over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

It's official: Heavy Weights Beats Extra Hours in Gym

Yea, and lifting heavy weights too often taxes the CNS which leads to overtraining...there are many different ways to train.....the bottom line...you are much better off going to the gym and doing something....whether it be heavier weights or higher volume....than you are sitting at home on the couch drinking a 6 pack and eating a large pizza by yourself.

Less risk of injuries and greater longevity as a gym rat with lighter weights and higher reps. Honestly for myself I never enjoyed training heavy. I could feel my CNS getting burned out and losing interest in the gym. Much more enjoyable for me to use light weights and feel the muscles contracting with a slow deliberate contraction against the resistance.......but to each his own though.

Lol go figure

Yes it can make you stronger but doesn't appear to be any better if size is your goal. And I am guessing the chance of injury is higher with heavy weights.

Extra hours to the gym vs knee surgery, muscle tears, spine problems ...
I train heavy but I know I have to change my methods... I dont like to do like centopani, coleman and others...

Juan diesel is damn big with high volume approach. Do what work for you

Pyramid!
I have forever trained in this manner.
Start light and slowly work up to heavy then back to light.
Works the entire spectrum of the muscle fibres.

i always mixed lifting heavy and then going high reps/more volume for a couple of months.

watch me training last month splaining good form and why time under tension is paramount:
my legs shrank because i hadnt worked out for a month
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBP_xdzyxI"]Epic Bench Press Maneuver - YouTube[/ame]

i always mixed lifting heavy and then going high reps/more volume for a couple of months.

watch me training last month splaining good form and why time under tension is paramount:

LMAO....I haven't seen that one for a while...what a freakin' tool....:rolleyes:

One thing to consider though, they used weights of 30 and 80% of maximum in the study. While 80% is indeed heavier than 30% (duh) it is not exactly what we would call "maximum weights" training. We're talking sets of 6-8 reps for most people.

No shit!

Why do you think the biggest past bodybuilder were also the strongest?

Yates,Coleman

Benching 600 pounds

Deadlifting 600+ pounds

Squatting 600+ Pounds.

Look at dallas mcarver.

If your stuck at benching 135 pounds when you been training for 10 years.Dont question why your still 185 pounds with average build.

Heavy Weight with good reps build density that lifters doing lightweight pump workout wont look the same as them.

for strength obviously lifting heavy is gonna lead to getting stonger. this seems like an old study cuz ive read the exact thing maybe 2 years ago
30 percent max v 80 percent max led to more strength in the 80 percent but.....
almost the same MUSCLE growth in the 30 and the 80.
so whats the goal? muscle grows with light load too. the key was going to failure...
which is often debated here with folks posting studies showing failure is key and other studies showing NOT gong to failure is key.

Last edited:
The next study from this group of researchers is going to find out whether studying French or Spanish makes you better at speaking Spanish....

Extra hours to the gym vs knee surgery, muscle tears, spine problems ...
I train heavy but I know I have to change my methods... I dont like to do like centopani, coleman and others...

Juan diesel is damn big with high volume approach. Do what work for you

Yes, but Juan is also very strong. He may not use massive weights at every training session, but the point is that his body can lift those kind of weights...which is the main reason he is the size he is. I saw the guy inclining 4 plates for quite a few reps on one of his videos from a couple years ago. If he was not capable of lifting that kind of weight, his chest would not be nearly as big as it is. He had to first reach that level of strength in order to build that size.

There are a lot of "volume" trainers out there who are very strong. For example, a lot of people have said "look at Cutler...he uses lighter weights for a lot of sets, with short rest periods...and focuses on the pump...and he is huge!" This is true...partially. What they often neglect to realize is that Jay was ALSO enormously strong and was capable of incline pressing 405 x 14 reps (saw him do it on video), flat benching 550 x 2 reps...squatting with 7 plates, doing barbell rows with 4.5 plates (per side, of course), and a bunch of other similarly impressive lifts. The guy was strong as hell. He never would have reached the size he had if he hadn't gotten that strong. He just didn't "always" use those kind if weights during training, but his body retained the ability to.

The point here is that a volume approach can work for getting massive IF it allows the person to become very strong. This does not mean they have to constantly push huge weights in the gym, but if their body is not continually getting stronger (the ability to push heavier and heavier weights), then neither are their muscles. Their muscles grow with their strength levels.

Like with most bodybuilders, even the pros known for a high volume approach, such as Ronnie, Jay, Arnold, etc...all stopped growing when their strength gains stopped. They were all also very strong. For all of those guys...and many others, they continued growing throughout their careers as their strength levels rose...and when their strength gains stopped, so did their size gains, regardless of how many sets they performed in the gym or how pumped they got.

All of those men were at their very largest when their strength was at its peak. Again, this does not mean they were always pushing maximum weights in the gym, but it does mean their bodies were capable of doing so...and as that capability increased, so did the size of their muscles.

The guys who are able to get very strong with a pump-based, high volume approach are the guys who get very big with a high volume approach. The guys who don't get very string with a high volume approach are the guys who stay small. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of guys out there who struggle to make considerable strength gains with a high volume approach, especially after using it for a while.

This is not an anti-volume post...because I do think that volume training offers certain benefits that can "add" to the size gains made through strength increases...but when evaluated on their own, they're not impressive. In other words, someone can get as pumped as possible at every workout and experience extreme metabolic waste build-up...yet if their strength level stay the same, so will their size. They may gain a small amount of size through increased glycogen storage and fluid retention, but it will be very minor and quickly reach its limit.

Last edited:

my legs shrank because i hadnt worked out for a month
Epic Bench Press Maneuver - YouTube

I'm sorry. I pretty much always stay out of people' shit at the gym, but if I saw some fool doing that I would not be able to help myself.

Mike nailed it. You don't get strong and huge my lifting light weights initially. A base has to be built. That's why many beginners benefit greatly by a starting strength or a 5x5 focusing on the main compounds. I still think any great program--whether you're a seasoned IFBB pro or not--is built around the bread and butter lifts. You just don't have to do them as often, or with as much volume (maybe) ;).

Didn't Mike Mentzer promote some once a month body part scheme or something? Seems vaguely familiar but I haven't googled it yet

It is all about intensity.. I don't recover for shit.. My CNS feels fried pretty quick.. So many studies are now showing that going to failure at 15 reps and going to failure at 6 reps induces the amount of protein synthesis.. Now if I can get about the same result hitting failure at 15 reps as opposed to 6 reps why would I train with that heavier load? Lighter load means less cns fatigue .. Less wear and tear on the joints ( my joints are shot already..its about longevity now) lighter loads means I can continue to train .. So that's a win.. Add in techniques like muscle rounds and rest pause ( in a higher total rep range) and I have enough diversity to keep things interesting..

I'm not telling you to not train with heavier loads but do so sparingly.. It's about the effort.. If your hitting failure your training intense.. If high reps ARENT your thing than lighten the load and slow the cadences on your reps.. Create the intensity in many ways.. Do not be dogmatic with a mindset that says " go big or go home" on a day in and out basis.. Every one thought Ronnie was invincible .. We now know even Ronnie feel victim to that mindset.. Spinal surgeries and repairs.. Hip replacements.. Neck issues.. The list goes on.. So be smart and be in it for the long game.. Creat intensity., it can be done with tendon snapping loads..

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131