over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Large Changes in BMR Over Time

swim15

Registered
I'm a physique competitor who is signed with a talent agency and do work on the side with them apart from my day job/career.

Currently cutting about two weeks out from some shoots and fairly frustrated so wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences/input.

I cut for a paid shoot about two years ago at this exact time. I looked back in my food logs and it was easy. Cals were around 3100, cardio was minimal and came in condition no problem. Now - I'm eating significantly fewer calories and doing more radio and still not leaning out. I'll put the two scenarios below for comparison along with my stats -

Stats
24, male
6'1 currently 228lbs (~8% with about 6-7lbs more to drop)

Cut one Feb 2016
~3100 cals with 15min cardio (got me down to 220lbs flat)
290g carbs
68g fat
340g protein

Cut now 2/2018
~2500 cals and 30min cardio
220g carbs
51g fat
250g protein

Gear
Basically the same (test/tren/anavar), work schedule is the same, school schedule is the same so daily caloric expenditure should be about the same. Hell, my meals are the same foods just smaller.

I started this cut with higher cals but have had to make increasingly drastic drops. Obviously there's no clear cut answer to this but the best thing I could come up with so far is that I've stayed somewhat leaner the past year than I did two years ago and maybe that caused my BMR to drop? Still though, with the same amount of LBM, if not more, and lower regular body fat/increased insulin sensitivity, I'm trying to figure out how there's a 700-900cal difference in consumption/expenditure within the last two years when I'm still this young.

TLDR - I've noticed a big change (700-900cal) in BMR over the last two years given all controllable factors have remained the same.

I know there's no clear answer to this but was hoping for some discussion. Anyone experience or seen anything similar in themselves or clients for coaching?

Last edited:
I found cutting to be much slower this year. It just gets more difficult with age.
Add in some T4 and HGH and watch how fast things improve.

If more calories and less cardio worked last year, why change it up? If it ain't broke don't fix it

I found cutting to be much slower this year. It just gets more difficult with age.
Add in some T4 and HGH and watch how fast things improve.

Should have mentioned I'm using 200mcg T4 and 2.5-3iu of TP's black tops. I was using TP grey tops two years ago but that's about the only change, was using T4 then as well and a different raw supplier but currently using PPL and theirs are slightly better.

Edit - I am also using valsartan (experimenting between 80-160mg) and just started GW501516 @10mg

Last edited:
If more calories and less cardio worked last year, why change it up? If it ain't broke don't fix it

Because I wasn't losing weight (or fat) - hence my comment about having to make more drastic changes this time around

Whatever you did in the past....toss it.... 2 years ago.. your body has changed.... JJ I think hit it .... the older you get the more difficult it becomes....

So the only variables in compounds that I see are a different supplier of T4, the addition of GW501516, and switching from Greys to Blacktops.

From everything I have read....the Blacktops are dosed significantly higher than the greys....so you are actually taking more gh now then the last time unless you have accounted for the higher vial amounts.

Have you had a recent thyroid test. When it comes to BMR....the thyroid is the biggest thing that jumps out to me.

Could taking a higher dose of gh (blacks) result in more suppression of your thyroid, and the amount of T4 you are taking isn't "cutting" it now?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

How are your stress levels?

This is a component that often gets overlooked. Are you more stressed this year compared to when you dieted 2 years ago?

My recovery suffers a bit during school; over the summer it's significantly easier to recover from training because I don't have the same workload.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Whatever you did in the past....toss it.... 2 years ago.. your body has changed.... JJ I think hit it .... the older you get the more difficult it becomes....

Was hoping for some other suggestions that hadn't crossed my mind but you're probably right. I just didn't think it would be such a huge percentage change since I'm still young 22 years old vs 24 years old. If it was 22 vs 30 then I guess I'd be more inclined to immediately think that was the cause.

No two preps are alike. Also, what youve been doing between then and now can make a big difference.
Have you been off gear? Did you take any breaks? Stress is a big factor. Sleep. Thyroid. Do you maintain a clean diet?

It might not be the calories, but the ratios. Maybe carbs arent working for you. Sometimes a change in your foods is all you need to create change

No two preps are alike. Also, what youve been doing between then and now can make a big difference.
Have you been off gear? Did you take any breaks? Stress is a big factor. Sleep. Thyroid. Do you maintain a clean diet?

It might not be the calories, but the ratios. Maybe carbs arent working for you. Sometimes a change in your foods is all you need to create change

Tats what I've tried to think through as well. Diet is pretty clean year around so I can stay ready for jobs, haven't been off gear, I've been taking T4 the entire time, sleep is always adequate (7-8 hours), I'm a pretty low stress person but my life is about the same now as it was then.

I've always done well with low fat, high(er) carb as I won't lose fat even in a deficit for whatever reason with high fat, low carb.

Think I'll take some off time after these projects to see if I just need some metabolic reset as that's about my last thought.

From my 20's through my late 40's I found dieting to work pretty consistently. Now that I am in my 50's it has become slower going. But I stopped training heavy several years back and have lost muscle mass, which I think is a large part of it. A given amount of muscle at the same workload shouldn't change that drastically in 2 years unless there is an some underlying condition from my experience.

If you're ever not sure what's going on... and something seems up, I think getting bloodwork done is the answer. Not just your basic hormone screen.. but things like:

Vit D, Zinc, Magnesium, Folates, Heavy Metals, Iodine, CRP, etc.... Any one of these things off whether high or low could cause problems... 23andMe (genetic test) also taught me a few things to be weary of when getting bloodwork done. The more you know about yourself the better

How often do you diet? Metabolic adaption is real and the more you diet the more your body adapts to these changes and fights you tooth and nail to drop fat.

If its not this, it may be what others have mentioned above-age. But also any lifestyle changes that have possible made you more sedentary.

I had to really up the cardio and lower the calories for 2 months. Once the fat is where you want it then slowly up the carbs and you’ll grow without gaining fat. For awhile you look like tiny flat crap though. But it’s worth it once you fill back out.

If you started leaner and at a higher calorie ceiling, you probably just needed to give the diet time, I have seen a lot of people make this mistake, George Farah taught me that a d showed me examples of many of his clients where he actually took over their diets after they were getting nowhere and significantly increased their calories, they gained initial weight but after 2 weeks their weight started dropping and dropping FAST! this may not be your case but another thing to consider.

sure some bloodwork may reveal some things but...
.is your training up to where it needs to be?
if you r training like a woman with high reps ,squizing, TUT, etc your metabolic rate WILL downragulate for sure...
hard training with intencity will jack your metabolism big time...look at Jordan peters for example and his bodybuilders,,no one relys on cardio while dieting and still all of them use relatevely high cal cause their training is as hard as it gets...

also your explanation of yours at your first post makes sense to me..
maybe you should creep up your cals for a period of time to gain some mass and decondition a bitt before you start ripping phase again ..with that scenario your starting baseline cals would be higher for sure and you wouldnt need to lower them so much ( relatively to the past) to get the same results..

also b-boy s opinion seems logical too..

also your explanation of yours at your first post makes sense to me..
maybe you should creep up your cals for a period of time to gain some mass and decondition a bitt before you start ripping phase again ..with that scenario your starting baseline cals would be higher for sure and you wouldnt need to lower them so much ( relatively to the past) to get the same results..

also b-boy s opinion seems logical too..

LOL - yeh b-boy May know a thing or two

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420