over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Kidneys...15 years of bloodwork that may help you

I have a question for you as well. Sorry dude...you are just well versed with this stuff so you get the questions and honestly a lot of kidney docs don't seem to understand cystatin c that well from what I've noticed.

I saw my GP and Nephrologist today and they are both thrown by cystatin c numbers. They are always in the reference range but here is a summary after reviewing all tests over 5ish years...

19 Total tests completed

11 of them between .79-.85 (reference range .63-1.16)
8 of the tests were .31-.55

the 8 tests were dispersed evenly. Meaning, I may have 3 tests in the .81 range and then boom I get a 0.41.

I can't find any study of any even single person with cystatin c that low so my nephrologist is thinking it has to do with my thyroid and we throw those outliers away. I take 100mcg of synthroid and have been on that many years. So, it is controlled but my TSH does fluctuate.

any general thoughts? I can't find a single example of cystatin c that low or a reason it would drop like that other than thyroid. I do not take hgh.

It 'may' be that you have a high clearance rate of urinary Cystatin C. Out of curiosity you could ask your neph to pull a urinary Cystatin C along with serum to access the ratio. I don't know what a normal ratio would be, although I would like to believe your neph can readily determine this information.

Otherwise, I dunno.

It 'may' be that you have a high clearance rate of urinary Cystatin C. Out of curiosity you could ask your neph to pull a urinary Cystatin C along with serum to access the ratio. I don't know what a normal ratio would be, although I would like to believe your neph can readily determine this information.

Otherwise, I dunno.

Thanks man! I’ll inquire. He was going to thinknit over and let me know. Like I said I can’t find one single case of a human reading that low in any study.

I have a question for you as well. Sorry dude...you are just well versed with this stuff so you get the questions and honestly a lot of kidney docs don't seem to understand cystatin c that well from what I've noticed.

I saw my GP and Nephrologist today and they are both thrown by cystatin c numbers. They are always in the reference range but here is a summary after reviewing all tests over 5ish years...

19 Total Cystatin C tests completed

11 of them between .79-.85 (reference range .63-1.16)
8 of the tests were .31-.55

the 8 tests were dispersed evenly. Meaning, I may have 3 tests in the .81 range and then boom I get a 0.41.

I can't find any study of any even single person with cystatin c that low so my nephrologist is thinking it has to do with my thyroid and we throw those outliers away. I take 100mcg of synthroid and have been on that many years. So, it is controlled but my TSH does fluctuate.

any general thoughts? I can't find a single example of cystatin c that low or a reason it would drop like that other than thyroid. I do not take hgh.

I didn't read your post in great detail at first, just glanced over it. Sorry about that.

During these particular draws (lower Cys-C levels), what was your fT3 levels? Subclinical hypothyroidism with a near normal TSH or low T3 syndrome can show lowish Cys-C levels.

Also, as with many biological processes there's circadian variations that one has to take into account. Hemoglobin is one good example of this. So, I'm not sure of the absolute significance, although "if" your thyroid hormones (fT3) were subpar at these given times, this may have some interplay?

Thinking out loud here :)

In the context of it all, your neph is your best resource. I'm just an innocent bystander on a bodybuilding website :)

Last edited:
Also, as with many biological processes there's circadian variations that one has to take into account. Hemoglobin is one good example of this. So, I'm not sure of the absolute significance, although "if" your thyroid hormones (fT3) were subpar at these given times, this may have some interplay?

In the context of it all, your neph is your best resource. I'm just an innocent bystander on a bodybuilding website :)

I appreciate all the input and he said the same he wanted to evaluate all my thyroid numbers during those time periods. He also asked if I had skipped doses or not been consistent during those time periods so he is reviewing all bloods.

I got my Cystatin C done again on the 13th this week as Labcorp standardization to the ERM-DA471/IFCC certified reference material. They made the new reference range .63-1.16 (was .53-.98) and they told me all results would be 10-15% higher than previous results due to the standardization.

I was .79 on that test. So yeah...thinking out loud we are reviewing all my thyroid labs when they had those dips as .78-.85 seems to be where it stays otherwise.

and you are the best man thanks!

So you were incorrectly told at the age of 22 that you had less than a year to live because the docs didn't know how to read the blood tests?

So you were incorrectly told at the age of 22 that you had less than a year to live because the docs didn't know how to read the blood tests?

Yup...and had various patient rights involving phi grossly violated to the point if it happened today with how we are with security I bet someone would be in jail or is have a shit ton of money. It was really, really bad.

Anyway it came to a conclusion I was happy with and comfortable it would keep it from happening to others.

I love threads like this. So helpful.

Thanks Flex

I love threads like this. So helpful.

Thanks Flex

no worries man. I know on the grand scale it's a bit of a boring topic but I always enjoy reading various other members experiences as well.

I actually find think it interesting lol. Guess I’m a nerd.

Health matters to me. Not just being swole lol

Kidneys are not resilient like the liver so prevention and getting ahead of potential probs is invaluable.

I too have chronically high creatinine levels. Once in a while it will come back in range if i take a break from the gym. Have bloodwork going back 20yrs too. Had docs tell me I was in kidney failure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181213-114236_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181213-114236_Chrome.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Let me ask you a question...And for those who my ask yes I am using my doctor as a first resource yet I'd also like a practical opinion from a smart person like Stewie...

I got my cystatin c done...

Feb 8th: .85 (reference .56-.96) (this basically gave me a panic attack)
*Note reference range change before next test. From Labcorp "due to standarization of the assay all future results will have a new reference range and results will be 12-13% higher than previous results due to this standardization
Feb 14th: .8 (reference .62-1.16
March 31st: .68 (ref .62-1.16)
April 4th: .70 (ref .62-1.16)
June 1st: no cystatin c but another creatinine/microalbumin spot urine test (all normal)

Along with that I got random urine Creatinine/Microalbumin tests done on all those dates. All were normal with no detectable amount of albumin.

For some reason I'm having extreme anxiety about my kidneys. Am I being neurotic?

The crux of the issue is I seem to be in a tailspin mentally because that one reading was .85 when most of my readings have been in the .65-.75 range. I've put so much stock into cystatin c and it being an aboslutely perfect marker no matter what that if it goes up by .01 or .1 I have a total panic attack.

All other tests including cholesterol, A1C, BG, Uric Acid, liver are 100% normal and BP is 100% controlled. C reactive protein is very low at .55 so all inflammatory markers super low

The suggestion of my PC and nephrologist is this is becoming more of an anxiety issue. They basically told me since that reading it went down to .8 and then .68 and I need to chill because I'm requesting more kidney tests than people with major kidney issues.

Any thoughts in general? Should I be in an outright panic if my Cystc moves a bit?

I know I'm rambling and I'm coming to accept I may have more of an anxiety issue than anything else.

Last edited:
wtf, some of your values are close to LOW normal, NONE of your values are out of the normal range.

Looking back over your values, I don't think there is any reason to think there is anything wrong with your kidneys at all, I think your creatinine is totally normal for your size and the other tests being good back this up.

Have you even done ONE 24-hour creatinine clearance? That would settle all this BS with 1 test.

You are having what I call the "standard bodybuilder kidney scare" combined with a bad case of hypochondria equals 15 years of pointless tests and unnecessary worry.

wtf, some of your values are close to LOW normal, NONE of your values are out of the normal range.

Looking back over your values, I don't think there is any reason to think there is anything wrong with your kidneys at all, I think your creatinine is totally normal for your size and the other tests being good back this up.

Have you even done ONE 24-hour creatinine clearance? That would settle all this BS with 1 test.

You are having what I call the "standard bodybuilder kidney scare" combined with a bad case of hypochondria equals 15 years of pointless tests and unnecessary worry.

Yes sir I have done a few of the 24 hour tests. It seems for most (and def for me) they correlate really well with the spot ACR (albumin creatinine ratio) so the past years we've done that. They've all been normal both 24 hour and spot test.

I appreciate it. I don't know what kind of response I was looking for as my PC had a heart to heart with me about this and basically said he loves that I'm conscientious but I'm living like a patient with end stage kidney disease.

To be totally frank I made an appt with a shrink I recognize we all get a little paranoid but this is far beyond that and now impacting me to the point I can't hardly train anymore. I'm just on my rx'd trt now so it's also not like my numbers are ok and then I go blast tren for three months putting me at risk. Everything, including hormones are stable with just 150mgs test/week and mk677.

Last edited:

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner