over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Knee Surgery

e6er

Registered
I hurt my knee playing football 2 years ago, and instead of opting for surgery I took some GH to heal. 1 year after the incident my knee started hurting, I stopped leg exercises altogether except for calves becuase the pain was too much.

I've been training only upper body now for 1 year and my knee is getting really unstable, like a shaky chair leg.

I have been putting this off in fear that I will be out of the gym for a while.

I have an appt tomorrow with an Ortho and he's going to send me for an MRI.

Have any of you gone through Knee surgery? If so what was your ailment and how long was recovery.

Both Knees.......

ACL in the right knee. Slight Quad tendon tear in the left with continuous, nearly debilitating, tendonitis.

Beleive it or not the ACL was easier and is back to near normal. I was running straight line again after about 6 weeks but not able (allowed) to cut for about 3-4 months.

The quad tendonitis is the worst. limits nearly everyhting I do, even after going through 4 months of prolotherapy end of last year. Granted its much much better than before but my days of being under a squat bar are long gone.

ACL in the right knee. Slight Quad tendon tear in the left with continuous, nearly debilitating, tendonitis.

Beleive it or not the ACL was easier and is back to near normal. I was running straight line again after about 6 weeks but not able (allowed) to cut for about 3-4 months.

The quad tendonitis is the worst. limits nearly everyhting I do, even after going through 4 months of prolotherapy end of last year. Granted its much much better than before but my days of being under a squat bar are long gone.

I have tendonitis in my wrist and elbow, it's horrible so I could imagibe it in the quads.

The problem seems to be in my ACL, pain in the side and at the top of the kneecap. Almost a pulling sensation followed up with a sharp stabbing pain. Cold weather and Rain, my knee is hurting pretty bad.

I'm thinking if surgery is required I may be able to hit up the rehab weights and Hammer Strength.

wow... this all really sucks... i just busted my knee on friday. had a horrible workout and then fell down a couple of steps. i have been limping around since then icing it and then elevating it. should i go to the doctor or ride it out?

wow... this all really sucks... i just busted my knee on friday. had a horrible workout and then fell down a couple of steps. i have been limping around since then icing it and then elevating it. should i go to the doctor or ride it out?

If you have insurance by all means go now. I was an idiot and waited because I was 'sure' it was only twisted. I played football 2 weeks later and it was really bad after. Turns out the ACL had poped the first time.

Hey look on the bright side...you can still do upper body. No joke, 2 days after ACL surgery I was benching.... albeit on painkillers. Although those were the young and dumb days of my youth.

I tore my ACL, Meniscus, PCL, and sprained my MCL, wrestling and working out last year. I had surgery in Nov with a cadaver graft. I was allowed to start doing light squats, i.e. body weight after about 6 weeks, at 9 weeks I was back to lifting but nothing super heavy, at 12 weeks I was given the ok by the surgeon to resume all lifting heavy or otherwise. I'm pretty much clear to do anything in a straight line, so no cuts, court sports, football, rugby, wrestling, etc. I'd say have the surgery sooner rather then later, if your ACL is torn you are putting your meniscus and everything else at risk.

I have had two surgeries on my right knee... Torn patellar tendon the first time with cartilage damage to the patella and second time, torn MCL, lateral release and more cartilage damage repair. The first time was nothing, I just needed to let it rest and I was alot younger, it healed easily. The second time wasn't as good due to the excessive cartilage damage, I haven't bounced back as quickly and my quad has lost alot of strength. I was stupid too and continued lifting and sports even though I had swelling and pain in the joint. So if you have pain, I would go in right away because if you have cartilage damage, you can make it worse by trying to work through it.

I tore my ACL, Meniscus, PCL, and sprained my MCL, wrestling and working out last year. I had surgery in Nov with a cadaver graft. I was allowed to start doing light squats, i.e. body weight after about 6 weeks, at 9 weeks I was back to lifting but nothing super heavy, at 12 weeks I was given the ok by the surgeon to resume all lifting heavy or otherwise. I'm pretty much clear to do anything in a straight line, so no cuts, court sports, football, rugby, wrestling, etc. I'd say have the surgery sooner rather then later, if your ACL is torn you are putting your meniscus and everything else at risk.

It looks to be my Meniscus, they're not sure how much damage there is so I'll find out shortly when I go for my MRI. I too can not cut when running and the only cardio I can do is a fast walk.

It looks to be my Meniscus, they're not sure how much damage there is so I'll find out shortly when I go for my MRI. I too can not cut when running and the only cardio I can do is a fast walk.

if you have to have a knee problem thats probably the best one to have, so you are kinda lucky I suppose. Usually they will go in arthoscopically and clip the loose meniscus and you are good to go. Prob no serious activity on that leg for a couple weeks and it should start to feel better with ice etc.

horrible knee injury and surgery

Kind of a long story here I posted in another thread, but relevant to this thread as well.
I'm 42, been lifting relatively heavy since I was 16, including heavy squats and presses up to 3x a week in my early 20's. No real pain until I played softball for 2 or 3 seasons, then squatting bothered me, so I either did them light, or just presses, but pain was there almost always, kind of a nagging pain. Occaisionally I'd feel okay and do some light squats, up to 315 for 12 - 15 reps, but there are times I'd go 6 months unable to do anything but light press and stairstepper.
Recently, I've been able to get back into squats, not really heavy, but as heavy as I've been in 10 years with little / no pain ... 405 3 sets x 8 reps (not failure). I've slipped a disc in my back before, so I'm reluctant to go to failure.
Well, on Feb 25 2010, I went to do squats in the rack at the gym, warmed up on the bike 10 mins, 3x light extensions and curls, 2 x 135 15 reps, 2 x 225 12 (no pain), 1 x 315 12 reps easy no pain, 405 1 x 8 reps easy no pain, then on 2nd set of 405, on the 4th rep or so, on the way up my right knee "snapped", sensation of breaking bone, then left knee did the same. I had the safety rack in place just beow paralell, so I only fell about 3 inches, but I had no control over my lower legs, could not raise my foot with the extension movement at all. Went to the ER via ambulance, had a bilateral quadricep tendon rupture, torn completely off the bone on both legs, and surgery the next day to repair. Now I'm in double full length casts for 6 more weeks, then PT. Doc said there was evidence of prior partial separation from the patellar, which was where my pain came from prior. So, don't just mask the pain and keep moving, try to get it assessed. I won't be doing any leg exercises aside from PT for at least 6 months. Then doc says in theory my surgical corrections should result in as strong tendons as before if not better, and in theory I should be able to squat again, but, never ever. That was the scariest shyt I've ever been through.
I was qualified t go to IFBB Nationals in the Masters and Open this summer, but that is down the drain now, and I have a 12 - 15" scar on each leg to show for it. BE CAREFUL FOLKS !

Kind of a long story here I posted in another thread, but relevant to this thread as well.
I'm 42, been lifting relatively heavy since I was 16, including heavy squats and presses up to 3x a week in my early 20's. No real pain until I played softball for 2 or 3 seasons, then squatting bothered me, so I either did them light, or just presses, but pain was there almost always, kind of a nagging pain. Occaisionally I'd feel okay and do some light squats, up to 315 for 12 - 15 reps, but there are times I'd go 6 months unable to do anything but light press and stairstepper.
Recently, I've been able to get back into squats, not really heavy, but as heavy as I've been in 10 years with little / no pain ... 405 3 sets x 8 reps (not failure). I've slipped a disc in my back before, so I'm reluctant to go to failure.
Well, on Feb 25 2010, I went to do squats in the rack at the gym, warmed up on the bike 10 mins, 3x light extensions and curls, 2 x 135 15 reps, 2 x 225 12 (no pain), 1 x 315 12 reps easy no pain, 405 1 x 8 reps easy no pain, then on 2nd set of 405, on the 4th rep or so, on the way up my right knee "snapped", sensation of breaking bone, then left knee did the same. I had the safety rack in place just beow paralell, so I only fell about 3 inches, but I had no control over my lower legs, could not raise my foot with the extension movement at all. Went to the ER via ambulance, had a bilateral quadricep tendon rupture, torn completely off the bone on both legs, and surgery the next day to repair. Now I'm in double full length casts for 6 more weeks, then PT. Doc said there was evidence of prior partial separation from the patellar, which was where my pain came from prior. So, don't just mask the pain and keep moving, try to get it assessed. I won't be doing any leg exercises aside from PT for at least 6 months. Then doc says in theory my surgical corrections should result in as strong tendons as before if not better, and in theory I should be able to squat again, but, never ever. That was the scariest shyt I've ever been through.
I was qualified t go to IFBB Nationals in the Masters and Open this summer, but that is down the drain now, and I have a 12 - 15" scar on each leg to show for it. BE CAREFUL FOLKS !

Wow. A guy I know that used to compete in Nationals knew someone that had the very same thing happen to them. Tore both tendons in both legs. I cannot imagine what its like for you coming back from that. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully some others will have their knees looked at before assuming its just a strain.

if you have to have a knee problem thats probably the best one to have, so you are kinda lucky I suppose. Usually they will go in arthoscopically and clip the loose meniscus and you are good to go. Prob no serious activity on that leg for a couple weeks and it should start to feel better with ice etc.

Amen on this. If you tear an ACL or other ligament, no GH in the world will make it grow back. I was given a choice: give up sports or get surgery on my ACL. Being 27 at the time, I chose surgery. Used my own tendon rather than a cadaver -- this is a longer rehab, but less odds of the ligament stretching/getting loose over time. The surgery was cake. The rehab sucked. Meniscus repairs are a LOT easier.

Just find a great ortho. I has PPO insurance at the time, so I asked around about who did knees for professional atheles in my area, figuring if people whose entire career depends on the outcome of the surgery choose them, it's good enough for me.

The mental issue post surgery was worse than the physical one. You seem to lose "trust" in that knee, thinking it will happen again. I was in the gym 16 days after surgery doing leg presses with no weight, but it was a little too early -- I tore stitches and bled everywhere. I learned to deal with it, and 6 months later, I was going 100% in everything. Though it took me another year to trust the knee enough to make a hard "cut" in a sport. Nowadays, I don't even remember I had the surgery.

Good luck to you!

i need relief!!!!!!

sup fellas, on monday march 15, 2010 it was the usual leg day for me,ive been working out for 7 or 8 yrs now im 26. I work out legs on monday and on fridays but with less intensity. I had stretched, done hip adductors and abductors, calves and hams, leg extensions, hack squat and on my last set of leg presses i had about 1,100 lbs. i was using knee wraps and on the 4th rep i felt the lower part of my vastus lateralus snap or pop, i screamed like a bitch and dont know how i got it up to rack it. my friends helped my to my car and stuff. The MRI results were muscle contusions, ruptured blood vessel, tear in distal part of vastus intermidius, tear in middle part of vastus lateralus, hematoma in the suprapatellar bursa, HUGE swelling of leg and knee, slight tear in quad tendon, the orthopedic says my muscles are still attached just slightly torn. my surgey is scheduled for april 5. i keep having flashe of when it happened, asking my self what did i do wrong its something im used to doing i could lift that weight for 15 reps, was it the knee wraps on too tight, the constant6 to 7 day training, the juice?, i cant see how the hell this happened. I know some of you guys have had worse, do u think il be the same again after the surgery and rehad? The thing is ive been ready to compete for about 2 yrs now but am always with that thought that not yet, wait till you get even bigger and stuff. besides being an elementary school teacher and living with my girl all i do is eat,shit,sleep and live body building, any advice comments, hlep, suggestions, ohh yeah and i should stay off all the gear right with the surgery and all? ive heard that it prolongs the healing after surgery, but i did read this study on how it can actually strengthen and help repair tendons, thanks guys and sorry for the short post :D lol

sup fellas, on monday march 15, 2010 it was the usual leg day for me,ive been working out for 7 or 8 yrs now im 26. I work out legs on monday and on fridays but with less intensity. I had stretched, done hip adductors and abductors, calves and hams, leg extensions, hack squat and on my last set of leg presses i had about 1,100 lbs. i was using knee wraps and on the 4th rep i felt the lower part of my vastus lateralus snap or pop, i screamed like a bitch and dont know how i got it up to rack it. my friends helped my to my car and stuff. The MRI results were muscle contusions, ruptured blood vessel, tear in distal part of vastus intermidius, tear in middle part of vastus lateralus, hematoma in the suprapatellar bursa, HUGE swelling of leg and knee, slight tear in quad tendon, the orthopedic says my muscles are still attached just slightly torn. my surgey is scheduled for april 5. i keep having flashe of when it happened, asking my self what did i do wrong its something im used to doing i could lift that weight for 15 reps, was it the knee wraps on too tight, the constant6 to 7 day training, the juice?, i cant see how the hell this happened. I know some of you guys have had worse, do u think il be the same again after the surgery and rehad? The thing is ive been ready to compete for about 2 yrs now but am always with that thought that not yet, wait till you get even bigger and stuff. besides being an elementary school teacher and living with my girl all i do is eat,shit,sleep and live body building, any advice comments, hlep, suggestions, ohh yeah and i should stay off all the gear right with the surgery and all? ive heard that it prolongs the healing after surgery, but i did read this study on how it can actually strengthen and help repair tendons, thanks guys and sorry for the short post :D lol

