over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Its scary how stupid some parents can be

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I came across a situation today I feel like I need to get off my chest and share. It is still bothering me now after hearing it and its been about 5 hours or more. Today I was a substitute teacher at a local high school and one of my students mentioned to me how hes having health problems. He is into bodybuilding and taking creatine and some substance that advertises as a stimulant (has adrenalin like title to it). His blood pressure is usually around 155/90 or so and often times the systolic is 170 or more. He said one day at the doctors it was over 200. I asked him if he had tried stopping all the supplements to see if his BP came down and he claimed that he tried it but it didnt help. To complicate things hes also on meds for ADHD.

Anyhow, I asked him if he had been to a doc to get some meds to lower that bp and he said no. He even mentioned that once while lifitng he passed out and had some sort of heart trouble, I dont know what, and the paramedics came and gave him nitroglycerin. Here he is, only about 17 years old and having all of these problems.

His mother is a nurse and tells him that his BP is just boarderline and he doesnt need treatment! I guess she just works partime at a hospice or something and so they dont have health insurance. She doesnt want to pay for him to go to the doctor or get tests run. He continues to train hard even though his BP sometimes measures up around 200 mmHG. Crazy shit. I told him his mother was wrong and that he needed to see a doctor soon. I doubt anything wil come of it. Sad stuff.

She doesnt want to pay for him to go to the doctor or get tests run.

Here's the issue right here. Even if the kid personally wanted to get treatment, without health insurance, how is he going to pay for it if his mother is unwilling or unable?

There is absolutely no reason a 17 year old kid should have to forego treatment because of financial issues out of his control.

He is a minor. I would report this to child services. If something happens to him you are going to feel horable. As a teacher,you actually have an obligation to do so. I used to be a HS teacher and i have seen some very pathetic parents.

It's amazing the lack of parenting in general with kids nowadays. The stuff they let their kids eat, I'm thinking to myself looking at some of these real young kids and I just want to ask these parents if they understand that they will be letting their kids get diabetes along with the massive amount of health problems they can develop, not to mention what obesity does to the development of the body during young years and puberty.

Parents don't take care of their kids anymore! They all try to be their best friends and try to make them happy all the time and you end up with this reckless, never listen to you, health problem child.

Here's the issue right here. Even if the kid personally wanted to get treatment, without health insurance, how is he going to pay for it if his mother is unwilling or unable?

There is absolutely no reason a 17 year old kid should have to forego treatment because of financial issues out of his control.

Yes, something has to change in our country soon to put an end to things like this. The thing is though, if it were my kid I would have him at the doctor even if I had no insurance because something is really wrong with him and IMO she is risking his life. No amount of money is worth one of my childs' lives.
IMO this is boarderline child abuse. If someone needs care they can get treatment and other arrangements are made so that it can be paid for at a reduced rate or as a payment plan. Too often people wait until they are on death's doorstep and then rush to the ER for treatment and by then its already too late. Maybe its the doctor's offices that wont treat you if youre not insured? Is that the case? I know that a hospital cannot deny anyone treatment.

He is a minor. I would report this to child services. If something happens to him you are going to feel horable. As a teacher,you actually have an obligation to do so. I used to be a HS teacher and i have seen some very pathetic parents.

Yeah, sitting here now I was actually thinking that before I wrote this thread. I dont remember his name, but I should be able to track it down pretty easy and report it to the school. The school could then take it from there.

The only thing that worries me is sometimes kids talk and tell lies, and I would feel terrible if he was exagerating things and not telling the whole truth.

Yeah, sitting here now I was actually thinking that before I wrote this thread. I dont remember his name, but I should be able to track it down pretty easy and report it to the school. The school could then take it from there.

The only thing that worries me is sometimes kids talk and tell lies, and I would feel terrible if he was exagerating things and not telling the whole truth.

Better to be safe than sorry

Better to be safe than sorry

Yeah, thats what I am thinking. I guess Im just a bit of a coward now that Im just a sub and not a "real" teacher anymore. I used to be a full time teacher at a high school but quit to stay home with my 2 girls when they were born. I know I would have reported it back then, but now I feel more like an interloper.

To risk serious or possibly fatal injury to you child over money? Come on! His parents are truly pathetic humanbeings and should be reported for sure!

I know what you mean. Ive been through this whole deal with kids and schools. And sometimes there is a fine line with this stuff. At least report it to the school councelor and make a record of it. That way you have covered your ass.

I know what you mean. Ive been through this whole deal with kids and schools. And sometimes there is a fine line with this stuff. At least report it to the school councelor and make a record of it. That way you have covered your ass.

Yeah, I already reported one trouble spot I wandered into. I found a student's notebook on the ground and in it they had written about meeting up with a boy and smoking pot. I handed it to the councelor. Ill probably look up the councelor at the high school next time I am there.

I came across a situation today I feel like I need to get off my chest and share. It is still bothering me now after hearing it and its been about 5 hours or more. Today I was a substitute teacher at a local high school and one of my students mentioned to me how hes having health problems. He is into bodybuilding and taking creatine and some substance that advertises as a stimulant (has adrenalin like title to it). His blood pressure is usually around 155/90 or so and often times the systolic is 170 or more. He said one day at the doctors it was over 200. I asked him if he had tried stopping all the supplements to see if his BP came down and he claimed that he tried it but it didnt help. To complicate things hes also on meds for ADHD.

Anyhow, I asked him if he had been to a doc to get some meds to lower that bp and he said no. He even mentioned that once while lifitng he passed out and had some sort of heart trouble, I dont know what, and the paramedics came and gave him nitroglycerin. Here he is, only about 17 years old and having all of these problems.

His mother is a nurse and tells him that his BP is just boarderline and he doesnt need treatment! I guess she just works partime at a hospice or something and so they dont have health insurance. She doesnt want to pay for him to go to the doctor or get tests run. He continues to train hard even though his BP sometimes measures up around 200 mmHG. Crazy shit. I told him his mother was wrong and that he needed to see a doctor soon. I doubt anything wil come of it. Sad stuff.

Is he on Ritalin ? and taking stimulants? that is my first thought.

To risk serious or possibly fatal injury to you child over money? Come on! His parents are truly pathetic humanbeings and should be reported for sure!

Yeah. The crazy thing is that she is totally aware of his high bp because he takes his own at home and shows it to her. Her reply is that its just boarderline. I guess last night the sysytolic was up over 170. He even told me that she said it was normal!! I told him about my heart attack and how he was headed down the wrong road. Being a kid though I guess he doesnt have a whole lot of say in what happens.

Is he on Ritalin ? and taking stimulants? that is my first thought.

Yeah, hes on something for his ADHD and my first thought was Ritalin but who knows. I know those drugs are all mostly stimulants arent they? That supplement he takes is a stim too and I told him to get off that. He did say that his BP was still high even when not on the supplement, so it must be mostly something else. I wonder if his dose of the script drug is too high or hes having a bad reaction. Damn mother wont take him to the doc.

If the kid is on ADHD meds then he should have insurance, that stuff runs over 100 dollars a month w/out insurance. Plus combining OTC stims with ADHD meds (amphetamines) is more than enough to cause elevated blood pressure.

I've gone into the docs office with systolic bp over 180 simply due to being nervous about results. Plus the kid is 17, so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Not saying that you shouldn't be concerned, or ignore the situation... but i'd be cautious of blowing the whistle on the kids parents w/out knowing the whole situation

If the kid is on ADHD meds then he should have insurance, that stuff runs over 100 dollars a month w/out insurance. Plus combining OTC stims with ADHD meds (amphetamines) is more than enough to cause elevated blood pressure.

I've gone into the docs office with systolic bp over 180 simply due to being nervous about results. Plus the kid is 17, so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Not saying that you shouldn't be concerned, or ignore the situation... but i'd be cautious of blowing the whistle on the kids parents w/out knowing the whole situation

yeah, thats what part of me is thinking but I am very concerned that he said that they had to use nitroglycerin on him once. im not sure of the details in that occurance, but that sounds a bit serious to me.

Yeah, hes on something for his ADHD and my first thought was Ritalin but who knows. I know those drugs are all mostly stimulants arent they? That supplement he takes is a stim too and I told him to get off that. He did say that his BP was still high even when not on the supplement, so it must be mostly something else. I wonder if his dose of the script drug is too high or hes having a bad reaction. Damn mother wont take him to the doc.

Most likely adderall instead of ritalin, which is still a fairly powerful stimulant...

It may be a sad situation but .... keep in mind, too, that not everything a 17 year old says is true, too. Just sayin'.

Skip

yeah, thats what part of me is thinking but I am very concerned that he said that they had to use nitroglycerin on him once. im not sure of the details in that occurance, but that sounds a bit serious to me.

Yeah i'm not sure about that one... unless it was used by paramedics as a precautionary measure, but I can't think of any reason a 17 year old would need that.

Typically you would pass out in the gym after a heavy set from a rapid drop in blood pressure. During heavy squats your systolic may be as high as 300, and then plumates once you rack the weight causing that dizziness we've all felt

Public Aid...

Every state has SOME SORT of public aid for kids... they can even go to the County health department for free.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws