over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Latest full heart check

dale338

Registered
So I just wrapped up my full workup that I plan to do annually by my cardiologist. This included an EKG, echocardiogram, stress test and blood work, etc.

Everything came back good...except. The echo was of course the main test.

Cardiologist consults with me and states the following about the echo.

I have no issues with anything I'm seeing. You have great output, no enlargement of the heart anywhere, your valves look great, no defects. The only thing I noticed was an ever so slight enlargement of your right aorta. Nothing to worry about now, but perhaps something we should check again in 3-4 years.

My question is, anything I can do to correct this "ever so slight enlargement?" He didn't seem concerned, after all, I'm 50 years old, and I'm guessing most people's hearts will show some mileage in some capacity by age 50?

Stop working out? Your heart is a muscle..

Id be surprised if anyone that trains regularly doesn't have an enlarged heart..

It's the truth. Even in hard training athletes who never use PEDs or even just HRT, they often have enlarged hearts.

Well he did not say my heart itself was enlarged, just my right aorta.

So I just wrapped up my full workup that I plan to do annually by my cardiologist. This included an EKG, echocardiogram, stress test and blood work, etc.

I have no issues with anything I'm seeing. You have great output, no enlargement of the heart anywhere, your valves look great, no defects. The only thing I noticed was an ever so slight enlargement of your right aorta. Nothing to worry about now, but perhaps something we should check again in 3-4 years.

My question is, anything I can do to correct this "ever so slight enlargement?" He didn't seem concerned, after all, I'm 50 years old, and I'm guessing most people's hearts will show some mileage in some capacity by age 50?

Did you ask the cardiologist this question? If so, what did he say? Are you hoping there will be a cardiologist on a PED forum that can give advice on something like this? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but I don't get why people with serious medical issues come on a muscle board looking for advice to fix it.

it's not about enlargement per se..

it's about the nature of the enlargement

what is your blood pressure?

do you take any BP meds?

I wouldn't worry about it if the cardiologist isn't concerned. Just follow up like they say. An enlarged heart and slow heart beat is associated with sports.

This is definitely something to keep an eye on. Did you get a copy of the report? What exactly was the measurement of your aorta? If it gets to 5cm, you need surgery. This is exactly what happened to me. It is possible that it will never enlarge any more, but knowing the measurement is critical. Once it gets large enough, chances are it will continue to grow. My step father's mother's was 4.2cm her whole life and she never needed it to be operated on.

The key is to monitor your blood pressure. Get it down as low as possible to keep this from getting worse.

Last edited:
Stop working out? Your heart is a muscle..

Id be surprised if anyone that trains regularly doesn't have an enlarged heart..

It's the truth. Even in hard training athletes who never use PEDs or even just HRT, they often have enlarged hearts.

With all due respect (and please don't take this the wrong way), if you guys are just guessing or aren't sure what you're talking about, please don't offer advice about something as serious and sensitive as this. An enlarged aorta is not athlete's heart or left ventricle hypertrophy that is common with weight lifters and endurance runners. It is downright irresponsible to respond to the original question in the manner in which you both have.

Did you ask the cardiologist this question? If so, what did he say? Are you hoping there will be a cardiologist on a PED forum that can give advice on something like this? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but I don't get why people with serious medical issues come on a muscle board looking for advice to fix it.

Please don't take this personal, but there have been so many renowned individuals (some who are cardiologists or cardiac sonographers) who have come and gone on this forum. It takes just a minute to ask this question for free. Just because you don't know the answer, doesn't give you the right to tell the person he can't ask on an open forum. I have personal experience with this and would happily help. Don't tell him no one here can help besides his cardiologist.

Last edited:
Guys his heart isn't enlarged, his aorta is...

Your doc is worried about aneurysms, but there is no real predictor, which is why he said, "keep an eye on it."

Studies have shown up to a 300 point increase in blood pressure during heavy lifting. I would use caution when lifting heavy, keep the airway always open, reduce blood pressure, don't overdue stims, etc.

Lifting 50+ everyone should be doing this, arterial walls get weak and aneurysms are no joke.

With all due respect (and please don't take this the wrong way), if you guys are just guessing or aren't sure what you're talking about, please don't offer advice about something as serious and sensitive as this. An enlarged aorta is not athlete's heart or left ventricle hypertrophy that is common with weight lifters and endurance runners. It is downright irresponsible to respond to the original question in the manner in which you both have.

Please don't take this personal, but there have been so many renowned individuals (some who are cardiologists or cardiac sonographers) who have come and gone on this forum. It takes just a minute to ask this question for free. Just because you don't know the answer, doesn't give you the right to tell the person he can't ask on an open forum. I have personal experience with this and would happily help. Don't tell him no one here can help besides his cardiologist.

I don't take it personal, and I respect your point. I'm certainly not telling anyone what they should or should not post, but I think you also made my point. I'd be wary of someone giving really damaging advice and the poster following it.

Im 52,,cruise blast for 15 years now. On blood pressure meds. No more blasting for me tho..last year i was diagnosed with,, enlarge heart within the normal range,,lower left ventricle is slightly thicker than supposed to be. I go every 12 weeks to the cardiologist,since the diagnoses, they just released me to every 6 months.

Good news is that he didn't say the anterior inter-ventricular branch of the left coronary artery aka widow maker

Guys his heart isn't enlarged, his aorta is...

Your doc is worried about aneurysms, but there is no real predictor, which is why he said, "keep an eye on it."

Studies have shown up to a 300 point increase in blood pressure during heavy lifting. I would use caution when lifting heavy, keep the airway always open, reduce blood pressure, don't overdue stims, etc.

Lifting 50+ everyone should be doing this, arterial walls get weak and aneurysms are no joke.

Yes. I would say perhaps concentrate more on higher reps (10-20) and be careful to not do a Valsalva maneuver when you are lifting heavy in things like squats. This means to always breathe in when you are doing the negative part of the movement and out when you do the positive part. So in squats breathe in when you are coming down and then go right into breathing out when you are coming up. Don't hold your breath!

This is definitely something to keep an eye on. Did you get a copy of the report? What exactly was the measurement of your aorta? If it gets to 5cm, you need surgery. This is exactly what happened to me. It is possible that it will never enlarge any more, but knowing the measurement is critical. Once it gets large enough, chances are it will continue to grow. My step father's mother's was 4.2cm her whole life and she never needed it to be operated on.

The key is to monitor your blood pressure. Get it down as low as possible to keep this from getting worse.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback and things to check for. Will call the cardiologist and get copy of the report and see what the measurement is. I was literally on the phone with him for thirty seconds on the followup. He started the conversation saying nothing concerned him and he had no issues with the results, but then through in the "slight aorta enlargement" right at the end. Sort of through me off as his initial tone was that, "you heart is perfect" LOL. He also said I have no plaque buildup etc.

But for sure I have something to keep an eye on. I plan to get another echo done in a year to see if there is any changes. My BP is good mornings usually something like 110/65, of course higher when checked later in the day after activities etc.

Really appreciate those of you who have experience with heart related things chiming in.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback and things to check for. Will call the cardiologist and get copy of the report and see what the measurement is. I was literally on the phone with him for thirty seconds on the followup. He started the conversation saying nothing concerned him and he had no issues with the results, but then through in the "slight aorta enlargement" right at the end. Sort of through me off as his initial tone was that, "you heart is perfect" LOL. He also said I have no plaque buildup etc.

But for sure I have something to keep an eye on. I plan to get another echo done in a year to see if there is any changes. My BP is good mornings usually something like 110/65, of course higher when checked later in the day after activities etc.

Really appreciate those of you who have experience with heart related things chiming in.

That blood pressure is excellent as I am sure you know. It's possible you had some hypertension for a while that enabled some growth of the aorta or it could be genetic. If this was your first echo, it's possible your aorta was like this since birth or for a very long time (in which case you have nothing to worry about).

The extreme worst case is it grows and you get it fixed through open heart (like me). However, if it grows too much before getting surgery, you can dissect and that can be fatal. But you will obviously get another check up at some point to make sure that isn't the case.

That blood pressure is excellent as I am sure you know. It's possible you had some hypertension for a while that enabled some growth of the aorta or it could be genetic. If this was your first echo, it's possible your aorta was like this since birth or for a very long time (in which case you have nothing to worry about).

The extreme worst case is it grows and you get it fixed through open heart (like me). However, if it grows too much before getting surgery, you can dissect and that can be fatal. But you will obviously get another check up at some point to make sure that isn't the case.

Yeah, pro bodybuilder Kris Dim had that happen.

Yeah, pro bodybuilder Kris Dim had that happen.

And he actually survived the dissection by making it to the hospital in time. Even came back and competed. Then suffered awful luck and had another surgery that left him paralyzed (in which the details were really sketchy)

But anyways, as long as the op continues to maintain that healthy blood pressure and take care of his heart, hopefully nothing will come out of this as his doctor didn't make it seem too worrisome. Discontinuing weight lifting would be a dramatic step to take for someone who is devoted to it and probably not necessary (especially if he takes your no-Valsalva and higher rep advice).

There was actually a brief few years of my life where I was not in the best shape and did have higher blood pressure. 2-3 depressive years after my divorce. Other than that, I've always been in the gym and had pretty good BP.

As you noted in you other post, no chance I stop training. LOL. It's what keeps me sane, it's my escape and being somewhat built is part of my identity and unless a doctor told me I'm gonna drop dead, I doubt I'd ever give it up. I do still do heavy sets, but will be more aware as I'm 50 now. The only real difference for me in my training at this point is, I do less supersets. I take longer breaks between sets and really it physically feels like I have to anymore. I get winded much easier, but I think some of that is from my hematocrit being about 50. Not sure. Otherwise I feel pretty good. The low dose GH, really does seem to be doing me well overall. I truly believe it does slow, or even slightly reverse aging affects. I look younger then I did 4-6 years ago.

Open heart surgery scares the hell out of me, but I will say if you need it, you probably thank the God's we can do some pretty miraculous things with medical these days. I know several people over the years who were extremely ill, almost on death's door and got life saving heart surgeries and went on to run races, workout and got better. I have a friend who at age 46 had aorta surgery and at age 51 last year completed a marathon....Valve issues, stints and so on corrected. At some point in life, if we live long enough, we likely will all face some type of heart related issues.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws