over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

lateral raises only for delts?

IF YOU HAVE SHOULDER JOINTS MADE OF TITANIUM GO AHEAD AND PRESS.. lol.. the vast majority of people, in my humble opinion, will develop issues from shoulder presses.. you pound the hell oiut of the shoulder joint doing chest.. then back.. then maybe tris (close grip bench and dips).. the people actually pile on the weight for over head presses. when i see videos of guys doing 4 or 5 reps on the shoulder press i cringe.. most can not take that year after year.. ask us older guys lol..

i did not do much in the way of heavy overheads ever.. just laterals.. but even the limited amount took its toll on my mine.. (my joint integrity does suck) take it from me and numerous others in my age group.. IT WILL CATCH UP TO YA.. unless you are that genetic elite .. concentrate on rear delt work.. (no one has over developed rear delts.. the more developed the better.. makes the whole delt look rounded.. plus it prevents many shoulder issues). and side laterals.. no delt is ever too capped...

IF YOU HAVE SHOULDER JOINTS MADE OF TITANIUM GO AHEAD AND PRESS.. lol.. the vast majority of people, in my humble opinion, will develop issues from shoulder presses.. you pound the hell oiut of the shoulder joint doing chest.. then back.. then maybe tris (close grip bench and dips).. the people actually pile on the weight for over head presses. when i see videos of guys doing 4 or 5 reps on the shoulder press i cringe.. most can not take that year after year.. ask us older guys lol..

i did not do much in the way of heavy overheads ever.. just laterals.. but even the limited amount took its toll on my mine.. (my joint integrity does suck) take it from me and numerous others in my age group.. IT WILL CATCH UP TO YA.. unless you are that genetic elite .. concentrate on rear delt work.. (no one has over developed rear delts.. the more developed the better.. makes the whole delt look rounded.. plus it prevents many shoulder issues). and side laterals.. no delt is ever too capped...

I'd have to agree! I'm only 29 and been working out hard since i was 18 and already having shoulder issues in the front delts specifically. Been out of the gym now going on 3 weeks due to this (as well as back issues), even doing just 15 push ups kills me right now! For now on only lateral and rear for delt work and will also advise anyone else i know the same. I've also noticed in the past i would skip front delt work and after 6 months my front delts still looked just as good as when i was training them with presses so really didn't make any difference in appearance or strength so again why ever do shoulder presses??? I know i won't be anymore, fun to do but in the long run not worth it at all!

Rear laterals always felt weird to me. Are you doing them bent over or on a bench.

I use the rear lateral machine and do 3-4 sets palms facing each other, and 3-4 sets palms down.

I always had a strong chest and lagging delts- so I thought.
My problem was, F O R M. I for many years emulated side raises from other people and assumed I was hitting the targeted lateral delts. My problem was, I was pinning my shoulders back way too much and only getting minimal ( if any) stimulation.
When I found an article instructing me to put my hand moreso in front of me and raise in arc, that's when I started putting a cap on my shoulders. Pressing should be done in my opinion with moderation. I can do 315 free shoulder presses for 10, but Im way more comfortable with less weight for more tension.

Most bodybuilder have shitty rear delts because they don't work them hard enough. They do their bench press crap and end up with huge front delts and no rear delts. If you want huge symmetrical delts then you don't neglect any aspect of them.

I do military, side laterals, rear laterals, and front laterals super setted with laterals in between the side and front position.

Yeah that's what i'm thinking. Laterals only? Where is this thread going?? Well there is a Male Physique body and a Bodybuilders body.

H-

Rear laterals always felt weird to me. Are you doing them bent over or on a bench.

LOL @ rear laterals on a bench.

How hard is it to bend over and do rear laterals? Pretty easy and it engages your rear delt very well. Then go exhaust the rears with a machine.

LOL @ rear laterals on a bench.

How hard is it to bend over and do rear laterals? Pretty easy and it engages your rear delt very well. Then go exhaust the rears with a machine.

I like them bent over a bench because I can round my back a little bit and completely take my traps out of it.

Listen at about the 4 minute mark of this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6TWq6fZn8]Dorian Yates Q&A #2 - Bodycoaches.net Webinar - YouTube[/ame]

Thought provoking.

Lol. Not sure what happened there. Didn't realise is posted haha. Thought provoking lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

shoulders are my best body part...side laterals, bent over rear lateral and front drumbell raises. so I can use dumbells for my entire shoulder workout. but I usually throw in some hammer strength shoulder presses. everyone is different just find what works and doesn't cause u any injury.

Branch Warren said it required getting his military press to 405 before he developed winning shoulders....

Steve Kuclo said it took getting his military to 405 also before he thought his shoulders started looking "pro quality"

Branch Warren said it required getting his military press to 405 before he developed winning shoulders....

Steve Kuclo said it took getting his military to 405 also before he thought his shoulders started looking "pro quality"

405 for 1 rep or reps?

Ive been seeing more and more pros getting away from shoulder presses over the last few years. Part of the reason people do them is tradition. Back in the old days standing military presses were one of the power exercises for the upper body. This was before bench presses came along. Military presses were the Bench Presses of that day. Of course, Ive also seen more guys getting away from full-range flat barbell Bench Presses as well substituting another version due to a lower injury risk.

I think press behind neck and db presses are the best choice if you want to maintain and improve overhead strength as they work more of the side head.

I come down so my upper arm is parallel and no farther to avoid rotator cuff mayhem.

BPC - 57 keeps me benching.

That sad part is 2 years ago when my shoulders were starting to get good (for me) I was upright rowing 225 for 5 reps which is more than I weight.

Maybe doing 50s for sets of 12 with dumbell laterals with arms to my sides with good form.

Overhead press? Barely 135 for a couple reps.:eek:

In the gym I'm hanging with the big boys on lateral movements and with the girls on overhead movements.

That's why I'm reluctant to abandon overhead pressing, I have shit strenght overhead.

If I'm overtraining my front delts undertraining doesn't do much better.

These days I do 3 sets bench, 3 sets press behind neck or db press and then move on to lateral or upright row.

Seems to work to improve my overhead strength and side delt without overtraining front delts.

I do about 5 sets of presses, while I do 15 sets of sidelaterals.

yup! front raises never done shit for my shoulders except make then stronger the only thing that made mine bigger and round is a bunch of lateral raises

Ditto with what Phil says. I've had too many shoulder surgeries and injury. Not worth pressing overhead anymore.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131