over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Knee Revision Surgery!!!

RONJON

Kilo Klub Member
I have been back home this summer helping my mom recover from her knee replacement. She has come a long way in the 3 weeks since her surgery. Today we went to the gym and she got on the recumbent bike and did her exercises great and even did quite a bit of walking. Well on Monday she went for her check up and the doc said she was doing great and was at the "top of her class".

Today I get home from the gym to find my mom crying uncontrollably!!! The physicians assistant called and said that the Polyetheline between the femur and tibia has moved and that they are going to have to go back in for another surgery.

She is doing much better like I said...i am hoping that they read the X-Ray wrong!!! I don't know what to do now though...should she go for a second opinion???...do we have a lawsuit here?...i was pissed that the doctor didn't even call to tell my mom and he had his assistant tell her this crap. She was having such a great productive day and now she has to cry herself to sleep and get up to get driven 2 1/2 hours to deal with this tomorrow.

Any help or suggestions???:(

^ Anybody???...she is going in this afternoon

Unfortunately its far from unusual to require a second surgery in a lot of orthopedic proceedures.

Obviously I dont know the details of your Mom's case, but I know several people who have had to go back under the knife for the same operation. Its a drag.

I hope it works out for you both. Best wishes. No matter what, it sounds like you and your mom will do everything possible to make as speedy recovery as possible.

I know it's hard to see your mom hurt and upset, but forget about a lawsuit! You would have to prove negligence on the doctors part which would require all of your time and a TON of money, and the hospital has deep pockets and very well paid lawyers to tie you up and break your bank!! It's unfortunate, but just get your mom's leg repaired and start the road to recovery again. Call the doctor(your mother will have to give consent) and ask as many questions as you feel are necessary in order to feel comfortable about going through a second surgery with this doctor. Good Luck...I'm sure your mom will be okay in the end!!!

Update

My mom got home and they said that the part had indeed moved about a 1/2 inch. The doctor said "he has never seen this before." (which i found odd but whatever)...he said he did not know why it happened and said that it "could be a faulty part that they inserted"...he then called the manufacturing company and didn't really tell my parents what they told him..anyways she is having to wait 2 weeks to have the surgery and then she will have to start back from step one with the recovery. Essentially she is loosing about 4-5 weeks with this set-back. I called and got her therapy put on hold and I am going to be doing her PT until the surgery so at least my parents don't have to pay the $40 co-pay every day until the surgery. I'm pretty pissed about the situation and about having to see my mom go through the emotional trauma.

Thanks guys for the responses..at least we now know there is a problem

If you are concerned that the doctor may be at fault; then what I would do is find out the specifics from the doctor of who the manufacturer is and what parts specifically were the problematic ones? Then call the manufacturer yourself and see what they say. They would definitely be able to tell you if it is an installation problem and tell you why it happened. The bottom line is that it is either a defective part or it is an installation problem. If it turns out to be an installation problem then I would be hesitant to let the same orthopedic peform the 2nd surgery.

I am a PT and I can almost always tell how well a patient is going to do ahead of time simply by knowing who the physician is. I don't know if it is isolated to Arizona or not, but there are a hell of a lot of incompetent orthopedics out here.

you won't get any information from the manufacture trust me on that one. Like they are gonna tell you that either their part is faulty or the dr they sell to installed it wrong and loose his business forever....

ronjon I just reached out to a few people and when they get back to me I will pm you some info.

you won't get any information from the manufacture trust me on that one. Like they are gonna tell you that either their part is faulty or the dr they sell to installed it wrong and loose his business forever....

ronjon I just reached out to a few people and when they get back to me I will pm you some info.

You are correct, there is no way they are going to admit fault; but many times they are aware of problems that can occur with improper installation and more than likely if that is the cause, they would be very familiar with it. My main concern is that if it is doctor error that the OP finds out about it before he lets the same doc operate on her again. I am in way saying that this is the doctors fault; but if it is I would be hesitant to let him do a 2nd surgery.

You are correct, there is no way they are going to admit fault; but many times they are aware of problems that can occur with improper installation and more than likely if that is the cause, they would be very familiar with it. My main concern is that if it is doctor error that the OP finds out about it before he lets the same doc operate on her again. I am in way saying that this is the doctors fault; but if it is I would be hesitant to let him do a 2nd surgery.

There is just no way even if that is a risk of that certain device the company will tell you about it and in ANY way say it was installed improperly out of a court of law.

Ronjon,

sent you a few pm's just the info I got...

also was the cruciate ligament retained or sacrificed?

if they DID save it , it may have failed, thus letting the poly slip.

Last edited:
RONJON, very sorry to hear this. Damn. I bet your mom was devastated. I would be. Unfortunately, years ago when i had my knee surgery and was doing my PT, I saw several people also there that just had their knee replacements redone. I do not know the specifics in those cases though.

There is just no way even if that is a risk of that certain device the company will tell you about it and in ANY way say it was installed improperly out of a court of law.

I am not sure you are understanding what I am saying(or maybe it is the reverse). There are numerous different knee implants on the market(probably over 100) and numerous different methods of performing the surgery. Most of the reps for the implants know these surgical procedure inside out(I have witnessed many surgerys where the rep is actually helping walk the physician through the surgery). These reps take a lot of pride in their product and know the ins and outs of what can go wrong. If there was an installation problem then I am sure they would be forthright in stating so as they want to protect the repuation of their product.

As an educated guess I would say that if the implant has been on the market for a reasonable amount of time; there are going to be many other documented cases of similar failures if it is in fact a design or manufacturing defect. More than likely it is a result of improper placement/positioning, improper cementing, bad cement, or improper surface prep. Like I said earlier; if this is the case then I would be real hesitant to have the same physician perform the revision. Unfortunately however, if you do choose a different doc, it will not be easy to find someone who will touch someone elses mess.

In any event, I would recommend the OP do some serious research to find out as much as he can on what actually was the cause of the failure so that the 2nd surgery can be a success and the last surgery his mom has to endure.

"If" the implant has actually been RECALLED (which it appears it has been) then what???...do we let them do the corrective surgery? ..they are already trying to schedule it...and if not that sucks because i know my parents insurance is gunna take a hit and if we couldn't prove that it was doctor or manufacture error then my parents would have had to pay for 2 total knee operations instead of the doc not making her pay for the corrective surgery. Man what a pain in the ass..my poor mom is worried about missing birthdays and helping my little brother get set up for school and stuff and is dragging and limping pretty bad and didn't ask for any of this. I am doing my best with her PT, but she is just down in the dumps.

Thanks for the support guys. I am doing my best to lift her spirits and to let her know its just a bump in the road.

RJ

Man, that sucks, I wish you and your mom the best. Hope she gets better bro.

"If" the implant has actually been RECALLED (which it appears it has been) then what???...do we let them do the corrective surgery? ..they are already trying to schedule it...and if not that sucks because i know my parents insurance is gunna take a hit and if we couldn't prove that it was doctor or manufacture error then my parents would have had to pay for 2 total knee operations instead of the doc not making her pay for the corrective surgery. Man what a pain in the ass..my poor mom is worried about missing birthdays and helping my little brother get set up for school and stuff and is dragging and limping pretty bad and didn't ask for any of this. I am doing my best with her PT, but she is just down in the dumps.

Thanks for the support guys. I am doing my best to lift her spirits and to let her know its just a bump in the road.

RJ

The implant has been recalled? I thought she had the surgery 3 weeks ago? If they put an implant in that had already been recalled prior to the surgery than I would think you would want to consult with an attorney and find out your options. If it was a recent recall following the surgery than I am not sure what your rights are but you should in no way have to pay for another surgery; doesn't make sense and isn't fair.

based on fact.

when a recall happens that product is off the shelf in minutes. As a rep you have to have everybody and god sign papers that they cannot use implants anymore and all your sets are sent back and inventoried IMMEDIATELY.

as a rep...If and that's a big IF I was informed a patient that had my implants in them was coming back for a revision I probably wouldn't know about it unless the doc had informed me of such in which case the only person I would discuss the installation and application of my implants would be the doc and that's it..CERTAINLY not the pt's family or lawyer. Even if it was something "stupid" I saw in the OR I don't have an opinion that means shit. Only one persons does the Dr.

was there something negligent done?

you just aren't gonna get anyone to admit anything, chances are the same guy can go back in and get it right. that type of failure seems to be rare but revisions happen all the time for one reason or another. again I would want a second opinion ...

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420