the upper hamstrings and quadriceps to a lesser degree. It’s less compression on the spine than both squats and leg presses—and especially any form of dead lifts. Lunges and leg extensions is all you need for the quads. Don’t do lying leg curls as they also compress the spinal discs in lower back.

View attachment 172710short on time w kids' sports today but i had to try it, arrived last night. Abt to finish 8th set of 20 reps, took abt twenty mins, my quads are screaming. Yes! The traction on my low back actually feels kinda of good. I need to figure out a fuller ROM (blocks maybe but could be sketchy). I can already appreciate the engineering brilliance of the sorinex j*squat. I'm gonna end up buying that. This set-up w belt was like ~$170
A couple of wide breeze blocks will be a flat level safe option to increase range of motion.

I think deads done right with reasonable weight protects the back and abdomen, I only do weight I can do 10-12 reps on so even if that’s sets with 405 it’s still comfortable same days at the end of a long back run it’s 225 lbs but my form is always perfect and I have fun doing them. I’ve seen a lot of guys who dropped the compound movements and that’s when the injuries started coming
Deadlifts accelerate disc degeneration if the discs are already deteriorating. It’s the heavy compound leg movements that put Ronnie Coleman in a wheelchair.

Yes…you can have a great set of legs without doing squats.

View attachment 172710short on time w kids' sports today but i had to try it, arrived last night. Abt to finish 8th set of 20 reps, took abt twenty mins, my quads are screaming. Yes! The traction on my low back actually feels kinda of good. I need to figure out a fuller ROM (blocks maybe but could be sketchy). I can already appreciate the engineering brilliance of the sorinex j*squat. I'm gonna end up buying that. This set-up w belt was like ~$170
Told ya! Yeah I bought 3 or 4 cheap attachments for belt squats since I didn’t have the room for a full machine. Off brand ones were so-so… The elite fts one was so-so as well… By far and away the Sorinex model was the best. I believe the weight your lift equals 60% of what you have loaded on the posts..

That’s why I tried to get you to go for the best from the start… But I totally get it. It’s a pricey piece, but well engineered. I still skimped out and made my own.

I stand up on Rogue’s ballistic blocks. Each block weighs damn near 100lbs so they don’t move easily. This allowed me to go alllll the way ass to calf’s for an extreme burn. I do wear compression knee sleeves though for stability!

Cage

Told ya! Yeah I bought 3 or 4 cheap attachments for belt squats since I didn’t have the room for a full machine. Off brand ones were so-so… The elite fts one was so-so as well… By far and away the Sorinex model was the best. I believe the weight your lift equals 60% of what you have loaded on the posts..

That’s why I tried to get you to go for the best from the start… But I totally get it. It’s a pricey piece, but well engineered. I still skimped out and made my own.

I stand up on Rogue’s ballistic blocks. Each block weighs damn near 100lbs so they don’t move easily. This allowed me to go alllll the way ass to calf’s for an extreme burn. I do wear compression knee sleeves though for stability!

Cage
Yeah, man thanks for sharing that j*squat w me. I've already sent it on to some of my old lifting buddies.
I wanted to make sure it was all good w my back before i got the j*squat but another factore is the lead time w them, like 2 mos to get one! I've still gotta measure the holes on my rack too to see if their attachment fits or if i need to fab one up

Yeah, man thanks for sharing that j*squat w me. I've already sent it on to some of my old lifting buddies.
I wanted to make sure it was all good w my back before i got the j*squat but another factore is the lead time w them, like 2 mos to get one! I've still gotta measure the holes on my rack too to see if their attachment fits or if i need to fab one up
I had to purchase a mag drill to get the attachment set perfectly on my rack. I also had to make swiveling attachment because other equipment of mine were in the way.

If you end up getting a mag drill; you won’t go wrong with the Evolution brand one. Did a lot of research on em first. I bought it simply for drilling my rack, but used it many times afterwards for other projects. Much easier to get the holes lined up perfectly versus a hand drill.

Cage

Damn 1 1/2 inches shorter I guess that would be a clear indicator does degenerative stuff run in your family?
No it does not. I am sure that is just from wear and tear. Being active 6+ days week for going on 50 years takes it's toll. Weight lifting is just one of my activities but the one i put the most time into. Back in the mid 70's i was leg pressing in the 700-900 pound range when i was in my mid teens. This weeks leg workout was squatting a few sets in the 300-350 pound range. legs and back were always my strongest body parts.

I have found stationary reverse lunges while holding a dumbbell in one arm and holding onto something with other arm for stabilization—to be the best glute exercise of all. It also works the upper hamstrings and quadriceps to a lesser degree. It’s less compression on the spine than both squats and leg presses—and especially any form of dead lifts. Lunges and leg extensions is all you need for the quads. Don’t do lying leg curls as they also compress the spinal discs in lower back.
I have been liking hip thrusts the last few years. But can't say i have grown any from them. Maybe 20 years ago i could have but these days it is just a game of attrition.

Both Phil Hernon and Dante taught me about optical illusion in bodybuilding, and when it comes to big legs it's all about adductors.
Thanks for the gem b-boy. Never thought of this but makes perfect sense.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws