advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is Test keeping many from the sharp conditioning of the "old school" BB?

I think some of it has to do with a whole different approach to dieting.

Think about Jay Cutler. He only looks good once a year, during the Olympia.
The rest of the year he looks like a fat boy.
This is a slight exaggeration, but you get the point. I am a Jay fan. But I think in the quest of adding as much mass to your body as possible, you loose a little naturalness.

Also, there weren't that many different bodybuilders back then. It was probably the guys who were more genetically inclined to look good.
Now a days, just about anybody who can play the chemical game can learn to get big. Not sure if this is true but it sounded good.

take todays popular (and VERY effective) drugs:
-test
-gh
-slin
pick a protocol and take the 3 of these together and that is what has changed the look of bodybuiders today vs that of yesterday. that my best educated guess.
-JS

they photoshopped his nipps out!!!!:confused:

:p

everybody always romanticizes the old guys. yeah the guy in that picture has no "gut" but even the guys who have guts today dont exactly have guts that hang out over their trunks its still ripped its just distended. the conditioning from back then isnt even close. you may prefer the look or the "crispy clear lines" but the guys back then were just smaller. if you took any of those guys in that exact same size and condition they were in then and put them on a national stage theyd look small and soft in comparison much less if you put them next to a phil heath or dexter jackson. its the overrall look thats different not the conditioning.

everybody always romanticizes the old guys. yeah the guy in that picture has no "gut" but even the guys who have guts today dont exactly have guts that hang out over their trunks its still ripped its just distended. the conditioning from back then isnt even close. you may prefer the look or the "crispy clear lines" but the guys back then were just smaller. if you took any of those guys in that exact same size and condition they were in then and put them on a national stage theyd look small and soft in comparison much less if you put them next to a phil heath or dexter jackson. its the overrall look thats different not the conditioning.

Smaller than today I grant you but SOFT!!?? Thants ridiculous does Serge Nubret look soft to you!!?? Check out the pic i posted. I agree that Dex and Phil are at the forefront of modern day conditioning today though

ho hum ho hum bla bla bla bla bla!!

take any older bodybuilder you want, post a pick of that bodybuilder next to a contest ready phil heath and phil will make any of those guys look like a swimmer and phil has deeply etched hamstrings, glutes that look like walnuts, and striated triceps for days, its not even fucking close!!!
:banghead:

:yeahthat:

Agreed! Dexter has some amazing lines as well. The guys of today are much bigger, including the ab and oblique muscles! Much stronger too!

take any older bodybuilder you want, post a pick of that bodybuilder next to a contest ready phil heath and phil will make any of those guys look like a swimmer and phil has deeply etched hamstrings, glutes that look like walnuts, and striated triceps for days, its not even fucking close!!!

I agree. But damn, look at Mike's waistline compared to shoulder width.

I agree. But damn, look at Mike's waistline compared to shoulder width.
that is impressive looking but stand him up on stage next to a young phil hernon and mike looks like a fitness model!

im more impressed with this!!!!

Attachments

• 15058-Phil_Hernon.jpg
    15058-Phil_Hernon.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:

It's true bro! but Phil is the exception and arguably the best bodybuilder inthe world! It's just that there are alot of watery ,vascular dudes out there and it do'nt always look good. and the fact that the champs of today would dwwarf the champs back then is a given

They photoshopped a pic of Arnold from the 70's? But I've seen these same photos before they invented photoshop? So....

excellent point!!!

we all know those type of people, always giving a reason for something to make themselves feel better

he's rich cause his parents have money

she's hot cause she had plastic surgery

i'd be that big if i took juice

pro's only look like that cause they are photoshopped

while many people fall into these kinds of categories, many do not and ARNOLD is one that does not need to have his pics photoshopped

he EARNED that look through years of dedication and hard work

Before Photoshop it was called "airbrushing" it's been done for years....

Mike mentzer was actually known for his wide waist....Arnold actually commented on it and that's part of the reason they almost got in a fight before the 80 Olympia

And in the 70s and 80s the bodies looked different but the conditioning was not better....rich gaspari was the first guy with striated glutes...pretty much the only guy with striated glutes....the real freaks in both size and conditioning came in the 90s....momo.....munzer....levrone, Ray, flex.....they all brought it when it came to conditioning....and in the 90s is when gh, insulin, and high dose test really came on the scene....and until momo and munzer died diuretic use was pretty hardcore from what I understand....kinda like the middle eastern way in the other thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would love to look as soft as these guys

Attachments

• sn155.jpg
    sn155.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 525
  • makkaway-vince-training.jpg
    makkaway-vince-training.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 368
before you guys get all carried away that i insulted your "golden age" idols i said they would look soft IN COMPARISON as in compared to the guys standing next to them. kind of like how people say the pros today are fat or watery, well thats in comparison. yeah kai greene looked soft at the olympia this year, in comparison to the guys that placed over him, but i dont think anyone would be calling him fat. its ridiculous to compare these guys because if a guy showed up at nationals looking exactly like serge nubret,same lines,conditioning, size etc hed get lost up there. theres no comparing the conditioning then to the conditioning now, the only thing the pros had over the ones now is that they were smaller and more aesthetically pleasing.

before you guys get all carried away that i insulted your "golden age" idols i said they would look soft IN COMPARISON as in compared to the guys standing next to them. kind of like how people say the pros today are fat or watery, well thats in comparison. yeah kai greene looked soft at the olympia this year, in comparison to the guys that placed over him, but i dont think anyone would be calling him fat. its ridiculous to compare these guys because if a guy showed up at nationals looking exactly like serge nubret,same lines,conditioning, size etc hed get lost up there. theres no comparing the conditioning then to the conditioning now, the only thing the pros had over the ones now is that they were smaller and more aesthetically pleasing.

i agree with this.
and i did'nt get into this game to look pretty:cool:
-JS

Less Bloat

Didn't the guys "back in the day", have an off season where they took no gear and maybe even stayed out of the gym for an extended period of time? As opposed to today's guys rocketing to over 300lbs when not competing.

I think one difference in the looks of the guys from the 70s and the guys from today, is that the old school guys "overtrained" compared to the guys of today. Frankly, I think the extraordinary volume training and the myriad number of sets the old-timers gave them a different look in the muscles. It's a look that I like. I know they don't have today's freaky mass, but it's a nice aesthetic look that I like.

I do think this accounts for the lack of size in the legs of the old guys. Many of them would train legs 3X/week with a crazy number of sets and reps. Today's guys don't overtrain the legs and with the slin protocols their legs explode.

that picture of serge is him in his 60s. he is old there so he is a bit smaller. in his prime he doesn't get lost.its just a different type of physique but to say it would get lost is not true. people always recognize something special

if serge showed up in his prime he would not get lost anywhere. he had 20 + inch arms with a 27 inch waist, in show condition. one of the best chest ever. you think that would get lost?. the guy was one of the best bodybuilders ever.
his legs were not as big because that is what the standard called for back then. that was considered proportional. just because a guy is not 250 doesn't mean he is not as big as other guys. a lot of the weight difference is in these guys stomachs. early pro flex wheeler is also one of the best bodybuilder even in my o pinon. he weighted around 215 on stage as well. would he get lost on stage as well? there is no way these guys get lost

Attachments

• flexserge7cy.jpg
    flexserge7cy.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 771

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member