over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Kidney worries? IGF-1 may be of help.

plang

Kilo Klub Member
There are a couple more studies indicating igf-1 's usefullness in end stage renal failure...or maybe if your creatinine and BUN are bordeline high using it would only help.

To determine whether insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) affects kidney function in patients with end-stage chronic renal failure, we administered recombinant human IGF-I (rhIGF-I) (100 micrograms/kg body wt subcutaneously twice daily) to nine individuals with baseline inulin clearances below 21 ml/min/1.73 m2. Four patients were treated for four days (short-term treatment) and five for periods between 13 and 27 days (long-term treatment). Administration of rhIGF-I increased inulin clearance, p-aminohippurate (PAH) clearance and the percent tubular reabsorption of filtered phosphate, and decreased plasma creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and plasma phosphate during short-term administration. Kidney volume was unchanged in patients receiving the growth factor. rhIGF-I did not cause weight gain, proteinuria or hypoglycemia. Inulin clearance was not increased significantly above baseline after 13 or 20 days of IGF-I administration. PAH clearance remained elevated after 13 days, but not after 20 days of IGF-I. Levels of total circulating IGF-I were elevated above basal levels during the entire course of long-term IGF-I administration. In contrast, levels of circulating IGF binding protein 3 (IGFBP3) declined over time. Side effects related to IGF-I forced discontinuation of its use in two of five patients undergoing long-term treatment, and side-effects possibly related to IGF-I prompted discontinuation of its use in two others. We conclude that rhIGF-I can enhance glomerular filtration rate and renal plasma flow when administered short-term to humans with end-stage chronic renal renal failure. Further studies will be required to define its efficacy and usefulness long-term.

Effects of IGF-I on renal function in patients with chronic renal failure.

AuthorsO'Shea MH, et al. Show all Journal
Am J Physiol. 1993 May;264(5 Pt 2):F917-22.

Affiliation
Department of Internal Medicine, George M. O'Brien Kidney and Urological Diseases Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110.

Abstract
Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) has been shown to increase glomerular filtration rate and renal plasma flow in rats and humans with normal renal function. However, rats with reduced renal function are resistant to these effects. To determine whether IGF-I affects glomerular filtration rate and renal plasma flow in humans with reduced renal function, we administered recombinant human IGF-I (rhIGF-I) to patients with moderate chronic renal failure. Four patients whose baseline inulin clearances were 21.9, 23.2, 34.9, and 55.1 ml.min-1.1.73 m-2 were placed on a 1 g.kg-1.day-1 protein diet and studied over a 10-day period (0-10). On days 4-7, 100 micrograms/kg of rhIGF-I was subcutaneously administered twice daily to the patients. The effects of rhIGF-I on levels of circulating IGF-I, inulin clearance, p-aminohippurate (PAH) clearance, kidney volume, plasma glucose, plasma and urine calcium and phosphate, and urine sodium and protein were determined. Administration of rhIGF-I increased levels of circulating IGF-I, inulin clearances, PAH clearances, and kidney size in each of the four patients receiving the growth factor. IGF-I did not cause weight gain, natriuresis, proteinuria, or hypoglycemia. Plasma calcium and phosphate were not affected by rhIGF-I. However, the percent tubular reabsorption of filtered phosphate was increased. We conclude that administration of rhIGF-I can enhance glomerular filtration rate and renal plasma flow at least in some humans with moderately reduced renal function. The enhancement is associated with an increase in kidney volume.

There's a good possibility this excites only me.

We should all be interested in this! I am, just incase.

How are you doing Plang??

I find this exciting on a personal level also!!! Thanks for the post brother!!

unfortunatly 100 micrograms/kg of bodyweight as used in the study looks to be unrealistic....i'm 105 kg, which would mean 10500 micro or 10.5 mg (twice a day) bummer!!!
correct me if i'm wrong.....

Hoppefully lr3 and DES with better binding affinity to the igf receptor need a lesser dose. I still probably want to keep it high dose...they only admin 3 days. I'm planning eod at 400mcg. I get gfr tests weekly so I'm my
own lab rat

Hey plang out of curiosity what was your salt intake like over the last several years?
The reason why I ask is, Dr.Crisler made a comment in a thread recently at ATM about in his lectures at 4MA,he's mentioned too his peers okfto encourage people to "shake the salt on your food", within this same comment he stated salt reduction drastically increases mortality…

**broken link removed**

I did find this **broken link removed**

Hope all is well man.

Last edited:
I never really watched sodium until now. Never had an issue with water retention. Even now taking in about 3000mgs a day I have really no water retention.

Great info Plang. Thanks for sharing as it is useful for everyone. Hang in there bro and keep your head up!!

Hoppefully lr3 and DES with better binding affinity to the igf receptor need a lesser dose. I still probably want to keep it high dose...they only admin 3 days. I'm planning eod at 400mcg. I get gfr tests weekly so I'm my
own lab rat

good point, keep us updated!!!!!

good point, keep us updated!!!!!

For some reason I glazed over the numbers...I swear I read one study they used 60mcg 2x daily....also found a study showing positive benefits from 5mg of anavar in children with esrd (end stage renal disease). Unfortunately, muscle loss is highly associated with any sort of renal failure....and dialysis eats through protien. I actually was told by the dietician to increase my protein. So hopefully with igf-1 increasing gfr, hrt covering my test (low test is associated with increased mortality in dialysis patients) and possibly down the road low dose anavar and insulin for recovery I can still progress in the gym. Should I just he happy to be alive? Yes. I thank God every morning. But I am also bot going to sit idle and watch my lifes work waste away if I can help it....safely (key here). With not working as much I have to have sone hobby to fixate on.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131