over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

John Meadows on ROM (JM approved)

Bro

Banned
Most people already know how good partials are and their importance in training but I thought it would be good to read what John Meadows thinks. (not a long article, more of a mini article). Link to the origional: **broken link removed**

1/26/2013
Only Doing Full ROM Is Crazy!
JMSortRange_zps85def677.jpg
"Simple minds adopt rigid positions on almost everything, and the world of exercise seems to be a safe haven for lots of these simple minds.

For instance, ever since I started training, I've heard how full range of motion (ROM) is the only way to train — how if you're not training full ROM on every movement, you're somehow mentally and physically weak; that you should just pack it up and go home.

That's crapola.

The reality is that both full range and shortened range movements should be incorporated intelligently into your programs. In fact, using a shortened ROM on key exercises allows you to hammer the muscle in ways that simply aren't possible with full ROM. Before you make any judgments, let me show you what I mean.

Movement Dictates ROM

Exercises like a preacher curl aren't meant to be done with a full range of motion. There's just too much potential for a tear or major strain.

Similarly, I believe lowering the bar all the way to your chest on incline barbell presses is very hard on the rotators. I'd rather stop an inch or two short. Even squats come into play here. It's easy to lose the proper alignment of your lower back during a squat if you go too low for your level of flexibility.

But there's a lot more to shortened ROM than injury prevention.

Enhanced Mechanical Loading

Another reason to incorporate shortened ROM is to increase mechanical loading with time under tension.

A shorter range of motion allows you to work the sweet spot of a movement — the spot where you're strongest — with a higher load and more time under tension. Increased load with sufficient time under tension does a lot of really cool things like turn on the m-TOR pathway and also initiate glut-4 translocation to get the good stuff in Plazma™ into your muscle cells.

That means more growth, but you have to do shortened ROM movements in a way that's probably way too tough for ordinary Joes.

Stimulating More Growth

Let's say you're doing dumbbell side laterals for your delts. Normally you might use 35's for a set of 10. But try grabbing a pair of 55's and doing 25 reps, but only raising them 6 inches. It doesn't sound like it would work, right?

Regardless of the ROM, your delts have to initiate the lift, even if it's only 4 to 6 inches. Same thing with bent over laterals for rear delts, or just about any exercise. A few of my favorites include any side lateral variation, incline barbell press, squat, barbell curl, and banded chest press.

Tough And Worth It

Anybody who's tried these techniques will tell you they absolutely blitz their muscles and take a lot of mental fortitude. Shocking your muscle is a very good thing, provided adequate rest and nutrition is in place.

Try shorter ROM my way and you'll never question their efficacy again!

Check out the video below and you'll see John Schlecht and me perform extended sets of lateral raise, finishing with reps in the bottom position:"
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jtdq1VAROG4]John Meadows Lateral Raise Extended Set - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks John

Last edited:
I said that for many years.. the whole "full range of motion" gets confused with full range of movement.. for some reason people think that they must go from point A to point B on any movement.. but they are not taking in to consideration what the best range of motion for the desired muscle group.. we many times shortchange ourselves by doing the full range of motion in a movement which limits load in many occasions based on using the weaker muscle groups..

I said that for many years.. the whole "full range of motion" gets confused with full range of movement.. for some reason people think that they must go from point A to point B on any movement.. but they are not taking in to consideration what the best range of motion for the desired muscle group.. we many times shortchange ourselves by doing the full range of motion in a movement which limits load in many occasions based on using the weaker muscle groups..

Exactly my friend!

JM

The problem is, there are good partial movements and bad ones. Bad partial movements take advantage of leverage, other muscles, or physics to reduce the mechanical tension in the muscle, even though you are able to do more weight. The average weightlifter, without guidance, is probably going to do the wrong type of partials...

The problem is, there are good partial movements and bad ones. Bad partial movements take advantage of leverage, other muscles, or physics to reduce the mechanical tension in the muscle, even though you are able to do more weight. The average weightlifter, without guidance, is probably going to do the wrong type of partials...

yep - agree 100% on that.

JM

yep - agree 100% on that.

JM

Is there a list of good partial movements somewhere you guys recommend?

Is there a list of good partial movements somewhere you guys recommend?

I was thinking about putting together a short list. You have two things going on here. In some exercises, like incline barbell, I always like to use a shortened range of motion. Then you have partials that are tacked on the full range reps like on a leg curl for example. So let me think about this and I will put together a list...maybe a top 10 or something like that..

JM

I was thinking about putting together a short list. You have two things going on here. In some exercises, like incline barbell, I always like to use a shortened range of motion. Then you have partials that are tacked on the full range reps like on a leg curl for example. So let me think about this and I will put together a list...maybe a top 10 or something like that..

JM
Sounds great...Waiting in the wings..

Never done lateral raises bent over like that...or with partials.

Is doing them bent over more effective then standing up tall?

Coming Soon to a Computer near you!

Stay tuned for when I post John's newest article (hasn't come out yet) on Monday/Tuesday (depends on country) titled :" John Meadows Ranks and Discusses 8 Great Rowing Variations For Massive Back Development". Shits about to get real:eek::headbang:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:

JM

please do. i was raised on full ROM and THATS IT. if you couldnt handle the weight the whole way, dont touch it.

i feel like an idiot doing half curls but i need more peak! so following you JM. Thanks for your constant devotion to the sport!

I love partial ROMs in certain circumstances... For instance right now I am trying to bring my quads up more, rather than hamstrings and glutes, so I am not going as deep on squats and really focusing the burn and blood pump to my quads. Working well so far. Able to load up the weight a bit more to exhaust thm that bit more too

I have been reading a lot on the information John Meadows has been giving and I tell you what it has enlightened me a lot. Thank you John. Keep up the great work. It has totally changed the way I have been training. My whole family has been getting raw milk and drinking it and buying more grassfed beef. My daughter loves the raw milk also. Once again John Thank you so much. Since changing the foods I feel a difference. Simply amazing.

Shorten rom for db side laterals work fairly well. For me, once I get a good pump going its hard to just raise my arms all the way up without any weights. Also, generally the top portion of the rep is where I feel the most aggravation on my rotator cuff. Below that range, I feel it mainly in my deltoids.

I have done partial laterals before and they are a killer!

My problem is that I like to have someone there to spot me on dumbbell overhead press and my mates, although big, are old school and narrow minded and when i suggest things like this on a shoulder day they aren't keen on it.

Thinking about just hitting delts on my own and trying cage presses for a while and if i have someone in the gym to spot me on DB thats a bonus.

Keen to see this back article too!

I have done partial laterals before and they are a killer!

My problem is that I like to have someone there to spot me on dumbbell overhead press and my mates, although big, are old school and narrow minded and when i suggest things like this on a shoulder day they aren't keen on it.

Thinking about just hitting delts on my own and trying cage presses for a while and if i have someone in the gym to spot me on DB thats a bonus.

Keen to see this back article too!

next time you do shoulders on your own, try this out http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...ifferent-type-shoulder-press-jm-approved.html

oh and that back article is coming tommorow!:headbang:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity