YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Knee pain when squatting , Patellar tendinitis??

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
for the last few months my right knee has been bugging rhe shit out of me. Squatting at all hurts across the top of my knee cap and sitting with my knee bent for any amount of time my makes it ache badly , even just driving for 20-30 min.

I've had my chiropractor do some deep tissue therapy on it and it helps for a few hrs but thats it. I massage the shit out of it and put the TENS unit on it several times a day. Ive tried totally laying off of legs all together including limiting squatting down at all in daily life and it hasn't helped at all.

Now , i can wrap it moderately tight and squat with no problem at all , it totally relieves the pain. So the last couple weeks i just wrap my knees before i do any squats or pressing. It doesn't hurt any more or less after training it just goes right back to where its been.

Any of you guys every have this , or have any opinions on what it could be??
i take 3g of fish oil 3x a day , 1500mg Glucosamine and 1000mg condrotin 2x a day , 3,000iu Vitamin D3 3x a day.

once my insurance kicks in I'm gonna go to my orthopedic and have an MRI done , until then (60 days) should i just invest in some good knee sleeves.??

I have it in both knees. It's awful and can totally ruin any chance at an intense leg workout. I've found that foam rolling the quads really well helps along with stretching them. I do both of those every night and by the time it's leg day again I'm good to go. Lots of ice afterwards though. The day after legs it feels like my knees were smashed with a sledge. Did you feel that PT you had done on them helped at all??

I have it in both knees. It's awful and can totally ruin any chance at an intense leg workout. I've found that foam rolling the quads really well helps along with stretching them. I do both of those every night and by the time it's leg day again I'm good to go. Lots of ice afterwards though. The day after legs it feels like my knees were smashed with a sledge. Did you feel that PT you had done on them helped at all??

After therapy i can sit for alot longer (several hrs in a deer stand) but squatting down is still uncomfortable , by the next day its back to "normal"

Stretching does suck and foam rolling is extremely painful, but it has improved not only my work outs but my day to day life as well. I wish I would've started sooner.

Sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome aka runners or jumpers knee.

Until insnare kicks in, RICE (rest,ice,compress,elevate) as often as possible. Shoe inserts may help a little.

no idea on the medical terms, but many have switched their leg workouts to starting with extensions to pre exhaust quads (also some do hams/calves first so knee area is warmed up well) and them move on to squats, presses, etc. so less weight is needed , just a thought.

no idea on the medical terms, but many have switched their leg workouts to starting with extensions to pre exhaust quads (also some do hams/calves first so knee area is warmed up well) and them move on to squats, presses, etc. so less weight is needed , just a thought.

I've been doing exactly that for years ao i don't have to use as much weight or reps to really tax the legs during squats. Something a old school bodybuilder passed along to me to help with adding some life to mt knees and hips. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with my knee issue , just squating down to tie my shoes causes pain.

I get it from squatting heavy week after week. Hack squats actually flared mine back up about a month ago.

Icing both knees that night after the workout helps a TON. I sit down watch a movie that night prop my legs up and ice those babies for about an hour till there completely numb. Also laying in bed with my legs elevated very high above my heart helps with inflammation also. Idk if I really believe in a lot of foam rolling unless you are trying to break up scar tissue to me foam rolling seems like it increases inflammatory respond around my knee.

Point is icing always helps my tendinitis. It helped get rid of my tennis elbow a few months ago. If you think about it that's all tendinitis is inflammation.

Most knee pain is due to tight quads and or hip flexors. Very rarely is it actually the knee. I had issues where my quads were so tight it was causing my knees to not track properly.

Look up Kelly Starrett.

I had that on my right knee for years and an mri found I have a partial quad tendon tear, they want to cut it and repair it but because its my driving leg, I have lived with it for many years now. I completely tore the left and had repair surgery 9 months ago. If you have insurance go to an ortho doctor and see about an MRI to see exactly what it is so you don't do more damage than you already did.

Search for Kelly Starrett voodoo flossing on youtube.
I had the same issue as you, off and on for years.
The voodoo flossing worked.
Don't get the cheap knock off brand bands if you try this route.

DMSO helps me tremendously!
Also I train calves first then ext & curls followed by high rep leg presses so by the time I get to squats I'm spent.

IMO, heavy leg extensions are a horrible idea.... I agree with everybody saying to pre exhaust with some light leg extensions, but I will say I noticed a huge difference in my squatting when I would hit some type of hamstring curls before getting into squatting or doing squats like somebody else said closer to the end of a leg session.... Also another thing to pay attention to is foot/leg positioning in the leg press and squats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Professional Muscle mobile app

Most knee pain is due to tight quads and or hip flexors. Very rarely is it actually the knee. I had issues where my quads were so tight it was causing my knees to not track properly.

Look up Kelly Starrett.

Crazy as this sounds....That is also the reason for lower back pain!

A good stretching regiment is a must. I get my stretching in between sets. I DNGAF what people think when they see me stretching muscle groups unrelated to the muscle being worked. Do you...:D

I have this in both knees. It's terrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I notice with a lot of people who complain of knee pain during squats often have something mechanically wrong with how they squat... Initiating the movement with the knees instead of the hips is the most common. Box squats to proper depth can help combat this if you focus on sitting back with your hips.

Another issue is having your knees cave in while you squat.. (valgus if I remember correctly)... this can be corrected by keeping your feet straight instead of duck like.. loosening up your hips with stretching can help this as well...

Also... having collapsed arches can cause the leg to behave weirdly and possibly cave inwards as you squat..

Either way.. look into the CAUSE of the issue just as much as how to remedy it.

I notice with a lot of people who complain of knee pain during squats often have something mechanically wrong with how they squat... Initiating the movement with the knees instead of the hips is the most common. Box squats to proper depth can help combat this if you focus on sitting back with your hips.

Another issue is having your knees cave in while you squat.. (valgus if I remember correctly)... this can be corrected by keeping your feet straight instead of duck like.. loosening up your hips with stretching can help this as well...

Also... having collapsed arches can cause the leg to behave weirdly and possibly cave inwards as you squat..

Either way.. look into the CAUSE of the issue just as much as how to remedy it.
I agree i ve always been a sqautter when i blew out both knees while enlisted in the army i could not even walk up stairs, i had to rework my squat staring from scratch with a broom stick even while in pain from general movements once i started squatting again the actual sqaut never hurt my knees in fact its made other movements much bettet

Sent from my SM-G920T using Professional Muscle mobile app

Smashwerx on YouTube has some really good drills for mobility. Tried some of his stuff and it def is beneficial.

I have had the same thing for a little while now, not as bad as you but recently its been pretty bad for 2 weeks and barely could train legs.

From what my ART guy says its all due to tight quads as mentioned above and i can really tell a difference after massage as my legs feel so limber. Also i am very stiff to begin which doesn't help. I started deca about 6 weeks ago still no pain relief there but hopefully it will change soon.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity