over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is it time to move on from your job?

JUISEBOY

Registered
I know I'm not the only one in this spot so I have to ask. How do you know when it's time to move on?

I've been with my current employer for 2.5 years and I have been frustrated with it for the last 6 months or so. The company has promoted me a few times and I have been in my present day postion for a year now. I'm just over it as their is a huge gap of communication and support not necessarily from my direct supervisor but many on the executive team. Basically I'm a jawbone and I am supposed to sell all day. In actuality I spend my days dealing with existing clients and dealing with their problems. In fact so much so that I cannot spend time doing what I was hired onto do which is originate business. They too see it as a problem but don't have the means financially or are making the efforts to fix it IMO.

I don't forsee things getting better and I'm not sure what to do as I am married and putting my wife through college at the moment and maybe me rocking the boat wouldn't be the best idea. Should I suck it up and see if it gets better in hopes that time will fly by and my wife graduates in March and hope she lands a job to support us as I decide to look for work? Or should I jump a soon to be sinking ship and abandon those who put their faith in me to turn my territory around and helped get me promoted in my time here?

I don't know I guess I'm loyal to a fault but I am also miserable each day and I know that is not healthy either. It's like I stay for the money or I leave for the sanity.

My apologies for the ramble, just looking for input/insight.

stay for the wife not the money, if your rel is solid that is

Thanks wasp. Yeah I'm just tring to hear some opinions on it as I am unsure what to do. The Mrs. supports me and says maybe its time to jump ship but even with her giving the green light I feel like she is saying it cause she hates seeing me miserable. It would definitly change our life and turbulance can always affect the relationship whether its strong or not.
Thanks again for speaking up.

don't jump the ship without having something lined up before hand. in this economy it will be even harder to get employment with being unemployed. if you are going to do it, use w/e vacation or sick day time u have to go on the interviews. once u made a deal, then adios.

Just keep your eyes open for another opportunity to arise and when you find one go for it. Keep your current job so you don't have to worry about the money, it will help you not feel like you are making a mistake.

If you bail on your job without something better to replace it with and it impacts your wife's schooling there is a good chance she'll hold that against you in a big way.

If you can tough it out until she's out of school and employed, then you'll be in much better shape to make a change.

Don't worry I would never leave a job without another lined up. That is a huge mistake.

I actually feel extremely guilty even testing the waters out in the job market even with being unhappy. I kind of have a brickheaded mentallity of just running into walls until they topple otherwise I completely snap. :banghead:;)

Yeah the wife thing is making me stressed too as I don't want to do anything to jeopardize her education. It would be so much easier if she was already graduated and having a steady income. 7 months should fly by right?

Well at least I'm fortunate to have a job.

Been working at the same job for 20 years. God has blessed me well. And I have managed to save by not speniding a fourtune because benefits are pretty good. If I would have given up years ago my families health and my bank account would have suffered for sure. Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side brother.

Been working at the same job for 20 years. God has blessed me well. And I have managed to save by not speniding a fourtune because benefits are pretty good. If I would have given up years ago my families health and my bank account would have suffered for sure. Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side brother.

Boom are you in a sales job though? I ask cause I feel like sales jobs are quite unique in that you are always under the gun for performance (as you are with any job of course) but with sales its different. I don't get paid to come in everyday, I get paid to close business and am only as good as my last quarter sales. Does that sound understandable?

I have much respect for those who have been with their employer for years. My Dad was with his for 30 something and they just shut down so it sucks for him...but that is a tangent all on its own.

No sir, I work in a hospital. My mother retired after 33 years at the same hospital. Her reason was the same as mine. "Put up with the shit as long as you're getting a pay check and your family is taken care of". Something that was very hard for me to swallow year after year. But I did it. And now my youngest has one more year of college. After that I may send them all to hell.(hospital) But I will have to see how the economy is at that point. That dictates pretty much everyones world. (at least for me)

No sir, I work in a hospital. My mother retired after 33 years at the same hospital. Her reason was the same as mine. "Put up with the shit as long as you're getting a pay check and your family is taken care of". Something that was very hard for me to swallow year after year. But I did it. And now my youngest has one more year of college. After that I may send them all to hell.(hospital) But I will have to see how the economy is at that point. That dictates pretty much everyones world. (at least for me)

Well you deserve a hell of alot of credit for working there that long (as well as tu madre). Funny thing is I sell to hospitals to the likes of your CIO, CNO and DOE for my job, LOL.

I know I'm not the only one in this spot so I have to ask. How do you know when it's time to move on?

I've been with my current employer for 2.5 years and I have been frustrated with it for the last 6 months or so. The company has promoted me a few times and I have been in my present day postion for a year now. I'm just over it as their is a huge gap of communication and support not necessarily from my direct supervisor but many on the executive team. Basically I'm a jawbone and I am supposed to sell all day. In actuality I spend my days dealing with existing clients and dealing with their problems. In fact so much so that I cannot spend time doing what I was hired onto do which is originate business. They too see it as a problem but don't have the means financially or are making the efforts to fix it IMO.

I don't forsee things getting better and I'm not sure what to do as I am married and putting my wife through college at the moment and maybe me rocking the boat wouldn't be the best idea. Should I suck it up and see if it gets better in hopes that time will fly by and my wife graduates in March and hope she lands a job to support us as I decide to look for work? Or should I jump a soon to be sinking ship and abandon those who put their faith in me to turn my territory around and helped get me promoted in my time here?

I don't know I guess I'm loyal to a fault but I am also miserable each day and I know that is not healthy either. It's like I stay for the money or I leave for the sanity.

My apologies for the ramble, just looking for input/insight.

Were you working for the same company when you started dating?Promotions are a part of life.Anybdy who says more money,which should come from promotions doesnt make life easier dont have a clue.Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.Family is the most important thing,but it is a team effort

Hey Bro, If you are going to leave you will be more employable and desirable to future employers if you are still employed. Good companies will take employed people over unemployed these days. For one you look more stable and two hiring managers think, will this guy with no job take any job just to get by until something better comes along? Plus if you are employed you can negotiate a better pay package since its going to take alot for you to just give up all that job security you have at your job now and switch for something uncertain. Get what I'm saying?

Hope this helps.

You will find that if you are being proactive in your goal of finding something which makes you happier, which could be looking for a better job, starting a business on something you're passionate about, etc. that it will improve your mental health while you are still at your current position. Knowing that where you stand is not where you are going gets you thru until another option arises for you. Good luck...

Hey Bro, If you are going to leave you will be more employable and desirable to future employers if you are still employed. Good companies will take employed people over unemployed these days. For one you look more stable and two hiring managers think, will this guy with no job take any job just to get by until something better comes along? Plus if you are employed you can negotiate a better pay package since its going to take alot for you to just give up all that job security you have at your job now and switch for something uncertain. Get what I'm saying?

Hope this helps.

That is a great point. As a matter of fact yesterday I spoke with a Talent Mgr for a company I am looking at and she was happy based on me saying I am still employed which completely aligns what your saying.

You will find that if you are being proactive in your goal of finding something which makes you happier, which could be looking for a better job, starting a business on something you're passionate about, etc. that it will improve your mental health while you are still at your current position. Knowing that where you stand is not where you are going gets you thru until another option arises for you. Good luck...

Thanks and a valid point. I do think it is good to pursue a passion or a new venture that will make me happy. I know regardless at my current job even if my commision checks got larger I would not be happy as the behind the scene frustration within the companies interworkings have contributed to my slow demise there.

I have a couple of opinions on this. First of all, you are totally normal for looking for something else when unhappy. It seems you already know not to leave without having something lined up so that is good. Just remember you may get somewhere else that may at first seem much better, but then it may be more of the same. I have found that the same people are everywhere if that makes sense? If you have a certain person you don't agree with or get a long with, chances are the next place you work will have one just like it.
Also, at least where you are you know people, they must like you somewhat as you have been promoted. I would try to use that to your advantage. Sit down and brainstorm on ways to improve the business and then present those to one of the higher ups. They will appreciate that a lot more than saying something is broken without a solution.

Secondly, with your wife so close to graduating I would stick out for her until she is done. It's only till march bro. Look out for her and she will look out for you. Plus if she is done with school and making money it takes some of the stress of of you. Hell maybe you could go back to school and get out the sales biz.
Anyway, best of luck brother, regardless of what you decide.

Just remember you may get somewhere else that may at first seem much better, but then it may be more of the same. I have found that the same people are everywhere if that makes sense? If you have a certain person you don't agree with or get a long with, chances are the next place you work will have one just like it.
Also, at least where you are you know people, they must like you somewhat as you have been promoted. I would try to use that to your advantage. Sit down and brainstorm on ways to improve the business and then present those to one of the higher ups. They will appreciate that a lot more than saying something is broken without a solution.

Secondly, with your wife so close to graduating I would stick out for her until she is done. It's only till march bro. Look out for her and she will look out for you. Plus if she is done with school and making money it takes some of the stress of of you. Hell maybe you could go back to school and get out the sales biz.
Anyway, best of luck brother, regardless of what you decide.

Yes I am familiar with the grass being greener on the other side theory and by no means do I make decisions like this easy or not thought out heavily. I like to take chances though and never to live with remorse. Sure somethings I have done I'd might want to reconsider but hell its all about the numbers game IMO.

I did make my last 2 promotions by speaking up but I don't forsee me moving up any further unless I yet replace another superior I report too. I work for a small 60 employee company and have no problem talking to the head cheese about my thoughts on anything from pricing, marketing or my simple point of view.

Yeah March will be here before I know it but who knows what the market renders for employment for my wife. She could be looking forever and that just adds onto the waiting game. Before you know it this thread is a year old and I'm still pissed off and stuck. ha. I'm entertaining some options right now and we'll see where those go. Maybe I'll get an offer and then it will be time for some heavy duty decisions. We'll see.

Well thanks everyone for chiming in as it does help me think things out. Sometimes when the only person you have to talk things out with is your wife her/my opinions of things can get skewed...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws