over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

JOHN MEADOWS Q&A

THANK YOU all for checking out my YouTube. I have been working hard on that bad boy. Check out some of the training vids I did with Scott Stevenson too!

I think I have been very clear and consistent regarding these things. I realize not everyone agrees, and that's ok, it's just my opinion.

There were many an awesome bodybuilder created before blasting and cruising became popular. Believe it or not, people use to come off all the time using mostly HCG and Clomid.

Somewhere along the way, people became convinced you could never come off.

If you can recover your own system with PCT, ALWAYS do that. This is why I recommend it. Now you will eventually come to a point where you can't come off and have to do HRT. That happened to me in 2003. That's when PCT just didnt work anymore and I had to stay on Test.

At some point I realized that I could actually have really good offseasons with low dose test, GH, and a little humalog here and there, and keep my bloodwork in very good shape. That is when I made that my offseason, and then the "blast" would be precontest. if you have tracked my progress over the years you'll see points where i started my "diets" lighter and lighter, not really losing much weight over the course of 12 weeks, but continued to improve despite not getting heavy in the offseason. Having fresh receptors in the pre-contest phase makes a big difference IMO. Common sense also always told me to save the hardening agents until you really needed them so they worked the absolute best.

So anyways, thanks again everyone -- have an awesome weekend.

JM

Good stuff JM, hope you don't think I was coming across as argumentative. Love the videos with you and Scott.

So when you say you couldn't recover in 2003, do you think your levels you were getting were much lower because of your AAS use....or do you think they would have been close to whatever they were if you were natural just due to aging? I'm not sure what your natural levels were but for me personally one of my big concerns with coming off is that my pre-gear levels when I was 20-21 were only 350-450. So I'd love to recover good natural levels as I'm only 26 years old and on 80mg TRT but I feel like my natural levels would only be around 300 or so anyway

Also, you mentioned your blood work has been great with your current off season protocol but have you ever had an echocardiogram or angiogram done? My blood work was usually stellar on just test cycles but I still had dilated cardiomyopathy and a low ejection fraction, which my blood work never would have told me.

John,

Thanks for your reasonable and level-headed approach to BBing.

If someone wanted to take a step beyond 300mg Test... what would be the next least-damaging compounds to take in the off season that would actually accomplish anything?

This is not asking for a recommendaion.... just wondering what would be the next least-risky drug.

• More Test?
  • NPP/Deca? (and what are your thoughts on the studies regarding arterial damage of nandrolones?
  • EQ?
  • PRobably not Tren?
  • Primo?

John,

When you were discussing the deload week you touched on training frequency and how you said it was unheard of to train body parts more than once a week during your early competitive days. To my knowledge it was all full-body workouts, three times a week before the '70s. In the '70s to mid '80s everyone was training body parts three times a week on a split routine. Obviously people were copying Arnold, but even guys like Danny Padilla and Haney & Gaspari were on a straight six, double split until about '85. Haney then popularized the 3 on 1 off approach and towards the end of the '80s it seemed twice a week was the norm.

Yates' dominance had everyone switching to once a week even if they didn't adopt the HIT philosophy with regards to sets and reps. It seemed the only guys that stayed with twice a week were Coleman, Levrone, and Hernon. All three were strong and thick.

In following your writings I know your Mountain Dog training often entails 7 days. Dugdale's workouts had a twice per week frequency according to some of the articles written for elitefts.

Do you feel this is the best frequency for muscle gains? Almost everyone is guilty of overtraining at one time or another, but do you feel that an experienced, educated bodybuilder who has their nutrition, rest, volume, and intensity all balanced could be missing out on maximizing potential by not capitalizing on frequency? Allowing protein synthesis levels to drop and not keeping them elevated because the muscle is ready to go, but the training split keeps them from hitting it?

John,

When you were discussing the deload week you touched on training frequency and how you said it was unheard of to train body parts more than once a week during your early competitive days. To my knowledge it was all full-body workouts, three times a week before the '70s. In the '70s to mid '80s everyone was training body parts three times a week on a split routine. Obviously people were copying Arnold, but even guys like Danny Padilla and Haney & Gaspari were on a straight six, double split until about '85. Haney then popularized the 3 on 1 off approach and towards the end of the '80s it seemed twice a week was the norm.

Yates' dominance had everyone switching to once a week even if they didn't adopt the HIT philosophy with regards to sets and reps. It seemed the only guys that stayed with twice a week were Coleman, Levrone, and Hernon. All three were strong and thick.

In following your writings I know your Mountain Dog training often entails 7 days. Dugdale's workouts had a twice per week frequency according to some of the articles written for elitefts.

Do you feel this is the best frequency for muscle gains? Almost everyone is guilty of overtraining at one time or another, but do you feel that an experienced, educated bodybuilder who has their nutrition, rest, volume, and intensity all balanced could be missing out on maximizing potential by not capitalizing on frequency? Allowing protein synthesis levels to drop and not keeping them elevated because the muscle is ready to go, but the training split keeps them from hitting it?
This is a really good question.

I'm not John but I'll just say; if someone as advanced as Jordan Peters still trains with frequency over traditional body part training, it says something.

Also taking any genetic elites training regime is just pointless IMO.

Kai Greene trains legs for up for 4 hours with eating cake midworkout according to Nick Trigili who trained with him.

Id get rhabdo and indigestion if I did that [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

John,

The answer is simple. The amount per week you're able to train (frequency) is going to depend on your recovery rate. Simple as that. Recovery in terms of soreness, physical, internal (CNS), and mental.

I know this, if someone is able to train more than 5 days per week doing a DC style or Fortitude type training, they simply aren't training hard enough. All the top coaches agree and even have said so as truth. I know Dr. Stevenson believes this, if someone can train over 4 days per week with a MAX of 5, they simply aren't training hard enough.

Just my 2 pennies.

IDK...I think it's probably a genetic thing, like we've come to realize so many other things are in this sport. Response to drugs, response to types of diets (some guys cut carbs, some cut more fats, carb cycling, etc), even amongst different drugs most guys have certain AAS they prefer for various reasons, tolerance to sides etc. etc., are all genetically determined. I don't see why "training frequecy" would be different. Of course intensity and frequency will be inversely correlated, as will volume and frequency....

The amount per week you're able to train (frequency) is going to depend on your recovery rate.

That's a given and why I was very articulate in my question that a person would have to have all of that in line. What I'm hoping John will offer his opinion on is whether people do not make the gains they seek because they wait too long to train a body part again and detraining occurs. They take a step forward, wait too long, take a step back, and it becomes an endless cycle. We want to keep taking steps forward.

I'm a progressive overload/beat the logbook guy. I can tell you in my own experience that while I think size and strength are related, they do not necessarily compliment each other all the time. You can get stronger without increasing muscle mass. Most of us know this.

So as stated above, for hypertrophy, I'm wondering if nailing the frequency (and this could be individual) is a bigger part of the equation than we thought. Anyone can offer their opinion, but the question is directed at John because of his knowledge and experience.

Good stuff JM, hope you don't think I was coming across as argumentative. Love the videos with you and Scott.

So when you say you couldn't recover in 2003, do you think your levels you were getting were much lower because of your AAS use....or do you think they would have been close to whatever they were if you were natural just due to aging? I'm not sure what your natural levels were but for me personally one of my big concerns with coming off is that my pre-gear levels when I was 20-21 were only 350-450. So I'd love to recover good natural levels as I'm only 26 years old and on 80mg TRT but I feel like my natural levels would only be around 300 or so anyway

Also, you mentioned your blood work has been great with your current off season protocol but have you ever had an echocardiogram or angiogram done? My blood work was usually stellar on just test cycles but I still had dilated cardiomyopathy and a low ejection fraction, which my blood work never would have told me.

It was definitely due to years of using test. The last angiogram I had done was in 2005. I had a calcium score test done this year. I posted it on my IG a few months back. Good test to get.

John,

Thanks for your reasonable and level-headed approach to BBing.

If someone wanted to take a step beyond 300mg Test... what would be the next least-damaging compounds to take in the off season that would actually accomplish anything?

This is not asking for a recommendaion.... just wondering what would be the next least-risky drug.

• More Test?
  • NPP/Deca? (and what are your thoughts on the studies regarding arterial damage of nandrolones?
  • EQ?
  • PRobably not Tren?
  • Primo?

I liked Primo back when it was real, but not 99% of it is nandrolone, prop, or inert. If you have real primo, its a nice combo. I did like doing 10 days of orals on and then 20 off when blasting in the old days. I really liked anadrol, and more then 10 days my lower back would lock up from the water.

John,

yea you make great point, the 3 on 1 off and 4 on 1 off.

I think it really just boils down to recovery as I said in another YouTube vid. I have trained naturals that recovered like terminators, and enhanced guys that would stay sore for 4 or 5 days on every body part. The muscle damage needs to be repaired before you train the muscle hard again, if not you eventually get to overreaching whether you know it or not, and then overtraining if you further do this.

That's a given and why I was very articulate in my question that a person would have to have all of that in line. What I'm hoping John will offer his opinion on is whether people do not make the gains they seek because they wait too long to train a body part again and detraining occurs. They take a step forward, wait too long, take a step back, and it becomes an endless cycle. We want to keep taking steps forward.

I'm a progressive overload/beat the logbook guy. I can tell you in my own experience that while I think size and strength are related, they do not necessarily compliment each other all the time. You can get stronger without increasing muscle mass. Most of us know this.

So as stated above, for hypertrophy, I'm wondering if nailing the frequency (and this could be individual) is a bigger part of the equation than we thought. Anyone can offer their opinion, but the question is directed at John because of his knowledge and experience.

Exactly, wait too long and I think you go either backwards or stay the same.

You are correct about strength too. When I trained at Westside I trained with some of the strongest guys in the world. Some looked like beasts (Chuck Vogelpool)while others looked like they never lifted. Its always good to push strength with good form, but if strength is only focus, you might be in for a let down. There's alot to be said for manipulating volume and frequency.

IDK...I think it's probably a genetic thing, like we've come to realize so many other things are in this sport. Response to drugs, response to types of diets (some guys cut carbs, some cut more fats, carb cycling, etc), even amongst different drugs most guys have certain AAS they prefer for various reasons, tolerance to sides etc. etc., are all genetically determined. I don't see why "training frequecy" would be different. Of course intensity and frequency will be inversely correlated, as will volume and frequency....

100% true. Scott Stevenson talks about this in his lectures...response to EVERYTHING is variable.

Kai Greene trains legs for up for 4 hours with eating cake midworkout according to Nick Trigili who trained with him.

Well to be fair there are lot's of things you can do whilst eating cake...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn3GcO0NhgA"]Britain's Got Talent 2018 Sarah Llewellyn Full Audition S12E06 - YouTube[/ame]

John what do u think about deadlift and wide waist? In the past i use to do dead at least 1 time at week, after that i rupt my bicep tendon i had removed it and my waist is visibly more tight

John what do u think about deadlift and wide waist? In the past i use to do dead at least 1 time at week, after that i rupt my bicep tendon i had removed it and my waist is visibly more tight

This might sound weird but I dropped squats and deadlifts for a year and things seemed to be progressing pretty well. Higher weight with the same waistline as before. Then I added in hip thrusts and within a few months it seemed my waistline was going up even though I wasn't any heavier.

It could just be coincidence but I do wonder if dropping the compound work caused me to have a smaller waistline and then adding back in compound work like hip thrusts made it grow again. We're talking maybe half an inch here but still I want my waist as small as possible.

I dont personally think either will build a wide waist if wearing a belt. Something that I do think you have to be careful with is various one arm rows. Holding your waist tight with heavy weight is pretty decent stress on obliques.

I dont personally think either will build a wide waist if wearing a belt. Something that I do think you have to be careful with is various one arm rows. Holding your waist tight with heavy weight is pretty decent stress on obliques.

Many say you engage your core more while wearing a belt because you can brace against it. This could in theory lead to more stimulation/growth of the waist. I guess you don't see it that way?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r10eg2Q_gFg"]3 Exercises For Bigger Arms | You Aren't Doing - YouTube[/ame]

GET BIG GUNS

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear