over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

John Meadows Heart Recovery, Training Methods, etc

MaconiDDS

Registered

Hope you guys can enjoy this talk with John. Always awesome to talk to him and very glad to see he's been doing well health wise

0:20- Our leg sessions that morning
2:00- Update to John’s heart condition
6:30- Ubiquinol / CoQ10
7:30- John’s medications
8:00- John’s family history
9:10- Training intensity post heart attack
10:35- Marvel / movies
12:40- Muscle rounds / cluster sets / rest pauses
16:30- My previously insane leg workouts
18:30- John’s opinion of 2-3+ RIR
27:00- How a sports / competitive background effects mindset
33:00- Needing less volume as you become more advanced / volumetrics John uses
38:30- What actually causes muscle growth?
40:00- Reference to my “How Pro Bodybuilders Actually Train” video
43:30- Does having a lot of years away from natural lifting lead an enhanced coach to lose touch with what works for naturals?
48:30- Does John have any regrets about his bodybuilding experience?
57:00- Bodybuilding compared to other sports

Great interview! Thank you for putting out informative and entertaining content!!

Hope you guys can enjoy this talk with John. Always awesome to talk to him and very glad to see he's been doing well health wise

0:20- Our leg sessions that morning
2:00- Update to John’s heart condition
6:30- Ubiquinol / CoQ10
7:30- John’s medications
8:00- John’s family history
9:10- Training intensity post heart attack
10:35- Marvel / movies
12:40- Muscle rounds / cluster sets / rest pauses
16:30- My previously insane leg workouts
18:30- John’s opinion of 2-3+ RIR
27:00- How a sports / competitive background effects mindset
33:00- Needing less volume as you become more advanced / volumetrics John uses
38:30- What actually causes muscle growth?
40:00- Reference to my “How Pro Bodybuilders Actually Train” video
43:30- Does having a lot of years away from natural lifting lead an enhanced coach to lose touch with what works for naturals?
48:30- Does John have any regrets about his bodybuilding experience?
57:00- Bodybuilding compared to other sports
Enjoying the Interview....subscribed. ;)

good video. any thoughts on what are the best intensity methods? Ive done Rest pause, the magic 25 sounded intense. Didn't quite understand the cluster sets or muscle rounds, seemed a little complicated for my liking.

good video. any thoughts on what are the best intensity methods? Ive done Rest pause, the magic 25 sounded intense. Didn't quite understand the cluster sets or muscle rounds, seemed a little complicated for my liking.

Look up Borge Fagerli and Myo-Reps for further reading. DC rest-pause, Muscle Rounds, Cluster Sets, and Myo-Reps are all kind of similar, but with slightly different parameters.

DC: Three mini-sets, failure at each point, 10-15 breaths between each point.

Muscle Rounds: Six mini-sets, four reps per set, 10 seconds between each point, failure on the last. Load selected is a 12-15 rep max, I believe.

Cluster Sets: These can be done however you want, but the general idea is that it seems similar to DC, but not all points are failure. Example: 10-rep max, stop at 8, brief rest, continue. Reps will obviously drop and you can decide how many times you want to go.

Myo-Reps: Borge wants something similar to clusters, but likes 3-5 reps and 10-15 second rest periods for the subsequent mini-sets and states that you stop when you can't match reps. Example: 10(initial)+4+4+4+3 done. Not 10(initial)+4+4+4+3+2 or whatever would happen.

Can't speak for John, but personally I like rest pause sets a lot, largely for efficiency. More difficult reps in a shorter period of time (though keep in mind the idea of "effective reps" has been called into question).

I was in the middle of writing up more details but FK86 above did a fantastic job summarizing various methods

Look up Borge Fagerli and Myo-Reps for further reading. DC rest-pause, Muscle Rounds, Cluster Sets, and Myo-Reps are all kind of similar, but with slightly different parameters.

Muscle Rounds: Six mini-sets, four reps per set, 10 seconds between each point, failure on the last. Load selected is a 12-15 rep max, I believe.

Cluster Sets: These can be done however you want, but the general idea is that it seems similar to DC, but not all points are failure. Example: 10-rep max, stop at 8, brief rest, continue. Reps will obviously drop and you can decide how many times you want to go.

Myo-Reps: Borge wants something similar to clusters, but likes 3-5 reps and 10-15 second rest periods for the subsequent mini-sets and states that you stop when you can't match reps. Example: 10(initial)+4+4+4+3 done. Not 10(initial)+4+4+4+3+2 or whatever would happen.

Good post

Muscle rounds suck something dinosauric. As an addendum, your weight choice is generally one you can complete about 15 clean reps without resting

Still love @homonunculus but fuck him for coming up with that torturous shit

Just copied this to my notes

Good post

Muscle rounds suck something dinosauric. As an addendum, your weight choice is generally one you can complete about 15 clean reps without resting

Still love @homonunculus but fuck him for coming up with that torturous shit

lol I personally find the DC rest-pause with 3 intense failure points to be significantly harder than muscle rounds. One obviously needs to choose the right exercise for these as well, as I don't like them as much with some major free weight exercises. Obviously something like a curl is fine but in general I find rest-pause to feel a lot better with exercises that don't require so much set up, racking, etc. which Scott and Dante both state themselves of course.

good video. any thoughts on what are the best intensity methods? Ive done Rest pause, the magic 25 sounded intense. Didn't quite understand the cluster sets or muscle rounds, seemed a little complicated for my
lol I personally find the DC rest-pause with 3 intense failure points to be significantly harder than muscle rounds. One obviously needs to choose the right exercise for these as well, as I don't like them as much with some major free weight exercises. Obviously something like a curl is fine but in general I find rest-pause to feel a lot better with exercises that don't require so much set up, racking, etc. which Scott and Dante both state themselves of course.
Agreed. Like hammer strength or smith presses, machine lateral raises, etc. exercises in a fixed range of motion that decreases the risk of injury when tired

This is a great thread! Could anyone (bump @FK86) tell me what John means by "Traditional Bodybuilding" under Type of Split on the Program Comparison Chart (https://mountaindogdiet.com/programs/program-comparison-chart/)? Is this synonymous with "Bro Split" or more like an "Arnold Split"?

Is it fair to say John's programs are broadly characterized by:
- supersets
- intensity methods (e.g., muscle rounds)
- increasing volume

Anything you'd add or change?

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear