over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

LBA's revisited...

bigfatandugly

Registered
ok, i have read thru a majority of the threads in the archives but i am still can't make heads or tails of how much of this stuff i will need a day. yes, i'm slow. :)

basically i have 3 questions- how much LBA's will i need to take in a day if i currently use 300-350 gr. of isolate daily? i pretty much use powder exclusively, red meat is used a few times a week.

would the amount i need change if i am pre-contest? usually i up my protein somewhat, but from what i understand it isn't the amount of protein in the LBA that makes the LBA effective, it's the, well, LBA's.

finally, how long would a gallon of TP's LBA's last me?

thanks for the feedback guys.

BFU

General recommendations are 3-4 TBSP 3-4x/day in between meals, or as a replacement for some or all of your protein in a meal - depending on bodyweight and goals. I've seem 1TBSP being about equal to 10g of whole food protein.

Getting 300-350g of protein from isolate powders each day is crazy, and I almost get that stuff for free...eat more whole foods.

Depending on how much you use, a gallon will last you anywhere from 2-8 weeks - that's up to you.

General recommendations are 3-4 TBSP 3-4x/day in between meals, or as a replacement for some or all of your protein in a meal - depending on bodyweight and goals. I've seem 1TBSP being about equal to 10g of whole food protein.

Getting 300-350g of protein from isolate powders each day is crazy, and I almost get that stuff for free...eat more whole foods.

Depending on how much you use, a gallon will last you anywhere from 2-8 weeks - that's up to you.

i would like to use it solely to better gauge how well it will work for me.

i like liquid meals for a number of reason- quicker absorption, convenience, etc.

today's powders are so complete there really is no benefit to whole food protein sources imo other than thermic effect and satiation, but i'm not opposed to the odd steak here and there. but only here and there as i am about to start dieting. chicken breast i can't eat after a 14 week prep eating 3 pounds of it a day. fish flattens me out too much.

BFU

Last edited:
I was told by the manufacturer that 1 gram of LBA protein is equal to 5 grams found in whole foods. They recommended me using 3 tablespoons 3 times per day. First thing in the morning is very important, then sip on the next one throughout the day, then another right after your workout. I would try to use less protein powders if I was you and more solid foods.

Due to amino acids inducing a refractory state in the body, you would want to have separate pulses of feedings not a constant supply...this applies to amino acids in particular. So I would not sip on an amino acid drink, you should drink it all in one go.

See Layne Norton's presentation at the ISSN on this, the studies he's referencing are very relevant...

As the levels of leucine are slightly lower in LBAs, I would not expect a 1:5 ratio to whole foods to be plausible. E.g. whey protein has about 30% BCAAs and you can consider 10g of BCAA to be about 30g of whey. LBAs I would say is closer to 1:2 or 1:3. So 3TBSP (15g of amino acids) could possibly equal 45g of whole food proteins.

Last edited:
Due to amino acids inducing a refractory state in the body, you would want to have separate pulses of feedings not a constant supply...this applies to amino acids in particular. So I would not sip on an amino acid drink, you should drink it all in one go.

See Layne Norton's presentation at the ISSN on this, the studies he's referencing are very relevant...

As the levels of leucine are slightly lower in LBAs, I would not expect a 1:5 ratio to whole foods to be plausible. E.g. whey protein has about 30% BCAAs and you can consider 10g of BCAA to be about 30g of whey. LBAs I would say is closer to 1:2 or 1:3. So 3TBSP (15g of amino acids) could possibly equal 45g of whole food proteins.

Wouldnt you be better taking 10g BCAA's, 10g Leucine as opposed to LBA's then? Even add some Creatine/L-Glutamine pre and post workout?

1 gram of LBA protein is equal to 5 grams found in whole foods.
So just build on that. Send them 3 dollars for a bottle and when they say, "Hey! What's the deal?"

Say, "One of my dollars is equal to 5 regular dollars so you owe me two dollars."

no

Wouldnt you be better taking 10g BCAA's, 10g Leucine as opposed to LBA's then? Even add some Creatine/L-Glutamine pre and post workout?

No because BCAA, Leucine together do not make protein.......even with added glutamine .........LBA are complete protein, far different than BCAAs. I would use both products.

I agree with Phil here. Although BCAA has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis independently, all amino acids play a role in the structural repairs, recovery and overall growth process not just pre+post-WO but also the rest of the day and into the next 1-2 days when the training effect is manifested.

ZING!!!!

So just build on that. Send them 3 dollars for a bottle and when they say, "Hey! What's the deal?"

Say, "One of my dollars is equal to 5 regular dollars so you owe me two dollars."

that's a good one!!!!!!!

so, i'm looking at about 20 tbsp a day to replace my powder intake at 350 grms....

so, 1.5 oz in 3 tbsp. @ 20 tbsp a day leaves a gallon lasting 12 days or so.

i think.

lol.

well, i'm spending $65 a week on powder, so that doesn't seem too bad, provided my math is correct- i'm canadian and am not familiar with your conversions.

:)

BFU

so, i'm looking at about 20 tbsp a day to replace my powder intake at 350 grms....

so, 1.5 oz in 3 tbsp. @ 20 tbsp a day leaves a gallon lasting 12 days or so.

i think.

lol.
U

Your math is correct. 128 oz in a gallon, 256 tbsp so at your planned 20 a day it would be 12.8 days.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear