over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Justt diagnosed with degenerative disk disease

I've had the constant pain for a few months, lets say about 4. I initially hurt it doing pylometric drills. I landed from a one leg jump and felt like somebody hit my back with a hammer. I stopped the workout, went home and fell over in the bathroom with one of the most painful back spasms I've ever experienced. It healed, it would flare on rare occasions. One instance there was a jackass in my gym trying to impress his girlfriend with his max bench press. She tapped me on the shoulder, I looked over and he's pinned and turning blue so I deadlifted his weight off of him awkwardly and flared it up. (what a bonehead). Ever since I got serious about Jiu Jitsu it caused problems, I got put into bad positions over and over and it made it a constant pain. I no longer go to clases for that reason. On my worst days I get a minor radiating pain into my right buttocks but nothing affecting the sciatic nerve. Through trial and error I have learned to eliminate deadlifts, russian good mornings, and heavy squats. Its ironic, I'm at my heaviest weight and strongest ever and now I cant go heavy on squats. Any suggestions on how to get these twigs to grow without heavy squats??? I'm currently doing physical therapy and they are using a med-ex machine which isolates the lumbar area safely. My strength has gone up considerably. They also are strengthening my core, hips, and glutes as well.

PT

Listen to the Physical Therapists and ask questions, LOTS of questions. They study more anatomy than MED docs and the only thing Med docs study more of is Pharmacology. Then do as Wake says and flex those abs while squatting.
I spent an afternoon in the fetal position in the basement after doing an awkward move while refinishing floors in my big old house I remodeled. Maybe let those stupid newbies die under their overly heavy weights...hey its Darwinian theory in action, right? ( stupid dies and doesn't "contaminate" the gene pool...)
ALWAYS keep your body position in mind as you move through the day. You are likely to experience sharp, hot, searing, stabbing, etc. pain at any time for as little as tying your shoes. Stretch and strengthen are your watchwords.
Slow and steady is the recovery on any tendon or nerve related injury, so dont get in a big hurry. I missed my attempt at 505 today, but I'm not worried. The next heavy cycle in 3 weeks and it will be mine. But today it wasn't "feeling right" so I backed away to 485 again for my heavy set after a single attempt at 505. You got to learn to listen to your body and hear what it "SAYS" to you. Dont rush the recovery or you will be set back. PERIOD.
ALSO ask the PT's about anything else they might recommend for recovery.
Hydrotherapy, shiatzu massage, TENS units, Capzaicin, Flexorill, etc.
Stay positive and dont get depressed...this is a bump, not a roadblock.

when i was 25 i was doing wide grip chins and thought i had warmed up properly but hadnt, as i sprained my neck some how.

i went to the doc and had xrays taken of my neck and spine.

he came back and told me that i had 2 fused vertabrae in my neck, then proceded to ask me if there was a history of degenerative disk disease in my family, which there was (my mom).

he asked me about bodybuilding and if i my lifts involved moving objects thru space in and up and down plane (putting stress on my spine), to which i said for the most part.

he told me he guaranteed that if i kept lifting the way i was i'd be in a wheel chair by the time i was 30.

im 36 now and have absolutely no back pain.

i feel that if i had have listen to him and stopped lifting that i would have ended up where he said i would if i kept lifting. i firmly believe that it was the lifting that strengthened my errectors and took alot of the pressure off my spine.

this is not a medical opinion, and im not saying to not listen to your doc, just relaying my own experience.

good luck.

BFU

i feel that if i had have listen to him and stopped lifting that i would have ended up where he said i would if i kept lifting. i firmly believe that it was the lifting that strengthened my errectors and took alot of the pressure off my spine.

this is not a medical opinion, and im not saying to not listen to your doc, just relaying my own experience.

good luck.

BFU

definitely man . i feel the same way .

wake

Bro
I was diagnosed with DDD 10 years ago for the L4-L5 and L5-S1 and have been able to lift more weights than ever as long as I don't do any bent over excercises like deadlifts, bent over rows etc. However, between 2 gyms I have found all the equipment to do whatever I need to do. There is even a bent over "machine" where you lay your chest on the rest which is about 60% inclined and can do even bent over rows without even any pressure on the lower back. I'm now today at 258# with 7.7% bf. When I was diagnosed I was about 220. I have found that the more muscular my back gets and the less %bf, the less probs I have with DDD. My neurosurgeon says that surgery is somewhere in the future but as long as I can keep lifting I won't worry about it. Yeh, sure I have nerve sensations and numb places all over my feet and lower legs but it doesn't slow me down a bit....

Mike

^^ same here . there is a way to work around it . you just got to train smart . the worst is , for me , when the freaking weather starts to change . it sucks ass . that is giving me the biggest problems ! yeah , the more muscle the better !

wake

^^ same here . there is a way to work around it . you just got to train smart . the worst is , for me , when the freaking weather starts to change . it sucks ass . that is giving me the biggest problems ! yeah , the more muscle the better !

wake

Wake,
Do you know what has helped me the most? I have been on GH at 8 iu's for 5 months now. I didn't notice much difference until mid 4th month. Now all the symthoms have really subsided, not gone away completely, BUT noticably less. Literature says this shouuld happen and I am finding it does for me anyway!

Mike

interesting to know . honestly , i thought about it myself but have not done it yet .

wake

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420