over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lacto-Fermented veggies

Leggo my Ego

Registered
Just wondering how many of you guys incorporate this wonderful genre of nourishment into your nutrition program. The benefits are beyond compare.

I had been buying a brand of lacto-fermented veggies (Bubbies) from my local Sprouts store. This brand makes all of their products with the traditional "old world" method of fermentation. This brand is a little pricey.

If your pickled veggies contain vinegar or if they have been pasteurized, you are short changing yourself and missing out on the wonderful benefits of the lactic acid producing bacteria. Mountaindog1 touched on this in a great read here http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...ow-increase-nutrient-absorption-promised.html

After reading two books which I highly recommend, Nourishing Traditions and Wild Fermentation, I decided to try my hand at my own ferments. My first one was an onion kraut. 1 large cabbage and 1 medium onion pounded with 4 tbsp unrefined sea salt and then stuffed into 2 canning jars. The jars were left to ferment on my fridge covered with a dish towel for 6 days. The jars were "burped" on day 3 and kraut repacked beneath the brine. I opened one of them today and began eating it and let me tell you... UNBELIEVABLE. The other jar is still fermenting... Will open it when my current open jar is gone... Should be nice and ripe by then... :)

Links to the two books I recommended are below.

**broken link removed**

Amazon.com: Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (9781931498234): Sandor Ellix Katz, Sally Fallon: Books

Oh, by the way... It cost me like a buck and a half to make 2 jars of organic kraut, which in my opinion is even better quality than the brand I was buying which was costing me $7 per jar... This batch worked out to be $0.75 per jar! Even my wife is eating it up! LOL

I love Sauerkraut! Have you ever had Kim Chi? I normally buy the spicy variety but it's great with eggs or homemade turkey burgers.

Nourishing Traditions is a great book. I should probably start making my own to cut down on cost too.

Last edited:
I love Sauerkraut! Have you ever had Kim Chi? I normally buy the spicy variety but it's great with eggs or homemade turkey burgers.

Nourishing Traditions is a great book. I should probably start making my own to cut down on cost too.

Haven't tried Kim chee yet. It is on the short list for recipes soon to try. I'm going to try a few free style recipes next though... Got a few 1 gallon glass jars! :headbang:

Got this badboy on the way... Can't wait to make some crazy shit with this! **broken link removed**

My wife actually just made some Kim chi. It's delicious. And I LOVE real sauerkraut. **broken link removed**

Wow. Homemade kraut....go to try this. I love kim chee too. Is the recipe in the book?
We used to go to the korean barbecue often. I just didn't like kim chee on the way out. If you know what I mean.:eek:

My wife actually just made some Kim chi. It's delicious. And I LOVE real sauerkraut. **broken link removed**

Hell yes!! That looks awesome! A hell of a wife you got there!

Wow. Homemade kraut....go to try this. I love kim chee too. Is the recipe in the book?
We used to go to the korean barbecue often. I just didn't like kim chee on the way out. If you know what I mean.:eek:

yep, recipe is in there... Lots of recipes... But lacto-fermentation is a bit of a journey. You make up your own recipes and experiment. I laid out my "recipe" in my opening post

Thanks guys, great idea. I'm getting bored with th usual.
But now the kraut has me craving some hot dogs!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity