over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

L-Glutamine

preist943

Registered
L-Glutamine

dont remember where this came from i had it on my comp

Glutamine - Frequently Asked Questions

What Is Glutamine?
Glutamine is a neutral, genetically coded Amino Acid and is the most common naturally occurring amino acid found in muscle tissue. Over 61% of skeletal muscle tissue is Glutamine. Glutamine is not an essential amino acid as it is a derivative of Glutamic acid which can be synthesized from the amino acids arginine, ornithine and proline.

What does Glutamine do?
Glutamine's has a unique structure consisting of 19% nitrogen which makes it the primary transporter of nitrogen into the muscle cell. It is responsible for 35% of the nitrogen that reaches the muscle cells where it is synthesized for growth. Glutamine is widely used to maintain good brain functioning, it improves mental alertness, clarity of thinking and mood.

What are the Benefits of L-Glutamine Supplementation?
Many research studies have shown that supplementation with L-Glutamine can achieve the following:

Increased Protein Synthesis: (Muscle Building) - Glutamine has been clearly linked to increased protein synthesis. It spares the muscle tissue being catabolized (see below) in order to provide glutamine for other cells in the body, therefore allowing the muscle tissue to use glutamine to synthesize new protein tissue.
Decreased Catabolism (The Breakdown Of Muscle Tissue) Catabolism occurs when Glutamine leaves the muscle causing the cells discharge water and become dehydrated. L-Glutamine supplementation ensures that high levels of Glutamine are maintained within the cells meaning no discharge of water or Catabolism.
Prevent Glutamine depletion in muscles after workouts. Under periods of stress, including hard and intensive workouts, your body may not be able to make all of the Glutamine that it requires. Studies have shown that supplementing with L-glutamine is effective in the replacement of these declining levels.
Elevate Growth Hormone levels. It has been proven that L-Glutamine supplementation can have a positive effect on growth hormone levels. A recent study has showed that a small 2 gram oral dose of L-Glutamine caused an increase in growth hormone levels by over 430%.
May support our immune system. Some studies have also shown that L-Glutamine may serve to boost our immune system.
Why Should I Consider L-Glutamine Supplementation?
Researchers are suggesting that Glutamine is the most important amino acid to the bodybuilder. It provides a component in muscle metabolism and cellular support not shared by any other single amino acid, making the benefits of L-Glutamine supplementation a realistic venture.
Note: L-Glutamine has been proven to promote weight gain and body cell mass in people with AIDS and other muscle wasting diseases.

How Much L-Glutamine Should I Supplement With?
The suggested amount for L-Glutamine supplementation is between 8-20 grams per day depending on your dietary intake and intensity of exercise. Many experts recommend that this be split into doses of between 4 and 6 grams for the most effective use. Before buying an L-Glutamine supplement, be sure to check out the L-Glutamine levels in your current Protein Supplement as some companies have begun adding effective amounts of L-Gutamine per serving. Most Protein Supplements already contain around 2 grams of L-Glutamine. Are There Any Side Effects To L-Glutamine Supplementation? No. There are no known side effects to supplementing with L-Glutamine.

Oral Glutamine doesnt do jack shit, especially if your on a high protein diet. Try sub gram doses sublingually this way we attempt to bypass the GI that soaks that shit up like a sponge. BTW The research has begun to get an oral version that will work like its supposed too. Stay in tune with Animal on that one.

I don't know BJ, I've read those articles that you guys have posted over at A's board and not sure I agree. Not saying the articles arn't legit, but I do notice a big difference when using glutamine, than when I'm not. Just food for thought.

I tend to go with works in terms of results. So, if you notice a difference between using and not using, then for you, Im all for it. IMO boatloading protein in far more cost effective then glutamine supplementation.

BTW, Im noticed increased *fuller* muscles while high dosing Taurine. Taurine is one of the most underrated free aminos out there for BBing. It can be had by the kilo (no, not crapposports) for under 20 bucks.

I've gotten my dosing up to 20 grams a day and with nothing but postive effect. 8-12 grams is a good starter (as per Animal).

BrooklynJuice said:
I've gotten my dosing up to 20 grams a day and with nothing but postive effect. 8-12 grams is a good starter (as per Animal).
The 8-12g is also what Animal told me to take for Clen cramps.

xcel

Ripped from Animals board:

"Since taurine also affects the hypothalamus to help regulate body temperature, a higher dose can decrease your temperature & give chilliness, so be aware of that.

Taurine also plays a role in memory & increases the level of a memory neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, in the brain (in animal studies).

And here for your High Bp and fatness!

CARDIOVASCULAR: Taurine is the most abundant amino acid in the heart, a particularly electrically excitable tissue, as are the brain & eye. Since taurine participates in electrical stabilization of the cell membranes & the normal regulation of nerve-muscle interaction, it is useful in heart irregularities & mitral valve prolapse, acting similarly to a calcium channel blocker (a class of drugs used in CV Disease) Taurine also helps control high blood pressure & is useful in congestive heart failure.

DIABETES: Taurine affects carbohydrate metabolism. It potentiates the effect of insulin, enhances glucose utilization & glycogen (stored glucose) synthesis.

FAT METABOLISM: Taurine reduces cholesterol by forming bile acids which are the end products of cholesterol breakdown & are the only route for eliminating cholesterol from the body. This action requires a functioning gall bladder. Taurine has an inhibitory effect on the formation of cholesterol gall stones. It is required for efficient fat absorption & solubilization. It is helpful in states of fat malabsorption such as with cystic fibrosis & other pancreatic deficiency syndromes"

glutamin and the intestines...

Hey all,

I think most of the research on glutamine is showing its relationship to gut health. Glutamine is a source of food for the cells that line the intestinal wall and are responsible for absorbing nutrients. If these cells do not function optimally then you are not absorbing all those supplements and heaps of food efficiently which may lead to less muscle growth.

I find it interesting that with the amount of stress we put on our digestive systems (ie...2000-8000 calorie nutrition programs) not many of us even consider gut health as something to be concerned with. When was the last time you consumed a pro or pre biotic?
:)

I say just up your protein.

Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults.

Candow DG, Chilibeck PD, Burke DG, Davison KS, Smith-Palmer T.

College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 14 during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P < 0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.

The effects of high-dose glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance

Antonio J, Sanders MS, Kalman D, Woodgate D, Street C.

Sports Science Laboratory, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA.

The purpose of this study was to determine if high-dose glutamine ingestion affected weightlifting performance. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study, 6 resistance-trained men (mean +/- SE: age, 21.5 +/- 0.3 years; weight, 76.5 +/- 2.8 kg(-1)) performed weightlifting exercises after the ingestion of glutamine or glycine (0.3 g x kg(-1)) mixed with calorie-free fruit juice or placebo (calorie-free fruit juice only). Each subject underwent each of the 3 treatments in a randomized order. One hour after ingestion, subjects performed 4 total sets of exercise to momentary muscular failure (2 sets of leg presses at 200% of body weight, 2 sets of bench presses at 100% of body weight). There were no differences in the average number of maximal repetitions performed in the leg press or bench press exercises among the 3 groups. These data indicate that the short-term ingestion of glutamine does not enhance weightlifting performance in resistance-trained men.

The effect of free glutamine and peptide ingestion on the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis in man.

van Hall G, Saris WH, van de Schoor PA, Wagenmakers AJ.

Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, The Netherlands. [email protected]

The present study investigated previous claims that ingestion of glutamine and of protein-carbohydrate mixtures may increase the rate of glycogen resynthesis following intense exercise. Eight trained subjects were studied during 3 h of recovery while consuming one of four drinks in random order. Drinks were ingested in three 500 ml boluses, immediately after exercise and then after 1 and 2 h of recovery. Each bolus of the control drink contained 0.8 g x kg(-1) body weight of glucose. The other drinks contained the same amount of glucose and 0.3 g x kg(-1) body weight of 1) glutamine, 2) a wheat hydrolysate (26% glutamine) and 3) a whey hydrolysate (6.6% glutamine). Plasma glutamine, decreased by approximately 20% during recovery with ingestion of the control drink, no changes with ingestion of the protein hydrolysates drinks, and a 2-fold increase with ingestion of the free glutamine drinks. The rate of glycogen resynthesis was not significantly different in the four tests: 28 +/- 5, 26 +/- 6, 33 +/- 4, and 34 +/- 3 mmol glucosyl units x kg(-1) dry weight muscle x h(-1) for the control, glutamine, wheat- and whey hydrolysate ingestion, respectively. It is concluded that ingestion of a glutamine/carbohydrate mixture does not increase the rate of glycogen resynthesis in muscle. Glycogen resynthesis rates were higher, although not statistically significant, after ingestion of the drink containing the wheat (21 +/- 8%) and whey protein hydrolysate (20 +/- 6%) compared to ingestion of the control and free glutamine drinks, implying that further research is needed on the potential protein effect.

Exercise-induced immunodepression- plasma glutamine is not the link.

Hiscock N, Pedersen BK.

Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre and Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark.

The amino acid glutamine is known to be important for the function of some immune cells in vitro. It has been proposed that the decrease in plasma glutamine concentration in relation to catabolic conditions, including prolonged, exhaustive exercise, results in a lack of glutamine for these cells and may be responsible for the transient immunodepression commonly observed after acute, exhaustive exercise. It has been unclear, however, whether the magnitude of the observed decrease in plasma glutamine concentration would be great enough to compromise the function of immune cells. In fact, intracellular glutamine concentration may not be compromised when plasma levels are decreased postexercise. In addition, a number of recent intervention studies with glutamine feeding demonstrate that, although the plasma concentration of glutamine is kept constant during and after acute, strenuous exercise, glutamine supplementation does not abolish the postexercise decrease in in vitro cellular immunity, including low lymphocyte number, impaired lymphocyte proliferation, impaired natural killer and lymphokine-activated killer cell activity, as well as low production rate and concentration of salivary IgA. It is concluded that, although the glutamine hypothesis may explain immunodepression related to other stressful conditions such as trauma and burn, plasma glutamine concentration is not likely to play a mechanistic role in exercise-induced immunodepression

WOW!

Are we still on this??

BJ I am still going to respond to the other post bro.

With references since you like those. :)

I personally love glutamine supplementation. Gives me strength gains like no other over the counter supp. But it definately varies and I think most of the guys I've recommended it to, dont get much from it. But I like it. :rolleyes:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws