lateral raises

root your feet
sit into your stance
brace your stomach like you're about to get punched
roll shoulders slightly forward like going into a most muscular
lift the elbows, let the weight follow

correct inconsistencies from there

Reactions: bob
Whatever the case may be......I'm thinking if a barfight ever broke out, I would want to be on the same side as that guy.
Good point!

I don't believe in the whole "thumbs down" or "pouring a pitcher" methods as these are not functional movements.

My favorite cue is: "The weight is moving through an arc. You can lift the weight up to move it through the arc OR you can push the weight out to move it through the arc. Lifting uses traps, to use delts push the weight out to move it through the arc."
I remember an article a trainer wrote years ago explaining how the bursas could be agitated more with the thumbs down method causing pain pain/injury for some people.

I remember an article a trainer wrote years ago explaining how the bursas could be agitated more with the thumbs down method causing pain pain/injury for some people.
I know that if I concentrate on doing that, it hurts my shoulders. I stopped it.

This is very, very true.

I love using cables or lying on my side on an incline bench if using dumbbells. Super strict and controlled forces so much blood in my delts that it almost has to be the last thing that I'm training. I currently have a strain or tendonitis in my right forearm where it ties into the elbow, making them almost impossible to do though, for the past few months. If I attach the weigh to my wrist using a strap that I rigged up (cable side delt raises only not for DB) instead of holding it in my hand, I can do them almost pain free though. Anybody have a fix?

The shoulder is the scapula and vice versa. If a person is in a position of scapular retraction and depression(shoulders down and back), it puts the humorous in a position at the GH joint that impedes internal rotation. This could be impinging when cueing thumbs down if you abduct high enough(not even to parallel for some). You can certainly do them this way and cue to lift elbows out(not up) without internally rotating and hit the medial delt great.

Additionally, if you protract your shoulder blades slightly(still maintaining depression/neutrality) so the humorous can move to 20-30 degrees to the anterior of the joint. You can internally rotate a bit more safely and still get good distribution of mechanical tension across the entire delt.

It's the most abused exercise around .. first off your posture is what dictates what muscle is receiving the most stress.. so grab your dumbells.. do not retract your shoulders.. nor do you protract your shoulders.. stand up with ridged back .. shoulders neutral .. the hand shoukd not be above the elbow.. why ? Because the second this rotation happens the rotator and front delt start to receive stress.. the hand ( at level ) with elbow or just slightly below it.. palms facing the ground.. there is no need to bring the dumbells infront of crotch.. . gravity is king.. let them come straight down and then back up..

Have you ever wonder why women bodybuilders and physique have better caps than the majority of the guys? They go by cues of the exercise.. not the number on the bell..

Whatever the case may be......I'm thinking if a barfight ever broke out, I would want to be on the same side as that guy.
Reminds me of me at peak lol, brute chaos

I will also add that cables and lateral raise machines are superior in terms of tension throughout the movement.. again dumbells are limited by gravity. Little tension at the start and loaded at the top..

It closes up the AC joint as well so unless you have a lot of extra room in there you can easily impinge or irritate the biceps tendon or the supraspinatus tendon.

Use light weight
Imagine you're trying to look like a scarecrow with dumbbells while repping , always keep arms pretty straight with slight elbow bend
Control the negative

Other ways you can "feel" the delts and have a better mind muscle connection are to massage primarily the anterior delts beforehand
Getting a good pump enables you to know your hitting them , so you can throw in techniques such as stopping midway before fully in the negative and going back up.
Also changing positioning of your hands and arms - 5 reps with your hands past your waist then 5 reps at the hips then 5 reps behind the back
Dropsets are great too

Hard movement for some to feel , so it's important to really focus on the movement and keep it controlled

Dumbbells too heavy, and the final part of the movement will be faulty or incomplete. Dumbbells too light and the initial part of the movement will hardly be felt. Or you can divide the exercise into 2 partial parts.

But I feel like bands or cables are better, less risk of injury.

All of this applies exactly the same for the rear deltoid raises.

Any good YouTube videos y’all have found that the form is really good?

Any good YouTube videos y’all have found that the form is really good?
Saw this one years ago and it instantly clicked with me:

Another one:

I´ve yet to try this, but if it comes from John, it most likely works:

Sit down and press your back into an adjustable bench with the backing fully upright. Squeeze your scapula together. and hold it in position during each rep do not relax the scapula. Focus on brining the weights 3/4 shoulder height but not completely parallel with the shoulders at the top of the move.
I just helped my buddy with this yesterday and now his shoulder doesnt "click" and he can feel the move properly. Also probably go lighter. Start with 5lb dumbells and do reps of 30 to warm up and feel it out.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131