over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lats always sore after chest day

medici999

Banned
Is this down to poor technique?

Im not doing really heavy so form is strict.

Thanks

Lats are used during bench press and similar movements.

I notice after heavy bench days, as long as my form is good my lats are pretty sore. Elite Fitness Systems has a video series called "So You Think You Can Bench" that talks all about why the lats should be engaged in a good bench.

Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics

Functional anatomy: The chest AND lats BOTH are used in upper arm ADDUCTION (bringing the arm down to the side)

Biomechanics: how the upper arm is angle/placed can affect how much load is placed on which muscle... upper arm more in front of the body, the more the chest will be activated... the more the upper arms goes "behind" the body, the more the lats are activated... try playing around with a lighter weight and different arm postions and how you feel the chest is being activated.

Typically I bench with a powerlifting style bench. The lats are harshly contracted and everything is kept tight. To keep your chest up, you'll need to contract your lats and arch the back. Therefore, your lats will be sore if they're not used to all the work, or if you contract them extra hard.

Also, everything Myosin said is solid as always :)

^I do the exact same thing when training chest. Your lats will get used to the strain over time.

^I do the exact same thing when training chest. Your lats will get used to the strain over time.

I can actually say that my lats are one part I have never experienced any type of soreness in what so ever! Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something wrong! lol

the sorest my lats have ever been in my life always came after a hard chest session lol..

Serratus anteriors get worked pretty hard on bench press. Mine are always sore after a good bench press day.

Your right,,,lats comeinto play alot more than people think while benching. Maybe you should try a different exercise that puts more direct focus for you on pecs?

Flys or using DB's to Isolate the pecs more.... Unless your into powerlifting.

bringing my shoulder blades hard together while pressing reduces the pain in my lats

Lats and chest are perfect for supersetting due to the fact they are opposing muscle groups. This was one of Arnold's favorite ways to train. Working them both together stretches and contracts the opposing muscles for optimum gains.

someone please BAN that mother fucker Roid guy that spams

low and standing cable row I just started doing a couple weeks now and man I love this exercise!! I love the blood pump for sure!! and I can feel the chest contraction as well.:headbang:

I can never get soreness in my lats doing pull downs/ups, but a good heavy decline bench certainly does the trick. I thought for awhile it was bad form somehow but it seems to be normal so that's good :D

Lats and chest are perfect for supersetting due to the fact they are opposing muscle groups. This was one of Arnold's favorite ways to train. Working them both together stretches and contracts the opposing muscles for optimum gains.

YES!!!! one day a long time ago i decided to change things up and did chest and back together..i have been doing both together ever since fantastic growth in back and chest!!!! But in the end you have to know your own body and what works best. Instinctive training is the way to go...I was a routine guy for a long time i kinda regret it....

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws