over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

John Meadows: Diet Guru of The Week!

Johns the man. I lol'd so hard about the leg press question.

I love 99% of John's stuff, but the 1% I don't like is the pre/intra workout stuff. Guys have been getting jacked for decades without any special peri/post workout shakes, and I don't buy the 'digging a ditch' analogy, just seems too black and white. The peri workout thing just reminds me of the hyperbole Thibaudeau and the rest of the t-nation crew pushes. It's not necessary and I would argue that it's not optimal either, at least not enough to warrant the cost.

Alan Aragon and Eric Helms are working on publishing a paper about this very topic and to quote them in a recent video on the subject of peri workout nutrition:

"I don't think there is a clear answer. If anyone is making any extremely definitive answers about it [peri-workout nutrient timing] I think they're probably reaching. "

Going off that, at the end of the day it may or may not be optimal, but there's no clear cut answer. From my own experience, it makes zero difference and I actually felt it was detrimental on some days.

Last edited:
I love 99% of John's stuff, but the 1% I don't like is the pre/intra workout stuff. Guys have been getting jacked for decades without any special peri/post workout shakes, and I don't buy the 'digging a ditch' analogy, just seems too black and white. The peri workout thing just reminds me of the hyperbole Thibaudeau and the rest of the t-nation crew pushes. It's not necessary and I would argue that it's not optimal either, at least not enough to warrant the cost.

Alan Aragon and Eric Helms are working on publishing a paper about this very topic and to quote them in a recent video on the subject of peri workout nutrition:

Going off that, at the end of the day it may or may not be optimal, but there's no clear cut answer. From my own experience, it makes zero difference and I actually felt it was detrimental on some days.

Hard to argue with you here. It's pretty much been proven through various studies that nutrition around workouts means nothing unless you inject slin.

However, I am sure JM can come in an explain what he means, since everything he says makes sense and the results speak for themselves.

The "multiple ways to skin a cat" analogy would apply here.

Thank for reading the interview. I respect your opinion. You really can't argue glut-4 translocation, and even insulin mediated glut-4 translocation. There is clearly an opportunity when these things happen to load and muscle and to protect it from going to deep into muscle protein breakdown. None of that stuff is what solidified my beliefs though. I have seen a couple hundred people I coached this year drastically improve recovery and thus allow for more training. I am interested in seeing the studies, but if those guys (whom I have tremendous respect for) would simply try it with their clients they way I do it, they would agree these is something to this...it's not smoke and mirrors...

Great read. I cannot wait until I get the funds to work with John.

Great Article!

Love the younger picture of you! You've come along way. How old were you?

Thank for reading the interview. I respect your opinion. You really can't argue glut-4 translocation, and even insulin mediated glut-4 translocation. There is clearly an opportunity when these things happen to load and muscle and to protect it from going to deep into muscle protein breakdown. None of that stuff is what solidified my beliefs though. I have seen a couple hundred people I coached this year drastically improve recovery and thus allow for more training. I am interested in seeing the studies, but if those guys (whom I have tremendous respect for) would simply try it with their clients they way I do it, they would agree these is something to this...it's not smoke and mirrors...

Fair enough. You've got the coaching experience, so I'll take your word on it.

Fair enough. You've got the coaching experience, so I'll take your word on it.

I have always been really concerned with my reputation when it comes to supps. I didnt want to be one of those guys that one month says x is the best supp ever...then the next month after switching companies.say oh now y is best. I really do believe in this approach with all my heart...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Science aside I can verify what John is saying from real world experience. I'm training 7 days a week most weeks and recovering to the extent I can't wait to get back in the gym. I couldn't do what I'm doing now in my early 20's. Of course the peri-workout nutrition probably wouldn't work if not for the butt load of insulin I'm using :rolleyes:

It's difficult to argue against MD's knowledge and experience in the sports nutrition field. Funny how some still try. Congrats on the well deserved recognition, John!

x2

Science aside I can verify what John is saying from real world experience. I'm training 7 days a week most weeks and recovering to the extent I can't wait to get back in the gym. I couldn't do what I'm doing now in my early 20's. Of course the peri-workout nutrition probably wouldn't work if not for the butt load of insulin I'm using :rolleyes:

Nice article, makes me wanna read more of what he has to say on dieting

Alot of red in this thread...too bad I am not one of them....!!!!

Santana - Antoine will be here Thursday, he is coming off a training break, so I might be able to get him good this time..hahaha

See you soon...

JM

Great input, John! Some very good pointers there.

Santana and Mark as well as Shelby up in this thread ! <3 , I fully agree with Shelby's approach with peri workout nutrition , sure Eric Helms and Alan Aragon don't fully support it but it has hardly ever been studied and that what those 2 are mostly all about is science and studies sometimes it just takes real world results and trial and error for things to work , its hard to get stuff like this into those types of studies.

Even Eric Helms has some theories which science doesn't exactly approve of yet it works with his clients and real world results, which is what bodybuilding should be about since people are different and it seems studies can always change . I'm not waiting for some study to come out before I go and do something, im going to go and do it, if it doesn't work out for me then at least I learned and if it does work out ill be ahead of the game , which is what Johns principle seems to be.

Santana and Mark as well as Shelby up in this thread ! <3 , I fully agree with Shelby's approach with peri workout nutrition , sure Eric Helms and Alan Aragon don't fully support it but it has hardly ever been studied and that what those 2 are mostly all about is science and studies sometimes it just takes real world results and trial and error for things to work , its hard to get stuff like this into those types of studies.

Even Eric Helms has some theories which science doesn't exactly approve of yet it works with his clients and real world results, which is what bodybuilding should be about since people are different and it seems studies can always change . I'm not waiting for some study to come out before I go and do something, im going to go and do it, if it doesn't work out for me then at least I learned and if it does work out ill be ahead of the game , which is what Johns principle seems to be.

I think I'm blind because I don't see Shelby's post in this thread :confused:

I'm all for anecdotal evidence over scientific...if it's there. I've just never seen it personally with this particular protocol, and I have never had any noticeable results with past peri-workout nutrition protocols pushed on sites like t-nation...except for an empty wallet. I like to ask questions when something doesn't add up as well, so it only seemed right to say something. Glad I did too, because John and 2 IFBB pros dropped in here with some personal experience.

Ya I don't know. I fully trust John and Shelby re training and nutrition. Wish I had $$$ to hire for 6 months.

Ive been pre...intra. supplementing... And shit needs tweaked...lol. I feel ouffier and can't say I recover faster.... Sore as Fuck anymore.... I'm pushing workouts harder obviously but still....soooooore!!

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws