over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

labrum surgery and recovery question

bdodge

Registered
So I am 2 months post surgery.....
Doc does not want me doing anything but body weight range of motion for another 6 weeks....this sucks.

Here is my issue.....I have full range of motion with just body weight. If I pick up any weight in just regular day to day movement of my shoulder it seems to be ok...but I haven't lifted anything heavy...

now if i have any resistance my medial and posterial delts ie my trainer resisting with her hand or very light resistance bands my delts wont fire......I can push as hard as I can ....body shaking, going red etc. but they will hardly engage at all.
How can I get over what seems to be a neurological issue rather then a physical issue...I have very little atrophy, the mass is still similar to my left but there is NO strength.
Plus when I am done trying for 8 or 10 lifts I feel like I have run a marathon.

I had my labrum repaired after 4 years of college football. Its a long recovery and sucks. Its just going to take some time. My best advice is to listen to your physical therapist. Do exactly as they say. I thought i was ready about 4 months post surgery because everything was going so well and I didn't have pain in anything anymore. Went in for a lift and hit some light pressing movements for chest, shoulders, and tris and everything went well during the workout. Went to bed that night and woke up in the middle of the night with shooting pains in my shoulder and decided it would be best to listen to my therapist completely. 2 months later I was back lifting and getting my strength back and now am stronger than before the surgery.

So I am 2 months post surgery.....
Doc does not want me doing anything but body weight range of motion for another 6 weeks....this sucks.

Here is my issue.....I have full range of motion with just body weight. If I pick up any weight in just regular day to day movement of my shoulder it seems to be ok...but I haven't lifted anything heavy...

now if i have any resistance my medial and posterial delts ie my trainer resisting with her hand or very light resistance bands my delts wont fire......I can push as hard as I can ....body shaking, going red etc. but they will hardly engage at all.
How can I get over what seems to be a neurological issue rather then a physical issue...I have very little atrophy, the mass is still similar to my left but there is NO strength.
Plus when I am done trying for 8 or 10 lifts I feel like I have run a marathon.

I know the feeling man—had my labrum surgically repaired twice after 4 years of college football.

But I would hold off on making any self-diagnosis especially since you are 8 weeks post surgery...literally, you have a long ways to go rehab and you don't really know how your shoulder is going to react with more rehab.

My advice would be to listen to your physical therapist and take your time. I went back to benching 400+ post surgery but it took awhile. My should (left one) is definitely beyond repair now...2 surgeries ended up leading to osteoarthritis (at age 22 when I was diagnosed) and terrible ROM (PT did not help this)....I've had to modify EVERY chest exercise because of this.

This is an injury that if you don't take care of, can bite you in the ass so take your time dude.

Best of luck!

I've had my labrum repaired twice as well, also from college football.

My advice to you is NOT to rush back and go beyond what the therapist is recommending. I rushed back on the first attempt and ended up losing alot of permanent ROM because I was over eager with training and partially detached what they initially fixed.

Because of this, I am stuck with hammer strength machines and an occasional db press for chest to keep my symmetry. My shoulder workouts have become pretty very creative as well.

Stay the coarse and follow the pt's guidelines. In the long run it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
I had My labrum repaired after I tore it benching, give it time, be patient and You'll get almost all of Your strength and range back

I've had my labrum repaired twice as well, also from college football.

My advice to you is NOT to rush back and go beyond what the therapist is recommending. I rushed back on the first attempt and ended up losing alot of permanent ROM because I was over eager with training and partially detached what they initially fixed.

Because of this, I am stuck with hammer strength machines and an occasional db press for chest to keep my symmetry. My shoulder workouts have become pretty very creative as well.

Stay the coarse and follow the pt's guidelines. In the long run it'll be worth it.

I do the same stuff do. Hammer Strength Incline Press and weighted dips are my go-to chest exercises (very weird that dips does NOT bother my shoulder)....my external rotation ROM is pretty much non-existant now...and that's after MULTIPLE trips to different Physical Therapists.

I do the same stuff do. Hammer Strength Incline Press and weighted dips are my go-to chest exercises (very weird that dips does NOT bother my shoulder)....my external rotation ROM is pretty much non-existant now...and that's after MULTIPLE trips to different Physical Therapists.

Its awful. I constantly feel that my left pec is tight/sore near the insertion by the shoulder. Its mostly in my head but I do all hammer strength,db and dips because I am trying to keep my symmetry. Declines and dips dont hurt at all but anything flat or incline puts stress on it.

Its awful. I constantly feel that my left pec is tight/sore near the insertion by the shoulder. Its mostly in my head but I do all hammer strength,db and dips because I am trying to keep my symmetry. Declines and dips dont hurt at all but anything flat or incline puts stress on it.

100% agree man.

Tried doing what Jim Wendler did (he had a baad shoulder too and moved EVERYTHING CG)...still no success.. I actually ended up separating my AC joint benching like that.

Injuries are god awful and they have literally made me leave my ego at the door when it comes to chest/shoulder work.

Only machine side laterals for shoulders here and even on back...I LOVE pullups and have had to make the change to ONLY neutral grip pullups now.

8 years of riding bulls professionally took its toll on mine. Mine took 9 months to where i felt like it was normal and another 3 months before i quit feeling like it was weak. SO basically mine was almost a year.

8 years of riding bulls professionally took its toll on mine. Mine took 9 months to where i felt like it was normal and another 3 months before i quit feeling like it was weak. SO basically mine was almost a year.

Took me 12-14 months for mine to heal, IGF-1 LR3 helped a lot towards the end. A lot of post op pain, even with meds. Today, 3yrs later, we are good as new.

I have multi labrum tears in both shoulders.. My dr is going in in feb to just trim it up. His reasoning is that to do full repairs on someone over 35 would make the shoulder joint too tight and prolong rehab..

Labrum tear and surgery sucks major hairy goat balls. Do not and i mean do not try to go faster than needed or you will mess it up. You will get most things back by 6-9 months, however, what i call full recovery and full strength is 12-14 month range. HGH will help you big time in recovery.

:yeahthat:
Labrum tear and surgery sucks major hairy goat balls. Do not and i mean do not try to go faster than needed or you will mess it up. You will get most things back by 6-9 months, however, what i call full recovery and full strength is 12-14 month range. HGH will help you big time in recovery.

Thanks so much for all the replies......

I was hoping it was like getting my knee scoped.....lol

Walk off and up and back to normal in 6 weeks......

It does suck hairy goat balls :banghead:

Had mine done a year ago this summer. The recovery is slow, but even though I'm in my mid 40's and the shoulder finally failed after a lifetime of abuse, my strength is better than ever now. Don't neglect your stretching, even after it seems healed. I started tightening up again this year, had to pay more attention to mobility work...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131