See my post above. I'm now about 4 weeks post OP for two quad tendon ruptures (complete, ripped off the bone). Doc said there was evidence there were small tears that happened over the years, but this was the last straw. The weight wasnt much, just 405, but the doc said the tendon had become weak, yet the muscles were still strong (he said that is usually an indication of over use of steroids), but all he knows is I am on HRT dosages, which is true (now:eek:). He said if the surgery went well, and he beieves it did, I should be better than before in about 6 months. I'm way older than you (42), so it's not too unheard of for me to be injured, just a bilateral rupture is pretty uncommon in any age group. Just have to be patient and do what they say.

Amen on this. If you tear an ACL or other ligament, no GH in the world will make it grow back. I was given a choice: give up sports or get surgery on my ACL. Being 27 at the time, I chose surgery. Used my own tendon rather than a cadaver -- this is a longer rehab, but less odds of the ligament stretching/getting loose over time. The surgery was cake. The rehab sucked. Meniscus repairs are a LOT easier.

Just find a great ortho. I has PPO insurance at the time, so I asked around about who did knees for professional atheles in my area, figuring if people whose entire career depends on the outcome of the surgery choose them, it's good enough for me.

The mental issue post surgery was worse than the physical one. You seem to lose "trust" in that knee, thinking it will happen again. I was in the gym 16 days after surgery doing leg presses with no weight, but it was a little too early -- I tore stitches and bled everywhere. I learned to deal with it, and 6 months later, I was going 100% in everything. Though it took me another year to trust the knee enough to make a hard "cut" in a sport. Nowadays, I don't even remember I had the surgery.

Good luck to you!

5 years post op acl surgery i still dont fully "trust" my right knee. squats, leg press, quad extensions....no problemo, basketball or wakeboarding....i avoid.

i had to have two screws put into my knee..man that sucked and was the worst yr of my life..all the physical therapy and obstacles i had to over come to just be back to where i was. it took atleast 2-3 yrs for me to even feel comfortable to start jumping on it..and finally back to squating.

i hope i never have to go through that again

Me too!

So true -- to the OP, getting your knee scoped is the most minorist of surgeries you can have for a knee. Depending on how much they "shave" off (they took 1/3 of mine) you will prob suffer from Arthritis in 10 + years.

What AAS were you running? Was it Stanozolol?

I had the infamous triad injury, I had two bone bruises, torn MCL, ACL to a stump, and two seperate tears in the meniscus. I had my patellar tendon used as a graft, instead of my hamstring tendon or from a cadaver. The recovery was slow and painful. I still do not squat, but do everything else, as I still have trust issues with it. Now, if the pressure changes, I get a little ache in it, and sure enough, a day later it rains. I also have a little numb spot on the outer perimeter of the knee-cap.

Last edited:
So true -- to the OP, getting your knee scoped is the most minorist of surgeries you can have for a knee. Depending on how much they "shave" off (they took 1/3 of mine) you will prob suffer from Arthuritis in 10 + years.

What AAS were you running? Was it Stanozolol?

I had the infamous triad injury, I had two bone bruises, torn MCL, ACL to a stump, and two seperate tears in the meniscus. I had my patellar tendon used as a graft, instead of my hamstring tendon or from a cadaver. The recovery was slow and painful. I still do not squat, but do everything else, as I still have trust issues with it. Now, if the pressure changes, I get a little ache in it, and sure enough, a day later it rains. I also have a little numb spot on the outer perimeter of the knee-cap.

my exact experience, right down to the numb spot. except i feel fine squatting.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear