over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

knee wraps? Its not golds,its olds!

Azwrkoutcrw

Registered
Do most of you guys use knee wraps when going heavy on leg press? Some old geezer powerlifter guys( 70+) at the gym told me ," Its not a good idea to use them on the leg press,only on squats". They said it can be worst on your knees!I've never heard that anywhere? So I told them in a nice way "You guys are full of shit"! I hope I was right! P.S. Respect your alders!

Quit Using Them

I don't use them at all any more. I've been lifting for 30 years and my knees used to kill me back in my 20's when I DID use knee wraps. They felt great during the workout, but the rest of the time they just ached.

Now I just refuse to wrap them. I'm not interested in setting any records, just building muscle, and I don't think the wraps help build muscle. My advice, as an old guy, but not a geezer yet, leave the wraps at home for most workouts. Just one man's opinion FWIW.

I use them. they do keep my old knees warm and safe . I use the ones that are not too hard so there is less pressure on the knees and no pain after.

I don't use them at all any more. I've been lifting for 30 years and my knees used to kill me back in my 20's when I DID use knee wraps. They felt great during the workout, but the rest of the time they just ached.

Now I just refuse to wrap them. I'm not interested in setting any records, just building muscle, and I don't think the wraps help build muscle. My advice, as an old guy, but not a geezer yet, leave the wraps at home for most workouts. Just one man's opinion FWIW.

interestingly enough, im exactly the opposite. i trained for years without knee wraps, and my knees killed me, and i was even looking at knee replacement because of the pain. now, since i started using wraps for the past 4-5 years, my knees feel a lot better, my gains are better (because i can handle heavier loads). its just a personal preference, i suppose.

to answer the OP. i dont get why you cant use wraps on presses LOL... it doesnt make sense.

HEAVY DUTY PAIR OF KNEE WRAPS?

I use them. they do keep my old knees warm and safe . I use the ones that are not too hard so there is less pressure on the knees and no pain after.
I was going to buy a heavy duty pair, but do you think I should just stick to my $8 Dollars- soft pair? They seem to be working just fine! Thanx

a heavy duty pair like ones from apex or Titan will take some getting used to, if you just want some warmth and a bit of tension Titan Support Systems has red devil wraps for $16.50...

i dont wrap them but i use the knee sleeves from rehband and they have saved my knees. I say use what works for you and use what keeps you in the gym.

If they were 70+ and still gettin it, they probably know something.
People don't make it to old age by being stupid.

I always used Inzer brand knee wraps. those suckers last a long time and provide the best support ive ever felt.

I would always wear my knee wraps if I was squating 405 lbs or more or leg pressing over about 800lbs or so. Doing leg presses with over 1000 lbs without knee wraps is just begging for a serious injury IMO. Now if youre a beginnger and dont squat more than say 315 lbs and dont leg press a whole lot, i wouldnt use them. I do feel like its better at low weights not to use them because it does strengthen them more IMO. Thats just my opinion though. If you want to be real safe, wear them all of the time other than just warm ups or high rep sets of say 15+ reps or more. Better safe than sorry.

Once I got my weights up high enough, the knee wraps became essential to avoiding knee pain. I might add, even if my knees were sore I could wrap them really tight and get out sets with 455 lbs+ with no pain,lol. Not a good idea really, but I was really addicted to lifting.

I was going to buy a heavy duty pair, but do you think I should just stick to my $8 Dollars- soft pair? They seem to be working just fine! Thanx

I use APT red blue and white. they are soft but give plenty of support.

I'm 57, training for 40+ years and I use wraps for leg press when I get over 8 plates a side.... but I don't wrap them tightly anymore. When I was powerlifting, we used to stretch them to the max when going very heavy, to the point your feet would turn just about blue. The first thing that had to happen after a lift/set would be get the damn things off so your feet could get some blood.
Light to medium tension now helps me feel stable and allows me to move a little more weight. Wrapping tightly actually hurts me.

interestingly enough, im exactly the opposite. i trained for years without knee wraps, and my knees killed me, and i was even looking at knee replacement because of the pain. now, since i started using wraps for the past 4-5 years, my knees feel a lot better, my gains are better (because i can handle heavier loads). its just a personal preference, i suppose.

to answer the OP. i dont get why you cant use wraps on presses LOL... it doesnt make sense.

Exactly the same scenario for me. My knees feel so much better all the time now that i reverted back to wrapping on heavier sets. I was actually able to start some light squatting again when I went back to wraps last year. I remember when I first started training in the late 80's early 90's at a hard core dungeon of a powerlifitng gym the guy who held the PA state deadlift record told me he wrapped for any squat over 225...just to protect his knees. Its funny how things like that stick with you...

Exactly the same scenario for me. My knees feel so much better all the time now that i reverted back to wrapping on heavier sets. I was actually able to start some light squatting again when I went back to wraps last year. I remember when I first started training in the late 80's early 90's at a hard core dungeon of a powerlifitng gym the guy who held the PA state deadlift record told me he wrapped for any squat over 225...just to protect his knees. Its funny how things like that stick with you...

Yep. To me if you want to be in the sport for a lifetime, you need to wrap. I started many many young guys wrapping their knees at the last gym I was at, and never heard anything other than positive results and comments. To me its as mandatory as doing heavy squats with a good powerlifting belt. Id never do heavy squats with no belt or one of those crappy bodybuilding belts. A good Inzer is going to save your back.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131